Quote:

Having run a blown small block street/strip since 1985 I'll put in my 2 cents. Mine is a 340 so not everything applies. Stock block was used over 20 years, no failure. Upgraded to a R-3 block a few years ago. The result is less blow by,the breathers never drip a drip now. Original stock crank, rods were from the Chrysler Trans Am program. Venolia forged piston( 5/64 moly rings). I have beat on this thing to 7000 rpm a long time. Carb's were very rich a one time,not now. Stock jetted Carter Comp 750's, A?F is still 11.8-1 at wot. Timing is the key. Destroyed 2 sets of pistons before I figured that out. Only30 degress total lead. Same pistons since 1991. I run 12 PSI. Car runs [Email]11.0@123[/Email] 3875lbs in street trim.
Doug

Classic example of what works and what doesn't. Just remember thought RB bottom ends ARE sturdy for most forms of competition, but emmense loads of torque/hp can play havoc with them. RB crank rod assemblies being both larger in stroke and rod length, exhibit more stress loading than it's B engine counterpart. B engine bottom ends are blessed (like the 340) with smaller circumferenced
cranks (less stress and rod loading). The 340 main webs are a bit thicker than the B/RB's main webs (even though the mains are nearly encased inside the B/RB motor). Bobweight and balancing, plays a big role too. The more mass to spin, the more power it soaks up. RB assemblies are heavy (in standard form) to begin with. Although VERY strong, they are high-torque, moderate hp/rpm pieces, with a some exceptions due to engine options.
Again it boils back to building a SOLID foundation
(a properly machined, clearanced and balanced block assembly), with a proper selection of power-producing parts/equipment, up top. By the way, Trans-Am engine pieces are kinda rare these days and were of the "improved" versions of the 340 hi-po production pieces. A much different forging than 340 Magnum pieces, they were made to take high stress loading at 8K, maybe higher in rpm. 3875lbs, not bad! Shed 300-500lbs and do some tuning, 10-teens are easy!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)