Quote:

I'm looking for a drop in alternator with a high output at idle.
I understand the Powermaster alternators will do that but they don't drop in without changes to the brackets.
I don't have time to cobble something together before the power tour but I'd like to change the alternator.

The blower motors each pull 20 amps. If I have the A/C running and lights on at idle it will pull the stock alternator down pretty hard.

Does anybody have any experience with an alternator that fits these needs?

130 amp denso of an 02 RAM van bolts to a 440 with the smallest of mods. Trim 1/2" of one bolt spacer, get a used 70's GM alt pulley, go to hardware store and buy 2 nuts. It doesn't get much easier than that. of course you have to a little wiring but that's going to have to be done on ANY high output alternator you get.

It will sit close to the block, but it's workable. I've had mine on the charger for 10 years and it flat out kicks azz. With every single thing in the car turned on (electric fuel pump, electric fans, hi brights, heater on high) I still measured 14v at idle. There are other versions of this alternator. I remember seeing a lot of them in the 90 amp range and DIRT cheap.

Denso Alt Swap Linky