Demon1515, I take my recommendations seriously. When you mentioned what Bobby told you, I reached out to him because it didn't sound like the Bobby I dealt with. I referred him to this post and received this response from him:

"...when he asked for machining on the block and engine as a whole I figured the heads also, and this included the head work too. He also told me that he balanced his own rods and pistons, and that they were after market parts. I asked him if he had the bobweight numbers, and he asked what they were. Then I told him that I would have to recheck the parts so I had all the numbers to see what the bobweight total was. He told me that he had the rod and piston weight. I told him theres more to it than that, and needed ring weight and amount of oil , and pin weight, and locks if any.

Then he says I just need the crank balanced. So I told him that I could balance the crank but if it had vibrations it still belonged to him and that I wouldn't stand behind it, only doing half the balancing. See he really wasn't sure what the rod or piston weight was as he couldn't tell me the weights. I also told him that if he was sure on his balancing that the price would be $2,300.00 to $2,500.00 for the complete job. This is what I was quoting him for.

Align bore ...........................200.00
Bore and hone.....................320.00
square deck block.................250.00
cleaning...............................125.00
install cam brgs.....................40.00
Balance assembly complete...350.00 + mallory metal
Install pistons on rods............96.00
surface heads on deck and intake side....175.00
Valve guides..........................160.00
cut guids for seals..................60.00
cut spring seats for big springs...60.00
Bowl cut heads.....................150.00
comp. valve job....................250.00
clean and blast heads............50.00
Gasket match heads Int. side..125.00
port exh. side........................200.00
valve stem seals....................40.00
-----------------------total.........$2,651.00

Now I told him that to balance the crank only would save him $200.00 so that brought the total to $2,451.00 just where I told him it would cost. I told him $2,800.00 with balancing all parts. And this gave me a cushion for the mallory metal that may be needed. As most std. cranks with a flywheel and pressure plates need to balance them correctly.

If you add up just what he want's in the block I come out to $1,085.00."

Based on what Bobby wrote, it sounds like you guys may have just had a misunderstanding as he quoted you almost the same price as Goza did for similar work. Goza has a good reputation and I'm sure will do you a good job.

I decided to post his response as I don't want other people in the area thinking Bobby quoted you a crazy price on your requested machine work.

Good luck with your engine !

Randy

Dixie Restoration Parts
Phone -(770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-5pm EST
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.