318, worn out q-jet, a999 HS/LU trans, headers/duels, 8 1/4-2.76 gear, 235/75/15 tires.

19+ mpg at 55 mph 80 miles round trip to work x5days

went to a 727 HS non lock up trans and seems to stay the same this past week for work on milage.

same thing,set timing with vac gauge for highest reading,fine tuning it with the idle mixture screws, set curb idle at 650/750 rpm

use ported vac on the dist unhook and plug when tuning. most times mine have wound up around 10-14 degrees BTDC 750 rpm.

I just slaped a stock cast iron 4-v intake on the 302# headed 318 with the q-jet. and mind you it does have a small lunati roller cam so it runs like a teen should run.

drive it like GrandMa and keep it under 60 mph with nice slow take off from dead stops.

give the finger as the speed junkies go around you.

I remember that post,it was the power piston stuck in the up position IIRC, that will make one run rich and have a bog off the line with light throttle

they can stick up/down/middle ways and cuse poor performance.

also open the carb to make sure it has not suck charcoil from the canister into the carb bowl and clogged things up in it.

if you stay with a BBD carb get the oldest carb you can find 68-75 are much better to work with.IMHO