I've had the 72 Imperial torn apart for a little while.

The last time I spoke of the car, I'd put new tires on it. The 255/70-15 look much better under the car than the 235/75-15. It's got much less of that pig on stilts look. I also put a few turns on the torsion bars to get the nose off the ground.
This thing had a problem with intermittent oil pressure and the gas gauge didn't work. Andrewh and I tore the cluster out to fix the gauge and do a little clean up work.
My clock was dead so it went to Clockworks (www.clockwks.com) for a rebuild. $62 later it was looking (and working) good.
I tore down the cluster to attack it with a toothbrush and cleaner. While it was open, I painted the gauge needles with Testors Florescent Orange paint.
The speedo cable would make noise every now and then so I stripped the cable and lubed it with some white lithium grease.
This weekend started out with Andrewh coming over so I could press in some new lower control arm bushings. Once that was done, we attacked the Imp.
The oil pressure thing was really bothering me so I pulled the pump. Sure enough, it was toast. It took most of the day to track down another pump and stuff it in there. Once in, the oil pressure problem was cured.
While I was messing with that, Andy ran an 8 gauge bypass from the alternator to the starter relay and then on to the battery while leaving the factory wiring intact.
Once those things were done, I pulled the driver's door panel to fix the outside handle and Andy ran a relay to guarantee the ballast resistor and voltage regulator saw true charging system current. The factory harness had more than 1 volt drop to the regulator and that could cause the system to over charge.
Sunday I had to fight the lawn monster and a heavy lack of motivation. Making up my mind that I would at least install the rebuilt clock, I went outside. The clock is in, the cluster is installed properly, the radio is back in, and the speedo is connected. That last bit was by far the most difficult despite having the cluster loose enough to move around.

I ordered a reman brake booster, master cylinder, all three brake hoses, and a new lower radiator hose. With luck, it will all be here for next weekend. My reman idler arm should be here as well. Once I get that stuff installed, I should be good to go mechanically and electrically.

If lady luck is smiling on me, I might be able to do something about air conditioning in May. It sure would be nice to have the life support working during a 2600 mile road trip in June.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon