My '73 440 had 93,000 miles on it when I got it, and was sludged up bad. I hand honed and reringed it, crank was in bad shape so had it reground, but reused the factory pistons since that was all I could afford. They were .143" in the hole.....

Cam was MP .484 hydraulic, I tried alot of different bolt-ons but the last way it ran was a Performer RPM/850 annular, hooker comps, 3" H pipe. It had 346 heads that I milled .060 which then caused problems with the intake fitting correctly (I didn't really know any better, learned all about that 1st hand), and also I home ported by eye and with no experience, so I probably messed them up. The valves were reground stock ones with 93,000 miles on them

In the signature car with 3.91 gears, and the last of 2 converters I tried which was a 9", it ran a best of et of 12.53. In hotter weather it would usually go like 12.65. In fact the signature pic was taken when the old 440 was still in the car...there's no roll bar, and I used to race it using slightly frayed 1969 lap belts, and no shoulder belt at all. Probably wasn't the smartest thing to do at the time....

mph was pretty much always between 106 and 108, didn't matter what else I changed. Intakes, carbs, jetting, shift points, timing, converters.....didn't matter...it was always 106 to 108mph. So I figured I was either a lousy tuner, a crappy driver, or both, or that smog 440s just aren't very picky and will make halfway decent power even if you screw up a bunch of things. Still haven't figured that one out but am leaning towards lousy tuner/crappy driver.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri