I have a tired 1972 318 LA in a 72 B-body (originally a 318/904) that I would like to swap out to a late 90s 360 magnum and keep the 904. I’ve searched the tech articles and forum, have found pieces of information regarding such a swap but not a complete run down so I would like to ask about the following and if I have it right.

I’m tried to do this as cost effectively, i.e. cheap, as I can but still being realistic.

Engine Mounts – Schumaker’s conversion mounts are the easiest way to handle this.

Oil Pan – crate version 360 magnum oil pan and one piece gasket.

Camshaft – keeping the stock camshaft but also the mechanical fuel pump so I need the Hughes Engines adaptor, http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/produ...mp;partid=22194
to use the eccentric.

Timing Chain Cover and Accessories – I’m keeping the timing chain cover and accessories from the 318. First to use the mechanical fuel pump and the 360 I’m looking at doesn’t have any accessories.

Intake – Re-drill the magnum heads for an LA 340 intake.

Carb – Small block early 70s Thermoquad.

Kickdown Linkage – Can use stock 4-barrel linkage with the stock intake, TQ and A904.

Exhaust Manifolds – 340 manifolds with Remflex gaskets to take care of the Magnum’s raised ports possibly causing a leak with the manifolds.

Flexplate – Get a 96-02 360 Magnum flexplate since it has the weights already. The 904 torque converter is already neutral balanced.

904 – Stock rebuild, nothing out of the ordinary.

Starter – Stock mini-starter.

Valve Covers – reuse the 318 valve covers to keep the 360 looking stock, period correct, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mike.