Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm using an AC Delco CS 144 alternator on my 1970, because it puts out 115 amps at idle over 200 amps above a fast idle. Nothing mentioned here even comes close.

Yeah but most of us don't need 200 amps. What can you possibly install on the car that would require such a large draw?

It's probably the 115 amps at idle he's more interested in. Say you have a large electric fan (40 amps), headlights (20 amps), MSD ignition, electric fuel pump, HVAC blower on high... that's 80 amps right there!

I hate that annoying discharge/dimming at idle from a too-small alternator also. Got a clean "Duralast" rebuilt CS-130 for $20 at a swap meet and surprisingly it tested fine at the local Autozone (the core charge is actually more than $20)

Exactly!

It's the amps at idle I need. I'm running a pretty significant aftermarket electrical load including: dual high-performance Spal fans, a very large electric fuel pump, MSD, A/C, and I always run with my headlights and driving lights on.

I looked at a lot of the options mentioned here, but nothing even comes close to the CS144 at idle, and it pretty much bolts right in too.

Be prepared to read, understand and upgrade your electrical system to safely distribute and take advantage of all this extra amperage using the Mad Electric concepts and others.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)