Quote:

The part that baffles me - Why would Chrysler send these cars out for such a simple procedure?

I have heard two versions of the 'story'.

1. They were shipped out to Creative for this, but that same source said that the AAR & T/A hoods were made at Creative, but they were marked 'Made in Canada'.

2. That a 'tool' for this modification was designed by Creative for use in the plant on the Cudas. This source said that it was used on all AARs, when it is clearly not the case looking at original sheet metal cars.

So, proof anyone? I would love to see it if it exists.

Manufactures do this all the time. Not just in the automotive industry either. These cars were units to them not future collectors items. To make a change like this is counterproductive from a manufacturing standpoint and was most likely overlooked by engineering initially. On a different note, I can tell you that when the 86 Ford Taurus came out that the window belt moldings didnt fit at all. Working at a local family owned small manufacturing shop we were given the contract to modify the mouldings. Pretty much overnight, as they were a new model and selling like hotcakes! I was still in H.S. and worked after school for about 1 1/2 months "modifing" the moldings until something new could be engineered and produced. It was done on an industrial belt sander by hand. I was able to leave my brains at home to do it. I must have done hundreds myself. Do I have proof and was it documented...no absolutely not. Was it done... sure as it paid for my first car. In a lot of cases large corporations such as the automotive industry can't allocate the man power or even cut through the necessary red tape to get something like this done. Were they capable? absolutely; but that doesnt always make it possible. I couldnt begin to tell you if this was done at creative or not, but I don't think its a reach to believe that it was subbed out. Especially for the small number of cars were talking about here in comparison to the numbers of ebodys they were producing as a whole.

Scott

70 Coronet RT 440+6
64 Dodge 330 - Future Hemi Clone
17 Challenger Hellcat - Green Go Driver
86 Buick T-Type Turbo V-6