Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 38 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 37 38
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #506097
11/09/09 03:06 AM
11/09/09 03:06 AM
Southern California
Robert1050 Offline
stuck in da 70s
Robert1050  Offline
stuck in da 70s

Southern California
Quote:

I remember when I discovered newsgroups when joining the Net, there was a good "room" with some old street racers. One of them was a guy named "Preacher" from the LA area. I think car guys who lived in LA in the 1970s were in heaven, so I'd love to hear some of the stories if anyone here fits that description.

"Preacher", I haven't heard that name in about 30 years......I used to street race in the LA area from the mid-70's until the early-80's. We used to hang out at Bob's Big Boy in Westchester and raced on Pershing Dr (at the west end of LAX's runways). Some nights there would be hundreds of people lining both sides of the Drive and big money would go down.

Some people had 'interesting' names, there was "Preacher", dirty ED, Camelot, Tarkus.....Big Willy even came down once or twice and he'd bring a pretty good sized crowd of friends with him.

I don't remember any cars being trailered to the races and a lot of tires would get switched in the parking lot (street tires for slicks). Headers would be uncorked. Fun times. Most cars were sleepers, most of the guys wouldn't pop their hoods, but you could tell by the sound of the motor what end of the C.I. spectrum the motor was.

Last edited by Robert1050; 11/09/09 03:10 AM.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Robert1050] #506098
11/09/09 12:13 PM
11/09/09 12:13 PM
USA
B
b54406barrel Offline
master
b54406barrel  Offline
master
B

USA
This was my first '69 Camaro (I painted 2 the same color scheme ). Mid- 70's it was my first time with Drag 500's & we used bleach w/the water. They still didn't bite real good on 'Feedville Road International' but they looked cool & intimidating. Street asphalt kind of tore them up.

Best race story I have was about two of my friends who decided to race on our little town's airport road. Mike had a Nova & Bob a 72 Road Runner. I don't remember who won as I wasn't there but, they got nailed by a city cop for 'conducting a speed contest' . When they went to court, the judge threw it out. At that time the center of airport road was the city limit line and the judge told the cop, 'you can't write a ticket outside the city limits & you can't prosecute one guy for 'conducting a speed contest' with himself'. He then said, 'if you'd written him up on reckless driving, I could'. I was in front of Judge Marvin many times myself & he never cut me that kind of slack! Just like Ripley's, 'Believe it, or not.'

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: b54406barrel] #506099
11/09/09 01:25 PM
11/09/09 01:25 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I always had a hard time writing guys for streetracing---kinda hard to do when you've done it yourself. . The few I did write I always got a conviction and they got the maximum penalty (8pts/ $1000 fine) as it was an aggravated situation and the Prosecutor was smart enough to bring up my racing experience to substantiate I knew just WHAT a race was.
One time 2 guys had the same Court date & one goes in to testify on behalf of the other. The first claimed his car couldn't even do the 100mph+ the report said. When presented with photos of the car the Judge didn't buy it & convicted him. The second guy goes to Court & pleads with the Prosecutor to let him go with the same penalty as the first guy,as he was looking at a license revocation. The Prosecutor asked me what I thought. Since he was doing the same thing, I thought it was only fair he got the same punishment. The Prosecutor & Judge bought into it, & like the first guy, it cost him 1k & 8pts--somehow the Judge ignored the potential revocation. The funny thing was both guys could've avoided the whole problem except when I had stopped the first guy & said "Nice street race!", figuring I'd give him a warning, he said " F#$k You! Prove it!"...I did....

Last edited by hemicop; 11/09/09 01:38 PM.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506100
11/09/09 02:42 PM
11/09/09 02:42 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

HemiC.

You might get a kick out of this one that I some how forgot. One of those rare but magical days back in the 80's at The Fount.
Two Blue and whites roll up from behind the Starting line and most people scattered like ants. There was only still a few hundred people still left with keys in hand and pants down when these two patrol cars just stopped there and smirked at each other with that look of (Wanna race?) to much delight of the crowd, me included.

I staged them for their burn outs and walked them into the gate, lined them up, gave 'em the three count and off they were with their bubbles flashing into the beautiful sunset that was so soothing against the chaos back then. I don't know who won because they were both the same colors with the lights. LOL. True story.

I think I have more stories of cops at the races, then the races themselves.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506101
11/09/09 04:32 PM
11/09/09 04:32 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Here at least there's alot of cop "gearheads" so it's not unusual for them to be a little more tolerant of things around here. I don't know of a single cop gearhead that hasn't been involved in at least one streetrace & if he tells you he never has, he's lying! The odd/sad thing is that for us old guys who remember the old big-block Mopar cop cars the new stuff is pretty sad, although the Charger is okay, it does lack some things from a cop-car perspective.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506102
11/09/09 05:42 PM
11/09/09 05:42 PM
New York
J
jagrunt551 Offline
enthusiast
jagrunt551  Offline
enthusiast
J

New York
Not really a race story, but a real tale of the old days. Early spring in the 70's Had a '68 GTO that had some work done to it. Went to a local bar one evening and saw a girl I really liked with another guy. I had only been out of the Army a short time and wondered if she and he were seeing each other while I was in Vietnam. Lost my cool (like I ever had any)and just starting driving the GTO home. The State Police had a favorite place to hang out and if you weren't from the area you never knew they were there. Well I blew through the red light and the chase was on. I could see the red lights way back, but I stopped ,pulled over , and waited for them. This big red headed Trooper reaches in and pulles me out the drivers window, through the cuffs on, and hauled me to the local jail cell. Only one ticket about three foot long. Bailed out -had to walk back to the car and then court. Had an old judge who questioned me and found out I was a combat vet. Gave me 6 months to be real good and it went away, if i came back I'd be paying for it. I found the trooper and said I was sorry for the situation I'd put him in. The best I'm Sorry I ever said. I guess the story here is that back in the day the Police could still use their own wisdom where as today most are dictated as to how to handle everthing. Sorry about running off OK I'll go turn in my license and move to Florida.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: jagrunt551] #506103
11/09/09 07:37 PM
11/09/09 07:37 PM
Halifax, N.S. Canada
Edison62 Offline
master
Edison62  Offline
master

Halifax, N.S. Canada
Ok.. first off... disclaimer.. It's not a Mopar!

Now, in 1980 my parents bought me a 1975 Monte Carlo, 350 auto. Nice ride.. me and a buddy Ray did some work on the engine, had a shift kit put in the turbo 350/Posi and had some fun. One night a local guy with a "NEW" 1982?? Mustang (Black on Black w/green stripes)Turbo 5 speed was laughing at some of us with bigger/older cars as he called them... needless to say one thing led to another and the challenge went out... I'd run my big/old Monte up againest his Mustang (temp tag still in the rear window and all!). He also stated... If I beat him he'd burn the car!!!!!!

Well, we lined up... for a 2 out of three on the Old Sydney Road.... I got him off the line and the first one was mine. Second one was a bit closer but I pulled away when he was around third gear..... no need for a rubber match!

We got together later that night (about 2AM) and sat out on his front step watching a flicker of light away in the distance (a huge open field)... the Mustang was no more.... it was turned into a big BBQ..LOL!!!! A few weeks later he was driving another Mustang.. again NEW.. white car w/a 302 Auto!!!

Bryan

P.S... here's a picture of me and my Monte Carlo back in the early 80's... I still have the car!

5595690-MonteCarlo-2.jpg (346 downloads)

Don't be stupid.... it's not smart!

1970 Super Bee. Big blk 4 speed car.
1973 Dodge Dart Sport 340 4 speed car.
1985 Dodge Ram D-100 /6 auto. Original paint
1990 Dodge Ram D-150 V-6 5 Speed. Original paint
1995 Chrysler LHS V-6 auto. Original paint
2014 Ram 1500 R/T 5.7 Hemi...!
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: imfixinmopars426] #506104
11/12/09 02:34 PM
11/12/09 02:34 PM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
Quote:

1982,i was cruising in the 69 gts to the left,383,big cam 850,headers,and 4.56's...i keep seeing a black 340 dart pacing me from behind,through town. i thought to myself,i have him covered big time,so why not? finally we line up on the last light leaving town...now mind you,my dad has the biggest insurance agency in town,and is the bailbondsman,and he told me"dont EVER call me to get bailed out"...so usually i was careful,but...well you know,no punk in a 340,can get away with,that look,that smirk.so we rev'd,and i like to leave strong,so we do,and through my first,we are side by side,i powershift into 2nd at 6500,and pull on him HARD.as my eyes drift away from the tach,i look to the left,then hard to the left!....i failed to see the white,and black chevy suburban sitting at he light we just passed....opps,local sheriff dept! i let the dart pass me,and slide behind him,and like right now,the cops are pushing me to the curb,HARD! they cut me off,and blocked me,like they just busted the mob or something,and the passenger gets out,screaming at me,long story,short,RECKLESS DRIVING! so i tell dad,and all he says is fight it,it wont cost any more,so i did,and see the dart kid there to testify against me.after a hour,the clerk comes to tell me,the cop didnt show,and charges are dropped,and all dad did is smile...thanks dad! miss him bad,lost him in 1988
somehow i cant get the attach pic to come up,after i resize

Mike none of us want to see the picture of you in short
shorts blown up any larger. Good story though..

logan426

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506105
11/12/09 02:37 PM
11/12/09 02:37 PM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
Quote:

I always had a hard time writing guys for streetracing---kinda hard to do when you've done it yourself. . The few I did write I always got a conviction and they got the maximum penalty (8pts/ $1000 fine) as it was an aggravated situation and the Prosecutor was smart enough to bring up my racing experience to substantiate I knew just WHAT a race was.
One time 2 guys had the same Court date & one goes in to testify on behalf of the other. The first claimed his car couldn't even do the 100mph+ the report said. When presented with photos of the car the Judge didn't buy it & convicted him. The second guy goes to Court & pleads with the Prosecutor to let him go with the same penalty as the first guy,as he was looking at a license revocation. The Prosecutor asked me what I thought. Since he was doing the same thing, I thought it was only fair he got the same punishment. The Prosecutor & Judge bought into it, & like the first guy, it cost him 1k & 8pts--somehow the Judge ignored the potential revocation. The funny thing was both guys could've avoided the whole problem except when I had stopped the first guy & said "Nice street race!", figuring I'd give him a warning, he said " F#$k You! Prove it!"...I did....

The last sentence was great, funny

logan426

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: imfixinmopars426] #506106
11/12/09 02:40 PM
11/12/09 02:40 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Quote:

1982,i was cruising in the 69 gts to the left,383,big cam 850,headers,and 4.56's...i keep seeing a black 340 dart pacing me from behind,through town. i thought to myself,i have him covered big time,so why not? finally we line up on the last light leaving town...now mind you,my dad has the biggest insurance agency in town,and is the bailbondsman,and he told me"dont EVER call me to get bailed out"...so usually i was careful,but...well you know,no punk in a 340,can get away with,that look,that smirk.so we rev'd,and i like to leave strong,so we do,and through my first,we are side by side,i powershift into 2nd at 6500,and pull on him HARD.as my eyes drift away from the tach,i look to the left,then hard to the left!....i failed to see the white,and black chevy suburban sitting at he light we just passed....opps,local sheriff dept! i let the dart pass me,and slide behind him,and like right now,the cops are pushing me to the curb,HARD! they cut me off,and blocked me,like they just busted the mob or something,and the passenger gets out,screaming at me,long story,short,RECKLESS DRIVING! so i tell dad,and all he says is fight it,it wont cost any more,so i did,and see the dart kid there to testify against me.after a hour,the clerk comes to tell me,the cop didnt show,and charges are dropped,and all dad did is smile...thanks dad! miss him bad,lost him in 1988
somehow i cant get the attach pic to come up,after i resize

It won't show up with the text because it is a bmp type of picture. You might want to change it to a jpg. jpg pictures also take up LOTS LESS space on your computer.

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: amxautox] #506107
11/12/09 04:46 PM
11/12/09 04:46 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I really enjoy stories from the old days---anyone have a story of meeting the cop they outran later on & his "take" on it all?
One time I spent about about 15 mins. running through a neighborhood chasing some guy in a Camaro.The guy was always a block or two ahead of me & kept dodging me,actually doing a pretty good job. He eventually got onto a main street but was so far ahead of me it just wasn't worth it. About 3 years later I'm in my friends chassis shop & this guy starts talking about how he had to dodge the cops one night & was getting scared as he had been running out of streets to go down. Aside from the streetrace, he had been high & really didn't want to get caught, figuring the car would be impounded & he'd wind up in jail on a DUI charge along with the other traffic violations. I asked him what he'd been driving & where it all occurred. He told me & knowing the car, I told him it was me chasing him. He seemed sqeamish and all & I just laughed, complimenting him on his driving ability & how he simply got lucky that night.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506108
11/12/09 05:12 PM
11/12/09 05:12 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
In 66 I bought a Belvedere II with a streeet hemi, and I lived in So Cal. Down beside Orange County Raceway there were several 2-lane country roads lined with big orange groves. These roads were great for street racing and doing test & tunes...

I went down to Sand Canyon road on a thursday nite to dial my carburators in..
I opened my headers and was doing some kleen-out runs up/down Sand Canyon. Note at that time in Orange County it was all wide open country and no traffic, just occasional traffic to one of the ranches.

I had just done a run and was cruisin back to recork the exhaust, and sitting in a driveway was a highway patrol car saw the big star reflecting on the door. As I went by he pulled out and hit me with his red lites.. He asked what I was doing and I told I was just working on the carburators. He smiled and said he knew I wasn't racing because there were no other cars around.

No ticket, and he said he was just getting off for dinner so we went to a pizza joint in Tustin. Turned out he was also a drag racer, and loved to talk performance cars especially Mopars..

Those were the good ole days..

Just my $0.01...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506109
11/12/09 08:31 PM
11/12/09 08:31 PM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
Quote:

I really enjoy stories from the old days---anyone have a story of meeting the cop they outran later on & his "take" on it all?

Here's a story which sorta fits your question. My best friend's dad seemed to know just about every cop that drove an unmarked car and had one particular cop friend that was always fixing my friends tickets, and he got a lot of them. One night we were driving down Arlington Ave. ( over the speed limit of course) when all of a sudden we saw the red flashing lights coming up on us very quickly. My buddy took a very fast right hand turn at the next street and looking back at the intersection was this cop with the brakes locked up sliding sidewards trying to make the turn right behind us. My buddy yells out "that's Plasca." I asked "whose Plasca" and my buddy replies "the cop that always fixes my tickets. Now the chase was on and we were absoultely stupid as we began pulling away from him. We were driving down very narrow streets, with cars parked on one side, no lights on and pedal to the metal. We crossed a very busy intersecting street but we never saw it, we could have been killed or killed someone else. The chase lasted for probably 10 minutes and we finally lost him. I'm sure Plasca knew who he was chasing but never said anything to my buddy's dad.

I never tried to outrun the police as I knew from my first traffic ticket incident that my mom would be driving my car again and I'd be back on a bicycle, way too embarrasing.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506110
11/21/09 07:10 PM
11/21/09 07:10 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Street racing was and still alive in NYC,as well
as Detroit and other states across the States'.
The only difference between racers today and the
"pro's" back then, when I was younger is that
most guys knew the cars capabilities on and off
the track. And cars then, were 90% pure muscle,
with nary a power adder other than supercharger.
AS time went on it was the drivers who were
dependent on "their own power adders", and that's
when things got out of hand and dangerous. The
"pro's" were there to do business, while the
foolhardy were there for the idea of running
each other with no safety or respect of the
sport (automotive craftsmanship). By the way,
does anyone know what the outcome of a race in
NYC, on the Nassau Expressway in Queens. Back in
71', I think. A Rat-Motored 68 Camaro squared off
there with a 69 Road Runner w/HEMI. BIG MONEY was passed around that night. I believe the guy driving the Bird', is still a legendary driver with the last name of Cook. If anyone knows the
true scenario, set the record straight please.

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 11/21/09 07:45 PM.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506111
11/21/09 11:26 PM
11/21/09 11:26 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Your memory obviously was not "emptied". The car
in question, was not too hard to notice, when you
saw it run. It was "at times" campaigned on the
street as well as the track. You would have to be
away from the crowd to see it in action.

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506112
11/22/09 04:47 AM
11/22/09 04:47 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOoC  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Let me add this .....

LOTS of cars came into the Detroit area ... from Chicago, Cleveland, NY and even Dallas. LOTS of these cars were nothing more than "plated" race cars and they were MANY TIMES way faster than the cars then the cars that they planned on racing.

But THEN there was the "cruise" ... out to Woodward, then maybe out to Telegraph in stop-and-go traffic ... then out on 96/696 for a bit.

I even saw one "parade" almost to Lansing .....60 or so miles !

This "test" of whether the challenger's car was a TRUE street-car was almost as interesting as the race itself !

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: dOoC] #506113
11/22/09 01:49 PM
11/22/09 01:49 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
You got that right about the "plated" race cars
back then. Which in all, was a lot safer than the
hyped-up street rides with NO safety gear in
them. As I said before, the "pro's" know their cars, on and off the track. They set up quickly,
got the run on quickly, and got off the street
quickly while being SAFE AT ALL TIMES. They never
tried to draw large crowds which would hinder the
SAFETY FACTOR. That's what drew the police to
the area.

"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506114
11/22/09 04:57 PM
11/22/09 04:57 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Are you confusing that with the infamous 68' Rat powered Camaro and the Mutt Bros Hemi Dart? It was a HHHHUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGE amount on the line.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506115
11/22/09 06:24 PM
11/22/09 06:24 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
There were some good stories about that race and someone on the Web has a neat story of how a parts counterman related the story to him. Rumor back then was it was for 250k. A recent interview of Ronnie Lyle's widow confirmed the amount which even today seems absurd! I only saw the "Mutt Bros" Dart twice, but it made me a big believer of Mopar power that I worked & waited 35 years to be able to play with a similiar car!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506116
11/22/09 09:04 PM
11/22/09 09:04 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
That was a heck of a race with a lot of loot.
Both cars were running, you figure 11 sec. flat or
better. Great run!. Actually, in my previous post
I mentioned about the 69' Runner and the 68' Camaro at Nassau Exp. in Queens. I misinformed the posting and will correctly recall the event
at RT 440 (West Shore Expwy)in S.I., and it was
a 68' Rat-Motored Nova squaring off against the
68' GTX, driven by Cook. Since these guys are
"veteran drivers", the race was pretty big. The other race was HUGE, but this one was for the
"bragging rights" also. Who won and by how much
cause I missed this one. The Dart and the Camaro
was at Nassau Exp.

Page 8 of 38 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 37 38