Quote:

A simple test for your Superbird's air drawing efficiency,is with the engine running at idle, place a piece of what copy paper in the center of the grille, if it stays in place, your drawing enough air thru the grille, if the paper dose not remain in place and falls off, then start with the following:

The cooling needs of the wingcar are a little bit more involved, is the car fitted with a 26" radiator?, do you have a spring in the lower hose to keep it from collapsing at higher RPM's?, how many rows in the radiator?....are the upper and lower wingcar foam seals for the radiator in place?, what about the rubber air seals, all 10 of them, including the K frame seal, are they in place, and properly installed, as they create a funnel, or path way for the fan to draw air from the cone grille opening,...a shroud is a must, with at least 50% of the fan inside the opening,...if you have a flex fan, ditch it, clutch fans are useless as well, even the factory recalled early released 70 Bird models due to overheating, to be retrofitted with a solid blade fan, all further production models were solid blade fans,....a good antifreeze mix is ZEREX G-05,...50/50 mix with water, and 8-10oz of REDLINE WATER WETTER,....if your replaceing the radiator, I'd recommend a 5 row micro tube core,...

Mike

The only difference for me is I didn't put the 50/50 in. In my situation, I have filled the complete cooling system with distilled water and a bottle of Redline Water Wetter. My Daytona has been retrofitted with a solid fan (they all came with the clutch-type - Plymouth learned their lesson via the Daytona and early 'Birds to replace it with a solid fan like Mike stated). I have all my seals in (thanks Mike). I also have the radiator-2-core support foam seals too. My Daytona ran terribly hot when I first got her. Now, she is a LOT more driveable. Of course, the temps steadily increase with stop-n-go traffic, but I have since put a pusher fan on the car. I actually haven't had to use it yet for she cools so much better. Added insurance on these hot Houston days and it's totally hidden under the latch tray. Knowing your radiator is at top performance is a must. I'll probably change out the coolant with the Xerex G-50 and distilled water at 50/50...

Good luck...
Troy

6739801-100_9413.JPG (45 downloads)
Last edited by hemi68charger; 07/21/11 08:51 AM.

Troy
Houston Mopar Connection Club
'69 Charger Daytona 440 - auto - 4.10 Dana (now with 426 hemi)
'69 Charger 500 440 - 4speed - 3.54 Dana
'70 Road Runner 383 - 4speed - a/c (now with 440)