Quote:

My issue is I don't want to live the mercy of having my tune rely on some guy on the other end of an email. How is he supposed to be able to properly tune a unique combo without real time feedback? I'm just not a fan of this one size fits all type tuning. I've played with a program before for retuning stock type ecus. It's doable but very overcomplicated compared to an aftermarket system that's designed for this kind of thing. If the vehicle the OP is building the magnum for is not a 90's OBD-2 truck, I wouldn't bother with the stock electronics.

I agree with you if the vehicle isn't running an OBD-II system.

but regarding your concerns of "guy on the other end of email writting generic tunes" have you ever used SCT? or are you going by what you've read or heard?

if you have a chassis dyno close by, you can schedule yourself a day of dyno tuning. have them record your HP/TQ levels through the RPM range, read your AFRs via a wideband O2 sensor. if your tune writter is at the other end of email, then you email him that data, he looks at it, adjusts your tune, sends you a new program, and you load it to the computer. takes just as long as if you were tuning a carb motor on a dyno, and it's just as accurate.

If you don't have a Dyno, you can use a wideband O2 datalogger and record RPM, MPH, AFR, TPS, MAP, etc. go make a few WOT pulls just like a dyno would do. email the information to your writter, he again, tweaks your tune and sends you a new program.

It really takes no longer than when you try to tune a carb, and if anything, it's easier! no guessing as to whether it's rich or lean, if your pump shot is too long, too short, too much, too little, etc. It's all in the AFR table from the wideband O2 sensor.

I admit, when I first heard about SCT, I was nervous, confused, didn't understand it, and stayed away from it. but a buddy of mine told me how easy it was, and the programmer I use has the best customer service "in the industry" Now that I've used it, I'm familiar with it, and I know how it works, I know it's limitations, I can say without a doubt, SCT is the way to go until you're building an all out race engine, or you're using a serious power adder.

anyway...we're off topic now from what the OP asked

**Photobucket sucks**