Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The other myth is that stick shifted cars are slower. Is that why pro stock uses them, to be inconsistant and slower?

Could it be their narrow powerbands would not be able to recover fast enough - spending too much time out of their powerband - with only 3 speeds?

It's also hard to put the 40 year old technology of even a modified 833 into a direct comparison to the seamless power application of a planetary shifted modern 5 speed. Apples to oranges.

I think you may be wrong about a "planetary shifted" modern 5-speed...
Huh did you get something twisted in the translation.If you mean "planetary transmission" like a Lenco they haven't used one of those for over ten years in Pro-Stock. They use a liberty 5-speed which is "non-planetary" with an inline shifter that could be described as an inline gate shifter that almost works like a ratchet shifter It is a fairly primitive design but it works better than anything else they have available to them at this time.
You also don't need to have a Pro-Stock type engine to keep it in the "happy range" My engine likes the gear spread in my 5-speed better than the ratios in an 833
A stick car just lets you be an individual instead of just another one of the sheep following the heard with a glide or a 727 "bomb"
Gus

I was just using "planetary shifted" as an example of old school - newer school - there are also roller clutch setups or sequential style boxes that again offer seamless power application impossible with an 833. I say 833 as an "old school" example - pretty much covers T-10s, M21s, M22s, etc.

Dollar for dollar - I'll stick with my lowly low gearset 904 and a decent converter - dead reliable, streetable and totally consistant for the 500HP I put through it. To go any faster with a manual trans would be several times the cost with more upkeep. Try to drive a plate shifted TKO on the street - not my idea of fun. And yes, I've used enough different styles of dog rings, plate shifted, modified syncros, ect. to be familiar with "conventional" boxes and their pro and cons, and just haven't seen the need or the pot of gold to step up to the new Liberty "Pro Stock" twin countershaft or other peoples bulletproof stuff. I have Paul at Liberty on my speed dial and send any work his way I can.

I don't deny the shock and awe factor of the Liberty, Jerico, Lenco, etc. stuff - I wish my health would allow me to play more with the 3 pedal cars - it just isn't really a fair comparison to the old school stuff.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........