N
NITROUSN Online content
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Online Content
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Quote:

The pcv does not have a baffle below it.

I should. My guess is thats your problem.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: GreenBlurr] #64714
05/29/08 01:28 PM
05/29/08 01:28 PM
N
NITROUSN Online content
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Online Content
I Live Here
N

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I thought the brakes went to the manifold and the PCV to the carb...

That is not right.

What are you talking about. Thats fine. Brakes to manifold vacuum on manifold, and pcv to manifold vacuum on carb is fine.

Read. I agreed to what furyus said and said thats not right.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: NITROUSN] #64715
05/29/08 02:26 PM
05/29/08 02:26 PM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
Yeah, I wil swap valve covers snd see what it does. My current MP valve covers have the pcv on the rear left w/out a baffle and the K&N breather on the rear of the right valve cover. I should have them crisscrossed, but the covers werent set up for that, evidently.

I have some stockers painted orange to match the rest of the engine that are crisscrossed with a stock breather and pcv with baffle plate under it. I will give those a try.

Does this sound like a good idea?

-Justin

2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab: 5.7, 65RFE, 4.56 gears with locker, Hemifever tuned, AFE intake, 87mm throttle body, JBA headers, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, split to dual 2.5" exits. 13.57 best ET so far.

Searching for new A or B Body Project!
Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: MoparJ] #64716
06/09/08 11:52 AM
06/09/08 11:52 AM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
I have noticed a bit more smoke when the throttle is released after the motor was run hard for a moment, such as accelerating hard on the freeway. It is just the right side tail still. Nothing on startup or idling or normal driving, just when you let of the gas while driving and the amount depends on how hard it was driven.

I took the manifold off and valve covers and wiggled all of the valve springs around. No major movement there and no noises. I did notice that while I was inspecting the intake gasket that there was a very small break near cylinders 6 and 8 intake ports. It was hard, so I probably did not do that when I pulled the mani off. I wonder if this is just enough of a break to suck oil on deceleration and not cause any backfires or misfires. Again, the motor is running great. I noticed a quart low at 600 miles this time around. It was not like this when I out the motor in, so I am leaning towards intake gasket, rather than a ring or guide, because of the good compression and god running.

Whaddya think?

2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab: 5.7, 65RFE, 4.56 gears with locker, Hemifever tuned, AFE intake, 87mm throttle body, JBA headers, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, split to dual 2.5" exits. 13.57 best ET so far.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: MoparJ] #64717
06/09/08 12:15 PM
06/09/08 12:15 PM
Indiana
W5Duster436 Offline
master
W5Duster436  Offline
master

Indiana
Quote:

Cmon gentleman....

I need some opinions, 318 or not...lol...

I had this exact issue. With only 750 miles on the engine it consumed about 6 quarts of oil. It was leaking from underneath the intake and was not hardly noticeable out the exhaust although it was rich as could be.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: W5Duster436] #64718
06/09/08 12:50 PM
06/09/08 12:50 PM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
Yeah, I put a slightly leaner Edelbrock 600 carb back on and I think I am going to replace the intake gaskets tonight and put it back together. That crack in the gasket mayb e just enough to suck oil to the extent of the consumption I have, especially when the vacuum pulls it into the exhaust when I back off of the throttle.

I may rid of the cam lube and replace with Valvoline VR1 20w50, just to see what will happen. It wouldnt hurt anything and a little heavier weight is not going to sap that much power. Addtionally, it has plenty of zinc in it.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: MoparJ] #64719
06/16/08 10:35 AM
06/16/08 10:35 AM
Sobieski Wi
B
bee1971 Offline
master
bee1971  Offline
master
B

Sobieski Wi
Same issues with my 71 Superbee

End of last summer i switched to a Synthetic oil and a Holley Street Dominator intake on my numbers matching 383 - Started going through oil like crazy - This spring i switched back to a convential oil like i have been using for the last ten years since the engine was gone through -Car never has burned a drop of oil since rebuild before

Anyways i discovered something when pulling the plugs and doing a compression test - All cylinders on the passenger side spark plugs had carbon buildup - Drivers side plugs were perfect and clean - Well light tan in color and looked great
All eight cylinders had compression of 135 - 150 #s

Anyways i have never used a paper gasket on the valley tin pans that i have installed for the last twenty years on big block mopars

The car idles and runs perfect - 750 rpms at idle with a Edelbrock 800 cfm carb and that used Holley Street Dominator intake - Engine .030 over / Mopar 284/484 cam and 906 heads gone through ten years ago

Was cruising to a car show this past weekend and the only time oil was noticed out the exhaust from my buds behind me was when letting off the throttle - PASSENGER SIDE EXHAUST PIPE ONLY

Time to pull the intake ??? Or head ??? Or both

Try some paper gaskets on the tin valley pan ???
Could it pull oil from the bottom of the tin pan to one head only ??? The intake bolted up fine with no vacuum leaks - Idles and runs perfect

Anyways i am scratching my head , no pun intended

Figured i would bring up this old thread that i found instead of starting a new one

Scott

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee
2011 Ram Sport 1500 Quad Cab Deep Water Blue Loaded
Siberian Huskies
Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: bee1971] #64720
06/17/08 07:27 PM
06/17/08 07:27 PM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
Hmmm, very similar to my issue. I have switched back to the Edelbrock 600 and put on some steel gaskets and put it back together. I dropped the cam lube and am running Valvoline VR1 20w50, as it gets hot in my parts anyways to justify 20w50.

100 miles so far on repair effort. Oil is still full and the car is running strong. I dod notice a small crack on the bottom of the intake gasket on the passenger side when I was changing out the paper ones. There was a very small brown area in the corresponding port of the intake. I am will to bet this could be the issue. I will report back.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: bee1971] #64721
06/17/08 07:33 PM
06/17/08 07:33 PM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
Quote:

End of last summer i switched to a Synthetic oil and a Holley Street Dominator intake on my numbers matching 383 - Started going through oil like crazy - This spring i switched back to a convential oil like i have been using for the last ten years since the engine was gone through -Car never has burned a drop of oil since rebuild before

Anyways i discovered something when pulling the plugs and doing a compression test - All cylinders on the passenger side spark plugs had carbon buildup - Drivers side plugs were perfect and clean - Well light tan in color and looked great

Anyways i have never used a paper gasket on the valley tin pans that i have installed for the last twenty years on big block mopars

The car idles and runs perfect - 750 rpms at idle with a Edelbrock 800 cfm carb and that used Holley Street Dominator intake - Engine .030 over / Mopar 284/484 cam and 906 heads gone through ten years ago

Was cruising to a car show this past weekend and the only time oil was noticed out the exhaust from my buds behind me was when letting off the throttle - PASSENGER SIDE EXHAUST PIPE ONLY

Could it pull oil from the bottom of the tin pan to one head only ??? The intake bolted up fine with no vacuum leaks - Idles and runs perfect

Figured i would bring up this old thread that i found instead of starting a new one

Scott

In this case, the synthetic may have been leaking past the rings, since it is slick.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: MoparJ] #64722
06/17/08 07:45 PM
06/17/08 07:45 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Valve covers need a baffle under the breather and the pvc if you have not taken care of that yet.

Have you verified that the engine isn't leaking oil out anywhere like the oil pan rail, oil filter area etc. No puddles underneath when you park it?

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: Neil] #64723
06/18/08 11:59 AM
06/18/08 11:59 AM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
Quote:

Valve covers need a baffle under the breather and the pvc if you have not taken care of that yet.

Have you verified that the engine isn't leaking oil out anywhere like the oil pan rail, oil filter area etc. No puddles underneath when you park it?

From my car, no, no puddles. Took it out yesterday evening and put another 40 miles on it since the intake and oil change. I took it out on the back roads and beat on it some for once. Boy, for a 318, it is running good and had no problem breaking the tires free, even with 3.21s and the near stock stall converter. It pulled right up to 5,500 rpm several times.Of course, I cant tell if it is smoking when I let off out of the right tail pipe, but if it is not cured yet, it has to be something minor in the cylinder head.

I do have baffles the valve covers and the pcv and breather are across from each other. I still smell some oil from time to time, so a valve cover gasket may be leaking a bit, especially when I jump on the gas. It is not enough to leak on the ground anywhere, though. there is never a spot on the ground of a fluid of any kind.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: MoparJ] #64724
06/18/08 01:18 PM
06/18/08 01:18 PM
P
Paul_Fancsali Offline
master
Paul_Fancsali  Offline
master
P

PCV baffle needed. More then likely you have a bad intake gasket. Put back on dbl pumper and jet 66 frt 72-74 rear and make sure power valve is good. The performer intake will squirm when installed more then likely caused a gasket leak

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: Paul_Fancsali] #64725
06/18/08 01:26 PM
06/18/08 01:26 PM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
Quote:

PCV baffle needed. More then likely you have a bad intake gasket. Put back on dbl pumper and jet 66 frt 72-74 rear and make sure power valve is good. The performer intake will squirm when installed more then likely caused a gasket leak

Just changed the gaskets last week to steel felpro replacements. I thought I spotted a small break about a half inch long near the bottom of the right side intake gasket.

I am driving it quite a bit the past few days to track the oil consumption. As stated, the baffles are on the valve covers.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: MoparJ] #64726
06/18/08 06:37 PM
06/18/08 06:37 PM
Taneytown, MD
B
bigslant6fan Offline
enthusiast
bigslant6fan  Offline
enthusiast
B

Taneytown, MD
If you found a crack in the intake gasket,thats one problem solved,also what kind of valve seals are you running?Perfect circle teflon seals are known to use oil in a street motor.Also,at higher RPMs oil can be thrown off the rocker arms,and sucked in the PCV.Tall valve covers with bafles will help.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: bigslant6fan] #64727
06/18/08 07:02 PM
06/18/08 07:02 PM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
Quote:

If you found a crack in the intake gasket,thats one problem solved,also what kind of valve seals are you running?Perfect circle teflon seals are known to use oil in a street motor.Also,at higher RPMs oil can be thrown off the rocker arms,and sucked in the PCV.Tall valve covers with bafles will help.

That is a good question. I had the heads worked on a regular, non race oriented shop. My fault and will resume doing it myself or going to a better shop on the next shot. The only smoke is when I let of the throttle while driving, especially while on the freeway. The harder and quicker I let off the throttle, usually the more smoke from the right side tailpipe. there is nothing during start up.

I am not sure if it is doing this anymore, as no one has followed behind me since the intake gasket swap. 200 miles since and oil level is still just above the full mark.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: MoparJ] #64728
06/23/08 12:37 PM
06/23/08 12:37 PM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
I put 500 miles on the car this week. It was hot the entire weekend, well over 100. This is the first 500 miles since the intake gasket swap.
When I got home last night, I was pleased to notice that the oil level is still above the full line. My father was following behind me during a cruise yesterday and did not notice any smoke at all, if any, it was not blue. I am now running Valvoline 20w50 VR1 oil with no other additives instead of the Castrol 10w40 I was running with COmp break in lube.

So far, things are looking better.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: bee1971] #64729
06/28/08 08:07 PM
06/28/08 08:07 PM
Sobieski Wi
B
bee1971 Offline
master
bee1971  Offline
master
B

Sobieski Wi
Quote:

Scott

Found the intake bolts to bee on the loose side last week

After a good retorque , took it for a nice long haul - No good , still used a little oil

This past Friday pulled the carb off - Oil in the bottom of the intake - Pulled the intake off and was plain as day
Could see oil around the intake ports - I had ordered the Fel Pro Intake Gaskets just incase , for the valley pan so i was good to go - Cleaned everything up and installed the fiber gaskets (Four) to the valley pan using Permatex copper sealant/spray

Retorqued the Street Dominator Intake to 25 ft# and everything looked good - Went to a car show today in Two Rivers WI , about 150 miles roundtrip

Came home and pulled the dipstick after the engine was cold - Not a drop of oil - PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT

Something so simple but yet so stupid for me not thinking about it earlier - I was thinking synthetic oil or a head - Rings

First time i have had an issue with just using the tin valley pan on a Big Block Mopar - Valuable lesson learned i guess - Some intakes require those fiber gaskets

Scott

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee
2011 Ram Sport 1500 Quad Cab Deep Water Blue Loaded
Siberian Huskies
Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: mopars4ever] #64730
06/28/08 08:31 PM
06/28/08 08:31 PM
Indiana
W5Duster436 Offline
master
W5Duster436  Offline
master

Indiana
Quote:

Quote:

I would consider pulling intake to be sure it's sealed, or maybe for now, crank the bolts down to be sure they're snug

I had the same problem many years ago and my intake wasn`t sealing and it was sucking oil in from the valley. Have the heads been cut any? Mike

I too had this same problem. Went through 5 quarts in about 500 miles but never even realized it as I couldn't detect smoke.

Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: MoparJ] #64731
06/28/08 11:28 PM
06/28/08 11:28 PM
Wichita Kansas
CH3NO2 Offline
super stock
CH3NO2  Offline
super stock

Wichita Kansas
What gear in the rearend?

Engine by DeTar http://www.kansasbadman.com
Re: Oil Drinking?? [Re: MoparJ] #64732
06/29/08 06:32 PM
06/29/08 06:32 PM
Indiana
W5Duster436 Offline
master
W5Duster436  Offline
master

Indiana
Quote:

Yeah, I put a slightly leaner Edelbrock 600 carb back on and I think I am going to replace the intake gaskets tonight and put it back together. That crack in the gasket mayb e just enough to suck oil to the extent of the consumption I have, especially when the vacuum pulls it into the exhaust when I back off of the throttle.

I may rid of the cam lube and replace with Valvoline VR1 20w50, just to see what will happen. It wouldnt hurt anything and a little heavier weight is not going to sap that much power. Addtionally, it has plenty of zinc in it.

The thicker viscosity oil will definitely slow down the usage.

I am too having the same issue again now on my duster which I just fired up the other day. After about 1.5 hours of running it was down 1 quart and today I noticed some smoke so I think this intake is gonna need some TLC too. It is also leaking at the rear because I could only fit RTV there and no cork gasket. Guess I didn't get enough RTV. I am about to give it up as I can't seem to win with these cars.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3