Vacuum draws fuel based on engine demand, DP dumps fuel based on throttle position. Both cover the "hole" when secondaries are opened. Vacuum is arguably better for partial secondary openings where you don't want to draw too much fuel. DP seems easier to tune for applications where secs are whacked open, as in drag racing.
On my footbrake 6000-stall drag car, it's staged about 1600-2000, then hammered; RPM comes up immediately & cleanly if I'm right for the conditions.
For my street cars, which I drive more conservatively, the vac secs on those allow better MPG; since they're not geared and/or don't have a lot of stall, the motor gets what it needs for a smooth transition. On street 4-speed cars, though, I've run DPs when the usage is more aggressive or they have 3.73s or better. Like a lot of things, it depends on the combination & application.
Theoretically, you should be able to tune either style carb for the same response, but some are easier than others and sometimes ya gotta work with what you already have.