The alternative to the roller is a fast rate mechanical. Matched up with a good valvetrain it can make a reliable hi-po "fast street" setup. Comp extreme energy high lift, Hughes or a MM lobe cam from Muscle Motors would be a place to start. Matched up with good 3/8" pushrods, 10 degree locks/retainers and good rockers it makes a solid combo. I like the Comp pro-Magnum alloy steel rockers. Good up to about .6" lift, good geometry and no aluminum fatigue issues. At higer lifts and corresponding spring pressures, they need bushed or you need another lifter choice.

Depending on how far you go with lift you would likley need a double valve spring or one of beehive offerings (Comp). Head machining may be required for the doubles. This setup requires high zinc oil to be reliable. I would also use one of the EDM oil hole drilled lifters for added insurance.

On a BB where the roller conversion is tougher and bronze gear durability can be an issue, the mechanical flat tappet is an attractive alternative. You could do something similar with a fast rate hydraulic flat tappet. The fast rate hydraulics are touchy about setup and loose performance to a solid. I don't mind checking lash once in a while so the mechanical cam made a lot of sense to me.

That's what I did on my BB (MM lobe cam). I've got about 8,000 trouble free miles on it.