Current tires are 255/70/15, not sure about the gears in the stock 8 1/4, but I'm thinking 3:23. I think it was listed on the underhood sticker. Will have to check again next weekend.

Would this 86 have the 302 heads and roller cam? Don't really think this would improve my situation one way or the other, I was just curious if it's what I had.

Would a four barrel be an improvement over the 2bbl? I still have the t-quad from the 440. Would that be too big for the little 318 if I got a manifold? I never did remove the intake to clean out the passages. But it also doesn't run hot.

I think my problem with the vacuum advance was that I didn't have a ported vacuum source. It was full time vacuum. I've thought of getting an older carter bbd carb, either used or reman. Biggest problem always comes down to money. I can dream until Jesus comes back, but that isn't gonna get me anywhere. I guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet one of these days and make a decision on what I'm really going to do.

Scratch, the distributor I used was one of those Chinese ready-to-run dizzy's off ebay. Been trouble free so far and the most notable improvement I've seen with it is the once shaky tach needle is now steady as a rock.