Quote:

quote: "if you think you're gonna run your smallblock Mopar or Hemi like you run a SBC or BBC, you're crazy. You'll wind up with a bushel of broken parts."

You got it mixed up, if you try to run a sbc or bbc like a Mopar you will end up with a bushel of broken parts. The Mopar engines are engineered way more heavy duty than the Chevy junk. Put modern lighter, stronger parts in your Mopar engine they will outrun and out live any similar prepared chevy engine.

I have several junkyard block, junkyard headed SB Mopar engines with flat tappet cams, flat top pistons, on gas that will out run many alcohol burning, roller cammed, dome-top piston, aftermarket aluminum headed, aftermarket block sbc in similar weight cars

Car in picture has a junkyard block and heads SB Mopar with 1400+ runs and is still going strong. Short block has never been disassembled nor have the heads had a valve job. I changed the valve springs twice and the rod bearings twice after smashing the oil pan doing huge wheelies. The $10000 winnings from the 2008 wheelstand contest at Byron could damn near build 2 more engines just like it. Just won the $2500 FB race Sat. at the turkey trot race in Holly Springs MS

9.68 at 136mph--1.261 60ft.--3050#--factory 360 block and smog year heads from a maxi van church bus at speedway salvage

Congrats! My response to that is that you're obviously an engine BUILDER, not just an enthusist which justifys my original comment. Your car obviously runs well, you maintain it at a level that keeps it consistent, but I'd hardly call it the norm. Its consistency at winning proves that. I never said there was anything wrong with "junkyard parts" & if you can get 'em to run like that, great. My contention is that given a fixed amount (say 5k) an average individual would get more RELIABLE, more enduring HP & have an easier time acquiring knowledge & parts for a sbc than he would a Mopar---don't shoot the messenger, that's just how the World is.........
And while I will concede that guys are getting Hemis & 440s to spin way-up there, they also have to replace parts far sooner than the Chevy guys.