Quote:

Quote:

"you cannot harden stainless" tell that to the custom knifemakers who use surgical grade stainless steel in their creations......

I agree that "stainless steel" is a pretty general term. But the common 300 series stainless steels can't be hardened by heat treatment like a high carbon steel. I think that's what the comment actually meant.

and as i stated in the begining, i have not been able to find "good quality" ss bolts i would TRUST to use in suspension applications for street or track use. the most COMMON ss fasteners available today are hardware store imports which are ABSOLUTELY NOT SUITABLE for suspension use. even the "specialty" nuts & bolts places that sell "showcar" stainless fasteners are suspect to me because i feel the asking price for their products seem to indicate only moderate quality. high quality ss fasteners are EXPENSIVE ! oh, don't forget the anti-seize or the threads WILL gall...... and not to stir the pot, but i'm just wondering if "surgical grade" stainless would be suitable for automotive use. maybe apples to cumquats comparison ?

metalurgy and strength of materials have been with me for over 40 years. i understand most don't have the experiance, so i try to simplify explanations.

Last edited by moparx; 04/02/13 11:00 PM.