Nitrousn, not trying to argue with you here. Like you said, you've done this since 72. I would just like a little more clarification for better understanding. What confuses me most about your advise is all the people who purposely block off that passage with no ill effects. I realize that's mostly done for performance applications, but if I'm understanding the logic right that shouldn't matter.

If I understand the purpose of the crossover correctly, it is to warm the manifold and air charge when cold by directing hot exhaust gasses thru the intake underneath the carb plenum. I can see where warming the air charge on a cold winter Ohio morning would be a benefit, but in my situation, the hesitation occurs winter or summer and first start in the morning or after driving for 30 miles. And although it would be really great, I'm not going to buy the 10 mpg improvement claimed by Doc Fiberglass. I could see a small mileage increase, but that much would be a small miracle.

I probably should have done this years ago when you first suggested it, but I didn't and now I'm moving into a situation where it's going to be prohibitive. I'm moving into an apartment complex and they generally tend to frown on major engine work like that. If I can get them to allow me to remove the intake, it will probably be a one time deal, so I need to decide if I'm going to stick with this 2 bbl or go with a 4 bbl. The 2 bbl would be cheaper, but I would rather have the 4 bbl. Either way, it's not anything that's going to happen soon. Right now I'm just looking for possible tuning advice that would improve the drivability and increase the mileage even just a little.

Thanks