Quote:

Easiest way to tell is to temporarily disconnect the linkage at the transmission lever and pull the lever full forward; it should shift way early with the linkage disconnected, if it still shifts late the problem is internal.

This is why I posted the question. I hadn't even thought about trying that.

UPDATE: I performed the test above above & sure enough, the transmission shifted way early like it was supposed to. I also may have found the real root of my problem (which leads to another question). When I was under the car disconnecting the linkage from the lever, I noticed the kd lever on the trans cant come all the way forward with the linkage connected. The pivot that mounts on the trans can not go any farther but the kd lever still needs to come forward another 45 degrees.

Question 1: Is the kickdown linkage (kd lever, rod, pivot) at the transmission different from a 904 to a 727. The car has a 727 but the linkage is exactly the same as whats on my 904 setup on my 70 Coronet.

Question 2: Approximately where is the kickdown lever at (based on clock position) when it is all the way forward (toward the front of the trans) ? Here is why I ask:

When the k/d lever is all the way forward (released) on my trans, it is approximately in the 10 o'clock position (assuming you are standing directly over the transmission, looking down). My buddy's trans fully released is in the 9 o'clock position. Makes me wonder if the lever ( or shaft it mounts on) has been messed up & is the root fo my whole problem.

Any info & opinions would be greatly appreciated !