Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Took apart 20 years ago ?!?!?!? Wow, nothing like rushing a project !! heh heh heh . . .kidding of course.

Guess I was just getting frustrated with not really seeing much progress and then running into an issue with the ac/heat fan control. But you know, taking time away and reflecting on what an issue could be, is good ! Now that I have that solved and few other little things done, I am on cloud nine again !!! The light at the end of the tunnel is getting much brighter !!!

Good luck to everyone with your project !

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

I actually got the car out of Calgary 23 years ago. Started the restoration and then life got in the way. Job, wife, other hobbies, playing with other cars all got in the way.

Now it's back on track and should be done before summer.

Cheers
Chris

Wow Chris . . . my car came from LA way back in the 70's. Was able to talk to original owner and he said he ordered it as his "Baby GTX" . . . 318, factory a/c, cruise control, console auto, 6way drivers seat, deluxe steering wheel, and FC7 In Violet with black vinyl top !! Hopefully will be able to drive it to Spring Fling 2013 !!! . . .

I dropped my car off (empty shell, totally bare with everything removed, only a rolling chasiss) on May 21, 2011 and got back from body shop on Dec. 28, 2011 ! 7 months of body work and paint.

Mark

I know many guys in the paint and body business, like 4 of them that I know real well. So I have hung around body shops and know some, plus I have been painting work trucks for 25 years. Just didn't know bodywork.
So when it came time for the body work on my 71 challenger, MARZ528 came and helped me. I meet him through moparts!!
I also called a guy who has painted race cars for me, so I know him and he knows me. He came to my shop and looked at the car while I was doing the body work myself. We talked about chemicals and paint. So I and Marz528 put 205 hours into bodywork. I think it's ready for paint.

Load it up and take out to my buddys shop. He calls me the next day wanting trim to fit before paint. Humm, never thought of that. I take other stuff out too for him to fit first.

I go out there everyday after work and look at time cards to see that at least 2 guys a day is working on my car. I go there everyday for 10 days, that's all it took and it was painted, cut and buffed.

They put another 200+ hours into it after I thought it was ready. He let me have free run of his shop and ask any questions of his guys each day, priceless.
I painted the bottem and inside the car before going to painted.

I did all the work including completely blasting the car, every inch of it.

They worked there butts off on it.

That's the owner of the shop buffing my panels the very next day after paint. One of his guys is cutting the panels and then he buffs them.

A couple weeks after getting the car back from the bodyshop I start to see color varations in the panels because they were painted off the car. I call him and tell him what is happening, I warned him that this is meltalic paint was senitive to that because it's very translucent. I knew this ahead of time and he said no worries.

I put the car back togeather totally in like 3 months, the whole project took me 10 months. I bust my butt on this stuff the guys working for you know that and you get a lot more respect and action.

So a year later I am bummed that the panels are getting worse. He comes to my shop again and looks and says I'll repaint it for you.

I'm like this sucks it's all togeather now and really nice except for the color varation.

The painter keeps calling me to ask that I bring the car back to him. 2.5 years later I take it back and in another 10 day stretch they take the car all apart and repaint the whole outside at no cost to me.

He does this 2 weeks before a big car show here in town and put's my car in the show after the repaint. Now that's guy who stands behuind his work, I'm here to tell you.

On the show floor with no stripe yet, you can still smell the fresh paint. He painted the body and I painted the wheels.

Done and it was a ton of work, but worth it. Next car coming up here soon I'm gonna paint the whole thing myself. I paid attention when I was at his shop each day, I can do it!!

Last edited by Challenger 1; 01/03/13 12:27 AM.