HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Here is the deal....

1971 Cuda.

The cables were purchased from Inline Tube. There is NO way these will work. The front cable is too short. I checked two known original cars and both measure around 16" from where the cable comes through the frame on the drivers side to where it meets the intermediate cable with the Ebrake pedal in the released position(at rest). The cable that was provided by Inline Tube only measures around 12.5" when measured as above.

I took the cable back out and called IT. I measured the cable on the bench and they say that the cable is right and I must be doing something wrong. They claim to sell tons of these and never had a complaint. I don't buy it. Two original cars cannot be wrong. The intermediate cable seems to be the exact length of the originals and the short ends coming through the brackets at the back appear to be the right length as well.

Have any of you guys experienced this??

Thanks

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475887
09/21/09 08:39 PM
09/21/09 08:39 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Every kit I've bought for 71 Ebodys has not worked. I never thought of mearsuring the front cable, I always thought it was the intermediate cable causing the problems...

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475888
09/21/09 08:47 PM
09/21/09 08:47 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Are you sure that you are using the correct routing?

Maybe someone with an original cable will take the time to get you the measurements?

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475889
09/21/09 09:36 PM
09/21/09 09:36 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Alan:

Trust me, the issue isn't the intermediate cable, it's the front cable. You could "cheat" it with a longer intermediate cable, but it still will not be right. I have a stash of over 100 NOS brake cables and I am sure I have a front for an ebody in there. Doesn't matter, the cable isn't the same as the original, and I have already verified that.

Snoopy.

Even though I am 110% sure I have it correct, technically, you could route the sheathing any way you want to. If the ends are properly placed where they should be(in the e brake mechanism and in the dedicated hole in the frame for the front cable) then all that's left is the inner cable itself. If it's too short then you are SOL.

I have two known original 71 Ebodies at my disposal, so it's not hard to figure out what it should be. Just wondering how many others have run into problems.

We will sort this out and I will post findings and hopefully keep someone else from having to deal with this.

Anyone with any other experiences care to offer any input, I am all ears(eyes?).
MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475890
09/22/09 03:19 AM
09/22/09 03:19 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Had the same problem with the Inline cables, ran down the street to Fine Lines to see Bob and grab a set of the ones he has (not from Inline). Hour later I went back for the second set I needed for my other 71, I had no problems with the install.

In total, I put 4 sets on my Cudas, 2 70 and 2 71.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HEMICUDA] #475891
09/22/09 07:01 AM
09/22/09 07:01 AM
Tenn.
jrwoodjoe Offline
master
jrwoodjoe  Offline
master

Tenn.
Quote:

We will sort this out adn I will post findings and hopefully keep someone else from having to deal with this.

Quote:

Had the same problem with the Inline cables, ran down the street to Fine Lines to see Bob and grab a set of the ones he has (not from Inline). Hour later I went back for the second set I needed for my other 71, I had no problems with the install.

In total, I put 4 sets on my Cudas, 2 70 and 2 71.

Thanks to both of you guys for your posts. I thought I had read about issues in the past but could not recall. Now that my car is getting closer to being done, I'm starting to pick up some of these types of items. With your help, hopefully I and others will get the right stuff the first time around.

Joe

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: jrwoodjoe] #475892
09/22/09 05:28 PM
09/22/09 05:28 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Update...

Called Bob over at Fine Lines..

He took one of the set his cables off the shelf. His Intermediate cable is 1" longer than the one from Inline Tube. But more importantly as I suspected, the front cable is 3.5" longer than the one from Inline Tube.. the actual sheathing is the same length, but the cable is 3.5" longer. BTW, I am sure there is no problem with the rear cables as they seem to be the same as the originals- length wise.

I am sure that this will remedy the problem, but I am still wondering about the length of these cables compared to originals. I will attempt to lay out and measure the front and intermediate cables from Inline Tube, Fine Lines and a known original set before I put this to rest. This should clarify it.

Just wanted to update the post for those who are interested.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475893
09/23/09 12:07 AM
09/23/09 12:07 AM
Far Northeast.
mymcodebee Offline
master
mymcodebee  Offline
master

Far Northeast.
Had the same problem here Mike. I called them and they politely made me feel stupid and I finally gave up and made my own cable to make it work. I believe I just made a longer intermediate cable to compensate for the shorter front cable.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475894
09/23/09 02:31 AM
09/23/09 02:31 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Looking forward to seeing the results of both companies product compared to original.

Thanks For Taking The Time!

Tav

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: cataclysm80] #475895
09/23/09 03:10 AM
09/23/09 03:10 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
On a side note, we are making the correct firewall grommet for Finelines right now. Currently, no suppliers of cables include the grommet and the one available in the market is no where near correct.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: mymcodebee] #475896
09/23/09 08:32 AM
09/23/09 08:32 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Quote:

Had the same problem here Mike. I called them and they politely made me feel stupid and I finally gave up and made my own cable to make it work. I believe I just made a longer intermediate cable to compensate for the shorter front cable.

I live right by Inline Tube and have bought stuff from them for years. Started buying when they were a tiny 2 or 3 man orperation in one of those incubator industrial complexes. Now that they are big and fancy with fancy office and don't have time for regular guy customers. The staff SUXXXXXXXXXX and are rude ( I KNOW retail sales is tough but get a different job or hire different employees if you can't deal with customers). The last 3 purchases were wrong, ON THIER PART (I too have a complete set of ill fitting SS parking brake cables that AREN'T on my Challenger, $$$). I won't deal with them anymore even if they are close. Hopefully they have enough Chevy business that they can tick off or just sell to thier fancy pants rich customers (those are the only people they don't talk down to when you walk up to the counter).

I doubt I'll ever have to worry about becoming a big company BUT if I do, someone please punch me in the mouth if they see ME sporting a Rolex and smoking cigars in a fancy plush office while treating customers like crap. (Guess I am jealous to watch companies become sucessful while treating customers like crap and making ill fitting product. Maybe thats how you BECOME sucessfull? I can think of 5 resto parts companies like that off the top of my head )

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475897
09/23/09 09:26 AM
09/23/09 09:26 AM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
i thought i was the only one that was having issues with my e-brake stuff. not only is the lengths different, did anyone find the ball on the ends of the intermediate cable to be larger than original? i brought one to Ohio 2 years ago and showed someone from inline tube the difference with my cable and a repo. i got the "DUH, are you sure it's original, DUH. um, oh, um uuhhh". then i asked why they don't make them like the originals, i got "uh, oh, uumm, i don't know, duh".

one thing i've learned from restoring my Challenger

repo, junk
repo, junk
repo, junk

every repo part i've put on my car, i had to modify in some way shape or form

repo, junk

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: joelson6] #475898
09/23/09 10:09 AM
09/23/09 10:09 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I ordered my new E-brake kit from Fine Lines at the Mopar Nats. A few weeks later they called me up and said that they had a problem with the intermediat cables that were packaged in the kit. The cable was too long. They kindly explained the situation and said they hoped to have the correct length cables in a few weeks. I said that it wasn't a problem since my car isn't back from paint yet.

A few weeks ago, the new cable showed up. I took it out of the package and it didn't look right to me. I went on my computer and pulled up some reference pics I have been saving and the part seems to look right according to my reference pics. I havn't had a chance to compair it to the origonal cable yet.

I had wondered after making my purchase, if I should have checked out Inline Tubes prices first. I'm glad I bought the stuff from Fine Lines now that I read this thread. I guess the real test is going to be when I go to install everything.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: burdar] #475899
09/23/09 10:26 AM
09/23/09 10:26 AM
DTW
drmopar Offline
master
drmopar  Offline
master

DTW
I know the guys at Inline Tube and also had a problem with the main cable that attaches to the E brake pedal. I struggled for an hour or two and gave up, took it back to them and had them add 3 inches to the main line and it was fine. I told them the cable was too short and they said this was the first they heard of it....

--------------------
RM27H9G 4 speed F8/tan guts
RS27L9G auto B5/black guts
WM23H9G auto F5/green guts
2021 Challenger 392 Indigo/black guts
2019 Charger Daytona R/T F8 on black
2018 Ram Sport Hemi 4x4
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: drmopar] #475900
09/23/09 10:30 AM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
Quote:

I know the guys at Inline Tube and also had a problem with the main cable that attaches to the E brake pedal. I struggled for an hour or two and gave up, took it back to them and had them add 3 inches to the main line and it was fine. I told them the cable was too short and they said this was the first they heard of it....

of course,

deny
deny
deny

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: drmopar] #475901
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Strange, that's what I have been saying all along-all they told me is that I am doing something wrong and that they have sold thousands of these cable sets without a single complaint. Uhmmm, right....

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475902
09/23/09 02:53 PM
09/23/09 02:53 PM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline
master
LimeliteAero  Offline
master
L

SE Pa.
WOW!

I sure wish this topic came about months ago.

I bought a complete new cable kit from inline. Probably wont attempt installing it for many more months. I guess Im going to the garage and digging up the old cable to compare it to the new pieces.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: LimeliteAero] #475903
09/23/09 06:47 PM
09/23/09 06:47 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
I am needing the complete stainless setup for my 70 Challenger. I am told this is the setup without the intermediate cable. You guys have me paranoid about who to order from and will I get the correct cable set. Are you guys saying that all their E brake cables are wrong, or just the 71 models?

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475904
09/24/09 07:10 PM
09/24/09 07:10 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Well, I just went and grabbed my old cables to compare to the new Fine Lines ones I just got. I know the OP was talking about Inline Tube, but I thought that this would still apply.

My car is a 73 so it has an intermediate cable. I also ordered all stainless so there are probablly differences between what I got and the OE cables they sell.

Here are the two origonal rear cables next to the new ones. They are the correct length.

The origonal left and right side cables were not the same. Here you can see the difference. One even has some yellow paint still visable on the clip. Both new rear cables are the same in the Fine Lines kit.

This is the front cable. It is also the correct length.

Finally, here is the intermediate cable. The cable itself is the correct length but the bracket doesn't look like the origonal. There is a lot more curve to the new one.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: burdar] #475905
09/24/09 08:19 PM
09/24/09 08:19 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
OK, I think we have this issue resolved... BUt there are some things to note here- so follow this carefully...

Here is the deal. The Fine Lines front cable is the same length as the original, which is where everyone is having so much trouble. The Intermediate cable from Fine Lines is about 3/4" too long when compared with an original-no big deal here. Neither set provides the correct part that joins the front cable to the intermediate cable.

Here is a photo showing clearly the the shorter one from Inline Tube compared to the correct length one from Fine Lines.

The correct overall length of the inner cable for the front is 55-1/4", which is what the Fine Lines cable is. The Inline Tube cable only measures 52". here is a pic showing this problem.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475906
09/24/09 08:29 PM
09/24/09 08:29 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
So now we know that if we want to have the best fitting set- Fine Lines over Inline Tube.

But, there is one observation that I did make that pours a little cold water on this discovery.

The Inline Tube cables seem to be manufactured of a better quality of materials.

The color of the metal on the sheathing is darker on the Inline tube cables and the cables seem much stiffer. When I unwound the intermediate cable from the Inline tube box, the cable just about straightened itself all out in a line. The Fine Lines intermediate cable tended to just "flop around". If you wanted to make it straight you had to hold it, whereas the Inline Tube cable was much more rigid and seemed to be of better quality.

Same deal with the sheathing. Much darker(looks more like an original part) and the way the sheathing is "rolled" looks more finished on the Inline Tube part.

Here are a few more pictures. The Fine Line cable is at the top and the Inline Tube is at the bottom. Click on the Attachment and blow up the picture and you will get an idea of what I am talking about.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475907
09/24/09 08:33 PM
09/24/09 08:33 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Here is another closeup of the intermediate cable. The darker one is from Inline Tube. Notice how straight the one from Inline lays. I didn't manipulate either cable- just laid them on the floor.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475908
09/24/09 08:42 PM
09/24/09 08:42 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
In summary, get the ones from Fine Lines at this point, but if the people over at Inline Tube get the issue of the short front cable right, then they may just have a superior product IMO.

And to confuse the matter even further, I have no idea who makes what and who sells to who, so if you buy from places like Year One or Jack's- who knows what you will get. I didn't ask, and don't know if either of these companies are actually manufacturing the part, but if I had to guess I will say no.

Hopefully I didn't bore everyone to death with this-but it might be useful information as just about every restoration is likely to get new park cables. It might just save someone some aggravation.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475909
09/24/09 08:47 PM
09/24/09 08:47 PM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline
master
LimeliteAero  Offline
master
L

SE Pa.
Great thread!

only wish we hashed this out sooner.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475910
09/24/09 09:11 PM
09/24/09 09:11 PM
New Jersey Bada Bing
bremotorsports Offline
master
bremotorsports  Offline
master

New Jersey Bada Bing
Quote:

OK, I think we have this issue resolved... BUt there are some things to note here- so follow this carefully...

Here is the deal. The Fine Lines front cable is the same length as the original, which is where everyone is having so much trouble. The Intermediate cable from Fine Lines is about 3/4" too long when compared with an original-no big deal here. Neither set provides the correct part that joins the front cable to the intermediate cable.

Here is a photo showing clearly the the shorter one from Inline Tube compared to the correct length one from Fine Lines.

The correct overall length of the inner cable for the front is 55-1/4", which is what the Fine Lines cable is. The Inline Tube cable only measures 52". here is a pic showing this problem.

For those that are not familiar with the correct front cable-to-intermediate cable connector, which is unique to 71 B,J,R,W, I started reproducing it 4 years ago. Photo below, or check out my website.

Bill Rolik

5503923-P3060016.JPG (273 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: bremotorsports] #475911
09/24/09 09:51 PM
09/24/09 09:51 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
The reason the Fine Lines intermediate cable seems "floppy" is that the cable diameter is smaller than the factory unit.(on the stainless cable) The cable has a clear rubber/plastic sheathing on it witch brings the diameter up to the factory size. THe factory cable didn't have any rubber on it at all.

The part that connects the front cable to the intermediate cable that came with the kit looks very close to my origonal. Again, mine is a 73. If I have to I can clean up my origonal one but I don't think that is going to be an issue.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: burdar] #475912
09/24/09 09:56 PM
09/24/09 09:56 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

The reason the Fine Lines intermediate cable seems "floppy" is that the cable diameter is smaller than the factory unit.(on the stainless cable) The cable has a clear rubber/plastic sheathing on it witch brings the diameter up to the factory size. THe factory cable didn't have any rubber on it at all.

The part that connects the front cable to the intermediate cable that came with the kit looks very close to my origonal. Again, mine is a 73. If I have to I can clean up my origonal one but I don't think that is going to be an issue.

Not sure what you are referring to.

Both sets of lines I have here are steel and the intermediate cables have no "plastic coating" as you say.

The cable union shown by Bill Rolik is the correct design for a 71 car. Can't comment on what the 73 should look like.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: burdar] #475913
09/24/09 10:40 PM
09/24/09 10:40 PM
New Jersey Bada Bing
bremotorsports Offline
master
bremotorsports  Offline
master

New Jersey Bada Bing
Quote:

This is the correct front connector for 72-74.

Bill Rolik

5504190-P2270007.JPG (265 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475914
09/25/09 10:17 AM
09/25/09 10:17 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Quote:

I am needing the complete stainless setup for my 70 Challenger. I am told this is the setup without the intermediate cable. You guys have me paranoid about who to order from and will I get the correct cable set. Are you guys saying that all their E brake cables are wrong, or just the 71 models?

Does anyone even reproduce the 70 style cables? They weren't the last time I looked for them, but that has been several years back.

Tav

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475915
09/25/09 10:28 AM
09/25/09 10:28 AM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
I am needing the complete emergency brake kit for my 70 CHally. I am told this does NOT have the intermediate cable with it per this application.

I am concerned about ordering because I wont actually put it on until I am finished painting the car. What I dont want to do is order it, it sit on my shelf six months only to find out when I put it on, it DOES NOT FIT. Has anyone any direct experience in ordering the emergency brake kit for the 70 models. I certainly want my E brake stainless kit to be correct. I dont wanna have to listen to excuses 6 months from now.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475916
09/25/09 10:31 AM
09/25/09 10:31 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
I haven't had any problems with the 70 model(no intermediate cable). I have used several of the repops in this application with no problems. The quality wasn't that of the originals, but that seems the norm with ALL repop parts.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475917
09/25/09 10:33 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Quote:

Not sure what you are referring to.

Both sets of lines I have here are steel and the intermediate cables have no "plastic coating" as you say.

My cable is stainless and has a clear rubber coating over it.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475918
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Quote:

I haven't had any problems with the 70 model(no intermediate cable). I have used several of the repops in this application with no problems. The quality wasn't that of the originals, but that seems the norm with ALL repop parts.

MB

Who makes the 70 style cables? Are they available from both fine lines & inline tube? Last time I had to hunt down a used one in a junkyard.

Tav

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: cataclysm80] #475919
09/25/09 11:20 AM
09/25/09 11:20 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Tav, I installed 2 sets of my 70 cables on a couple of my Cudas, no problems.

Last edited by HEMICUDA; 09/25/09 12:08 PM.
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475920
09/25/09 01:24 PM
09/25/09 01:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Here is the deal....

1971 Cuda.

The cables were purchased from Inline Tube. There is NO way these will work. The front cable is too short. I checked two known original cars and both measure around 16" from where the cable comes through the frame on the drivers side to where it meets the intermediate cable with the Ebrake pedal in the released position(at rest). The cable that was provided by Inline Tube only measures around 12.5" when measured as above.

I took the cable back out and called IT. I measured the cable on the bench and they say that the cable is right and I must be doing something wrong. They claim to sell tons of these and never had a complaint. I don't buy it. Two original cars cannot be wrong. The intermediate cable seems to be the exact length of the originals and the short ends coming through the brackets at the back appear to be the right length as well.

Have any of you guys experienced this??

Thanks

Hello, if you would be so kind as to supply me with you Invoice number for this order so that I may address this issue for you.

Thank you
Marc McGrew
Inline Tube
Sales Manager

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: joelson6] #475921
09/25/09 01:40 PM
09/25/09 01:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

i thought i was the only one that was having issues with my e-brake stuff. not only is the lengths different, did anyone find the ball on the ends of the intermediate cable to be larger than original? i brought one to Ohio 2 years ago and showed someone from inline tube the difference with my cable and a repo. i got the "DUH, are you sure it's original, DUH. um, oh, um uuhhh". then i asked why they don't make them like the originals, i got "uh, oh, uumm, i don't know, duh".

Inline Tube is aware that the ball ends on our parking brake cables are larger than the factory ball. This was done for saftey reasons after having several small ball failures on original cables because of the small surface area. Also all of Inline Tube's hardware is designed to work with the larger ball which is only 1/16 larger in diameter then the original. This small ball end is only on 1 of the 3 to 4 cables and does not affect any function and is not even visable because once it is installed in the hardware you can not see the end of the cable.

Marc McGew
Inline Tube
Sales Manager

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475922
09/25/09 01:45 PM
09/25/09 01:45 PM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline
master
LimeliteAero  Offline
master
L

SE Pa.
Marc,

Thanks for registering and showing interest in our concerns with your product.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475923
09/25/09 01:55 PM
09/25/09 01:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

After looking into the post I have heard all the things that have been talked about above but with no hard proof.

Some say that 70 does not have the intermediate cable, others say it does and looking at orders from the past we have sold 80% of the 1970 cables without intermediate and 20 with - we do not know how to explain this.

There is also a difference between the cuda and challenger on the front and center cables - some say there is a difference and others say there is none.

We know that 71 have a different front hook but it is only 1/2" different from the other hook of 72-74 and there is that much adjustment in the cables.

We also know of the 71 Front to center connector and the 2 versions there is an early and a late and we include the late in our sets.

We have been making the cables for over 15 years and sold them to all the other line companies for the last few years and there listings match ours for the most part. In the last couple of our cables have been copied from one of the line companies with a cheaper version that is NOT quality so all line companies have been cut off from buying our product because we do not want it confused with the junk on the market.

If there is a problem with any cable - we want to know about it - If there is a cable that does not match the original we want to see the old with the new so it can be corrected. And if you know the answers to any of the above mysteries please answer and provide so proof - since we cannot change product on 3rd party info only.

We are the manufacture USA Made- NOT a China Carrier like all the others. We can make a cable in any length with any end fitting - Just let us know how to help and we would be happy to help.

Marc McGrew
Inline Tube
Sales Manager

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HEMICUDA] #475924
09/25/09 02:02 PM
09/25/09 02:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

On a side note, we are making the correct firewall grommet for Finelines right now. Currently, no suppliers of cables include the grommet and the one available in the market is no where near correct.

All Inline Tube cables come with the grommet installed on the front cables. If you purchased someone else cable set that did not have the grommet, it can be purchased from Inline Tube for $9.00. This can be installed on an assembled cable by using WD40.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: bremotorsports] #475925
09/25/09 02:15 PM
09/25/09 02:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

For those that are not familiar with the correct front cable-to-intermediate cable connector, which is unique to 71 B,J,R,W, I started reproducing it 4 years ago. Photo below, or check out my website.

Bill Rolik

Hi bill we are well aware of you hardware that you sell on ebay at over 3 times the cost of the inline tube hardware.

Inline tubwe hardware set - factory correct $49
all plated the correct colors and 100% correct.

Bills hardware 3 times the cost - Same qualty 3 time the cost - and he only make the hardware no cables -

Inline tube - makes the cables and the hardware for all A /B / E & even C Body.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475926
09/25/09 02:33 PM
09/25/09 02:33 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Dear Mr. Mc Grew.

Thank you for responding to this inquiry.

Your front cable is the incorrect length. The reason I know this is that I called your sales rep and he gave me the dimensions which are in fact wrong and match the shorter cable that I have here. So even if the cable didn't come from your company(which it did), the one you are listing is, in fact, wrong. It's not a big deal, but you will need to address this. The fact that your guy told me "he never had a complaint" on these cables proves that he is just lying, or doesn't really know what the deal is. There are several folks that have read this thread that have experienced the same issue-how many others are out there in this world?

Can you please get one of your front cables for this application and show the actual inner cable with a ruler next to it and post the picture. I have an original low mile 71 Hemicuda here and I can tell you that the one that Fine Lines sent is the correct length.

I am not here to bash anyone or any company. AS you can see I gave credit to your product as being of high quality. Get the length issue sorted out, provide the proper connector clamp, and you will be all set.

Regards

Mike Bonsanti
HP Motors

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475927
09/25/09 02:35 PM
09/25/09 02:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just to let everyone know I have done more digging. We at line tube have a print for every cable we make that is made off a factory original. If there is a problem with a cable and a customer sends in an original so that we can see the difference we make a print of it and store it on file. We have been doing this for 15 years and this is what we have on file so maybe this can be figured out.

This is cars with the center cable

70-72 Cuda - Front cable overall length 52"
70-72 Cuda - Center cable 90 1/8"

73-74 Cuda - Front cable overall length 52"
73-74 Cuda - Center Cable 85 3/4"

70-72 Challenger - Front cable overall length 52"
70-72 Challenger - Center cable 93 5/8"

73-74 Challenger - Front cable overall length 55"
73-74 Challenger - Center Cable 86"

There seems to be 3" in all the numbers between front and center cables, if the 52" cable does not exist why do i have 3 originals. If you are local you are welcome to stop by and we can dump out the box of originals there are several of each type in the box.

I welcome any knowledge that will help

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475928
09/25/09 02:50 PM
09/25/09 02:50 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
52" is NOT correct for the front line on a 1971 Cuda with an intermediate cable. I can send you photos of an original cable showing all of the correct dimensions. I would not want to risk sending it to you in case it gets lost or damaged.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475929
09/25/09 08:21 PM
09/25/09 08:21 PM
Great White North
Furyman Offline
master
Furyman  Offline
master

Great White North
Heres some factory #'s for you.
70 Cuda Frt 2950124
70 Chally Frt 2996056
True 70 E's do not use an intermediate cable.

71 Cuda/Chally Frt to 3/71 3467911
71 Cuda/Chally Frt after 3/71 3575581
72 Cuda Chally frt 3575581
73/4 Cuda Chally Frt 3575588

71/2 Cuda Inter. 3467976
71/2 Chally Inter. 3467977
73/74 Cuda Inter. 3642281
73/74 Chally Inter 3642282

As far as I know ...all the above have different lengths.I have some of them in NOS.
My company has been selling the Chinese cables..they are pretty good.Like most of the stuff from China you have to inspect it before shipping as they don't know a speedo cable from a park cable lol.

"Long Live Mopars"
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475930
09/26/09 12:08 AM
09/26/09 12:08 AM
New Jersey Bada Bing
bremotorsports Offline
master
bremotorsports  Offline
master

New Jersey Bada Bing
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bill Rolik

Hi bill we are well aware of you hardware that you sell on ebay at over 3 times the cost of the inline tube hardware.

Inline tubwe hardware set - factory correct $49
all plated the correct colors and 100% correct.

Bills hardware 3 times the cost - Same qualty 3 time the cost - and he only make the hardware no cables -

Inline tube - makes the cables and the hardware for all A /B / E & even C Body.

Marc,

Just a couple of points I would like to clarify strictly for informational purposes:

The FEW pieces of hardware that I offer were patterned after production line and NOS originals, of which I have many examples, and this was done without any research into what anyone else was offering at the time (almost 5 years ago) I had them made. I did them because I wanted to make them correctly, plain and simple. I also chose to make small quantities, which of course made the unit cost of all of the items much higher, and that is reflected in my retail prices. That is just the way it goes. The second point, regarding one particular item, that being the connectors (2 per car) between the intermediate cable and rear cables (your part number EC0042M), is that the bar stock (i.e. strips) used to make them is available (per my supplier) two ways: Flat sided, as are yours, and semi-round sided, as are ALL used and NOS versions I have ever seen in 35+ years, as well as my reproductions. Compare the item you offer, with the photo below, and you will see the difference. So yes, the overall quality is equal, but the compliance of this particular item, per your website photo, and relative to production line or NOS items, is not. Mine were reproduced with the purist in mind, and that is reflected in what I am SURE are much higher volumes for your product as opposed to mine. As always, the customer will decide what works best for him.

Regards,

Bill Rolik

P.S.

BRE Parking Brake Cable Hardware Packages, per my website:

71 B/E-Body #400 100.00
Adjuster Rod (Phosphate)
Rear Cable Connectors (2) (Clear Zinc)
Intermediate Cable Support Hook (Clear Zinc)
Front-To-Intermediate Cable Connector (Hot Dip Zinc)
Adjuster Rod Lock Nut (Zinc w/ Red Dye)

72-74 E-Body/72 B-Body #401 95.00
Adjuster Rod (Phosphate)
Front-To-Intermediate Cable Connector (Clear Zinc)

73-74 B-Body #402 95.00
Adjuster Rod (Phosphate)

72-74 A-Body #403 69.00
Adjuster Rod (Phosphate)

5506580-P3060017.JPG (299 downloads)
Last edited by bremotorsports; 09/27/09 10:18 AM.
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: bremotorsports] #475931
09/26/09 11:14 PM
09/26/09 11:14 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: bremotorsports] #475932
09/27/09 08:00 AM
09/27/09 08:00 AM
Tenn.
jrwoodjoe Offline
master
jrwoodjoe  Offline
master

Tenn.
Quote:

As always, the customer will decide what works best for him.

Regards,

Bill Rolik

AND which business offers the best customer service with the least amount of attitude.

Joe

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: jrwoodjoe] #475933
09/27/09 11:15 AM
09/27/09 11:15 AM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
Well I for one can appreciate and respect Inline Tubes direct response to issues concerning our hobby. Anytime we can get input and give input with respect to our manufacturers and suppliers the interests of the hobby is served.

I feel a little better relating to this subject and will be ordering a stainless emergency brake kit in the near future. Thanks for your input everyone.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475934
09/29/09 11:54 AM
09/29/09 11:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just want everyone to know that I have not abandoned this thread. I was out yesterday and will be gone for the rest of the week. I will get back and address some of the points that have been brought up next week.

If any of ya will be at Carlisle this weekend stop by our booth and say hi. We are located at C62 and I will be there through the weekend.

Marc McGrew
Inline Tube

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475935
09/29/09 06:05 PM
09/29/09 06:05 PM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Marc,
can one of my clients bring you some cables he purchased from you for return or exchange?
He will bring his originals to show you the difference.
Jules

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #475936
09/30/09 01:15 PM
09/30/09 01:15 PM
Kansas City, Missouri
71b5blue Offline
71b5blue  Offline

Kansas City, Missouri
After reading this I went and checked my set of Inline tube stainless cables.
Sure enough the original meaures 54 1/2" and the inline cable 52". I also have a set od Bill's original connector pieces (thanks Bill).
I ordred my cables through YearOne, so I don't know if I can exchange for the proper cable or not. The problem is I can't get the hook to attach to the transmission crossmember. I believe it would still work with the smaller cable but for what I paid i would like to have the correct length.

Inline guys?

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475937
09/30/09 01:22 PM
09/30/09 01:22 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Quote:

All Inline Tube cables come with the grommet installed on the front cables. If you purchased someone else cable set that did not have the grommet, it can be purchased from Inline Tube for $9.00. This can be installed on an assembled cable by using WD40.

My 70 Cuda Inline front cable did not come with a grommet. What do I have to do to get one?

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475938
09/30/09 02:12 PM
09/30/09 02:12 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Quote:

Some say that 70 does not have the intermediate cable, others say it does and looking at orders from the past we have sold 80% of the 1970 cables without intermediate and 20 with - we do not know how to explain this.

From the 70 Plymouth FSM

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475939
09/30/09 02:25 PM
09/30/09 02:25 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
From the 70-71 Factory Parts Book

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475940
10/01/09 06:14 AM
10/01/09 06:14 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
My 70 Cuda Inline front cable did not come with a grommet. What do I have to do to get one?

The grommets that are available are no where near close to being correct, the OD diameter is way to big and the 3 tabs are straight. The way they originally were designed was to have 2 tabs bent and one tab straight but on an angle. The straight angled tab was inserted into the firewall hole on an angle and then the grommet was push in and the other two tabs snapped in and held it in place.

The grommet issue was brought to my attention by Bob (Owner of Finelines) at the Mopar Nationals, he had an original and the reproduction grommet he wasn’t happy with for me to look at. Looking at only one original grommet, you might come to the conclusion that 2 of the mounting tabs somehow got bent and the reproduction, with the 3 straight tabs, was correct. I never paid to much attention to that part in the past so I pulled out several nice originals I have and did some more comparisons and that's just what I found.

Finelines will have the only correct firewall grommet as soon as we finish them. They will be on every set of brake cables he sells and an exclusive part to them. I’ll bet they won’t be $9 each when sold separately.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HEMICUDA] #475941
10/02/09 01:31 PM
10/02/09 01:31 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Mike,
Can they be installed on an assembled cable assembly?

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475942
10/02/09 01:44 PM
10/02/09 01:44 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
The originals were-just slip it over the cable. Easily enough stretch in the grommet to get it over the crimp.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475943
10/02/09 02:26 PM
10/02/09 02:26 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

Mike,
Can they be installed on an assembled cable assembly?

You bet.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475944
10/02/09 10:38 PM
10/02/09 10:38 PM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
Quote:

Just to let everyone know I have done more digging. We at line tube have a print for every cable we make that is made off a factory original. If there is a problem with a cable and a customer sends in an original so that we can see the difference we make a print of it and store it on file. We have been doing this for 15 years and this is what we have on file so maybe this can be figured out.

This is cars with the center cable

70-72 Cuda - Front cable overall length 52"
70-72 Cuda - Center cable 90 1/8"

73-74 Cuda - Front cable overall length 52"
73-74 Cuda - Center Cable 85 3/4"

70-72 Challenger - Front cable overall length 52"
70-72 Challenger - Center cable 93 5/8"

73-74 Challenger - Front cable overall length 55"
73-74 Challenger - Center Cable 86"

There seems to be 3" in all the numbers between front and center cables, if the 52" cable does not exist why do i have 3 originals. If you are local you are welcome to stop by and we can dump out the box of originals there are several of each type in the box.

I welcome any knowledge that will help

I just measured my 71 e-brake front cable and it is right at 55 inches, so can I order the front cable as a 73-74 challenger for my 71 and be correct ? I like the looks of the Inline cable.

logan426

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475945
10/04/09 12:36 AM
10/04/09 12:36 AM
Hilliard, Ohio
GKMOPAR Offline
mopar
GKMOPAR  Offline
mopar

Hilliard, Ohio
I have been fighting a problem with a cable set for my 70 challenger. My car does not use an intermediate cable. Both cables attach to the frame bracket inside the driver side rear frame rail. I purchased the set through Year One a couple fo years ago and the supplier was Inline Tube. The problem I am having is that the long cable that goes to the passenger wheel is longer where it attaches to the front cable bracket causing a severe angle. There is about a 1 inch difference in the lenght of the cables. I spoke with Inline Tube and they told me to talk to Year One. I spoke with Year One and they ordered me a replacement passenger cable. It did not fix the problem. My next move will be to try to order a new driver cable. I have rechecked the levers on the brake shoes and they are in an equal position. I don't know what else to do. Has anyone out there experienced any issues like this? Gerry.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #475946
10/06/09 01:32 PM
10/06/09 01:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Marc,
can one of my clients bring you some cables he purchased from you for return or exchange?
He will bring his originals to show you the difference.
Jules

Have him bring our cable and the original, we would be more than happy to remake it for him. If possible, give me a call with the order information and we can get started.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475947
10/06/09 01:45 PM
10/06/09 01:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Give me a call and I can get one out for you. 586-532-1338.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: GKMOPAR] #475948
10/06/09 01:54 PM
10/06/09 01:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I have been fighting a problem with a cable set for my 70 challenger. My car does not use an intermediate cable. Both cables attach to the frame bracket inside the driver side rear frame rail. I purchased the set through Year One a couple fo years ago and the supplier was Inline Tube. The problem I am having is that the long cable that goes to the passenger wheel is longer where it attaches to the front cable bracket causing a severe angle. There is about a 1 inch difference in the lenght of the cables. I spoke with Inline Tube and they told me to talk to Year One. I spoke with Year One and they ordered me a replacement passenger cable. It did not fix the problem. My next move will be to try to order a new driver cable. I have rechecked the levers on the brake shoes and they are in an equal position. I don't know what else to do. Has anyone out there experienced any issues like this? Gerry.

Do you have an original cable? You can give us a call with the lengths and we can look into what is going on.

Marc McGrew
Inline Tube
586-532-1338

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475949
10/06/09 02:12 PM
10/06/09 02:12 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
So what is the consensus?

It's pretty obvious that the 52" cable you are stocking is wrong, so are you going to make a revision?? Will those who have purchased prior be able to have a new cable made?? I would think it wouldn't be too bad, the sheathing is OK , just a new inner cable??

As stated previously, if you need a detailed measurement of an original from a 71 Cuda, I can provide detailed photos showing all correct dimensions. As this is an original car, I would not want to give up the actual original cable for this purpose.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475950
10/06/09 04:39 PM
10/06/09 04:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It's pretty obvious that the 52" cable you are stocking is wrong, so are you going to make a revision?? Will those who have purchased prior be able to have a new cable made?? I would think it wouldn't be too bad, the sheathing is OK , just a new inner cable??

As stated previously, if you need a detailed measurement of an original from a 71 Cuda, I can provide detailed photos showing all correct dimensions. As this is an original car, I would not want to give up the actual original cable for this purpose.

MB

What it comes down to is that Inline Tube is working on getting original cables in to our hands. I have one of the fine gentleman from this board sending me an original so that we can blueprint it and start working on what and where the problem is.

We are also interested in seeing any of the intermediate cables as we cannot see the front cable length changing and not the intermediate as well. If anyone has one and wants to lend it to us or swap it for a new one let me know.

Marc McGrew
Inline Tube
586-532-1338

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475951
10/06/09 05:43 PM
10/06/09 05:43 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

MB

What it comes down to is that Inline Tube is working on getting original cables in to our hands. I have one of the fine gentleman from this board sending me an original so that we can blueprint it and start working on what and where the problem is.

We are also interested in seeing any of the intermediate cables as we cannot see the front cable length changing and not the intermediate as well. If anyone has one and wants to lend it to us or swap it for a new one let me know.

Marc McGrew
Inline Tube
586-532-1338

What is the original one he is sending you(application)? Is it 55" or 52"??

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475952
10/06/09 07:13 PM
10/06/09 07:13 PM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Marc,
can you answer the question that was asked please?
"Will those who have purchased prior be able to have a new cable made??"
Jules

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #475953
10/06/09 07:48 PM
10/06/09 07:48 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
Me thinks there are some in here with ulterior motives. Things that you go hmmmmm.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475954
10/06/09 08:49 PM
10/06/09 08:49 PM
KY USA
E
E-Body Products Offline
enthusiast
E-Body Products  Offline
enthusiast
E

KY USA
I just wanted to say that Bill Rolik offers good products. It costs a great deal of time and money to create exact reproduction parts as he is doing. I commend him for this and only he can understand his true costs behind the parts themselves. Keep up the good work Bill. Bill also has a great deal of used parts and I think that most of them are priced very much within reason.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: GKMOPAR] #475955
10/07/09 02:25 AM
10/07/09 02:25 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

The bracket will be on a pretty good angle just like they were originally. It didn't look right when I had 2 of my restored 70's on the lift until I looked at one of my survivors and that's just what I found. The cables are not the same length.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HEMICUDA] #475956
10/07/09 05:28 AM
10/07/09 05:28 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Not to veer off course here,,,,

But while we are discussing the correcting and improving an existing product, some mention needs to be made of the flimsy horseshoe clips that are provided with these kits to retain the cables to the frame in the rear.

Low quality, half as thick, and lacks the tension of the originals. Nothing remotely close to the original part.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475957
10/07/09 05:32 AM
10/07/09 05:32 AM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

But while we are discussing the correcting and improving an existing product, some mention needs to be made of the flimsy horseshoe clips that are provided with these kits to retain the cables to the frame in the rear.

Low quality, half as thick, and lacks the tension of the originals. Nothing remotely close to the original part.

MB

The center of them tends to break and they fall off, happened more then once to me!

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475958
10/07/09 08:34 AM
10/07/09 08:34 AM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MB

Marc McGrew
Inline Tube
586-532-1338

What is the original one he is sending you(application)? Is it 55" or 52"??

MB

55 incher

logan426

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: MLR426] #475959
10/07/09 08:41 AM
10/07/09 08:41 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MB

55 incher

logan426

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475960
10/07/09 09:43 AM
10/07/09 09:43 AM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
You winked at me

Marc, will have an answer to our wishes soon
with a correct cable length. I believe the
55 inch cable application Inline tube number
550 for 72-74 challenger is the correct cable
for 71 cuda.

logan426

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: MLR426] #475961
10/07/09 10:00 AM
10/07/09 10:00 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

You winked at me

Marc, will have an answer to our wishes soon
with a correct cable length. I believe the
55 inch cable application Inline tube number
550 for 72-74 challenger is the correct cable
for 71 cuda.

logan426

Don't flatter yourself.

Actually, the wink is a verification of what we have already determined weeks ago on this thread. yet somehow we are still on a fact finding mission?

I think we need to now direct our attention to these crummy horseshoe clips that are sent with these cables. As was pointed out by Alan G, the center just pops out of these worthless POS clips. Looks like a stamping gaffe to me, or they are possibly used for different applications where a larger diameter cable needs a retention clip. I never use them unless the originals are missing. The 40 year old stuff winds up being better than the new. But that is just the way it is,I guess..

Hey Bill Rolik, chime in here. Are you having these clips made??

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475962
10/07/09 10:08 AM
10/07/09 10:08 AM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL

Didn't flatter me, I was a bit worried though.

Where headed in the right direction and should
have the right product for the application soon.

logan426

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: anlauto] #475963
10/12/09 10:09 AM
10/12/09 10:09 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Quote:

Quote:

MB

The center of them tends to break and they fall off, happened more then once to me!

Then your using the wrong ones.

I ck'd mine this weekend and compared it to an original and they're within .001" / .002" in any dimension

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gtx6970] #475964
10/12/09 05:06 PM
10/12/09 05:06 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MB

Then your using the wrong ones.

I ck'd mine this weekend and compared it to an original and they're within .001" / .002" in any dimension

Bill:

Please post a picture of the ones you are referring to. The ones in the kit are terrible.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475965
10/12/09 06:34 PM
10/12/09 06:34 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat

5541175-DSC00286.JPG (193 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gtx6970] #475966
10/12/09 07:18 PM
10/12/09 07:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WRONG
they don,t fit because those are brake HOSE clips
not brake CABLE clips

left is cabe clip
right is hose clip

5541270-100_2055.JPG (252 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475967
10/12/09 07:29 PM
10/12/09 07:29 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

WRONG
they don,t fit because those are brake HOSE clips
not brake CABLE clips

left is cabe clip
right is hose clip

That's what i was thinking.....

Now, I am not sure if Tomr's clip is different from the ones I have experience with, but they kinda look the same as the ones pictured on the left. Do you notice the circular outline on the inside of the clip? Well that part winds up coming away from the clip and they now become pretty much useless as they don't securely hold the cable to the frame bracket. And they are rather flimsy and lack the rigidity and tension of the originals. Hopefully I have explained it so all can understand. If someone wants to add anything to clarify, feel free to do so. Again, bear in mind that while they kinda look the same, Tom may have a superior item than what I have had sent with the cables I have used.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475968
10/12/09 09:25 PM
10/12/09 09:25 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

I've used the clips that were supplied with the cables by Inline Tube only to find them lying on the floor with the centers broken out.
I'm not using brake hose clips.

Trust me, I've assembly a few E bodys this year alone....

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: anlauto] #475969
10/16/09 04:57 PM
10/16/09 04:57 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Here is an original firewall grommet. It was an SOB to get off.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475970
10/16/09 05:03 PM
10/16/09 05:03 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475971
10/16/09 05:46 PM
10/16/09 05:46 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475972
10/16/09 06:33 PM
10/16/09 06:33 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I wish my origonal looked that good. I'll definatly be needing a new one.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: burdar] #475973
10/16/09 07:23 PM
10/16/09 07:23 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Quote:

Inline Tube is aware that the ball ends on our parking brake cables are larger than the factory ball. This was done for saftey reasons after having several small ball failures on original cables because of the small surface area. Also all of Inline Tube's hardware is designed to work with the larger ball which is only 1/16 larger in diameter then the original. This small ball end is only on 1 of the 3 to 4 cables and does not affect any function and is not even visable because once it is installed in the hardware you can not see the end of the cable.

Do the Fine Lines cables use the original ball size?

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475974
10/17/09 03:33 PM
10/17/09 03:33 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475975
10/17/09 04:13 PM
10/17/09 04:13 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Quote:

Also all of Inline Tube's hardware is designed to work with the larger ball which is only 1/16 larger in diameter then the original.

Maybe it's just me, but the difference in diameter looks like a lot more than 1/16"
Inline Tube Ball = 0.443"
Original Ball = 0.312"

5551125-PA162556.JPG (150 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475976
10/17/09 05:41 PM
10/17/09 05:41 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Another difference is the shape of the groove in the end fittings. I would think this would require a different shaped retainer clip.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475977
10/17/09 11:36 PM
10/17/09 11:36 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Interesting side note.

1970 Cuda Dana drivers side cable end colors.

Light green seal and red locking collar.

Outer Cover = 24 3/8""
Inner Cable = 34 1/2"

5551873-PA172575.JPG (193 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475978
10/17/09 11:37 PM
10/17/09 11:37 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
1970 Cuda Dana passenger side cable end colors.

White seal and yellow locking collar.

Outer Cover = 65 1/2"
Inner Cable = 74 1/2"

5551875-PA172577.JPG (215 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475979
10/18/09 01:56 PM
10/18/09 01:56 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
For those of you with 70 E-Bodies.
All inner cable measurements are the OAL's end to end. Adjust for end fittings.

Original cables:
Front - Cuda - add 2" for Challenger
Outer - 38 1/4"
Inner - 49 1/2"

Drivers Side
Outer - 24 3/8"
Inner - 34 1/2"

Passenger Side
Outer - 65 1/2"
Inner - 74 1/2"

Inline Tube cables:
Front - P/N FT-551 - Cuda - add 2" for Challenger
Outer - 38 1/2"
Inner - 50"

Drivers Side - P/N RE-552
Outer - 24 1/4"
Inner - 25"

Passenger Side - P/N RE-553
Outer - 64 1/2"
Inner - 75"

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475980
10/18/09 02:28 PM
10/18/09 02:28 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
What are these clips?

5552652-Clip.jpg (197 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475981
10/18/09 02:51 PM
10/18/09 02:51 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

What are these clips?

M/T clutch linkage clips.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475982
10/18/09 03:02 PM
10/18/09 03:02 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Thanks
That's what I thought, but they were in a bag of brake parts.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475983
10/18/09 03:54 PM
10/18/09 03:54 PM
Richmond, VA
R
rayztoy Offline
super stock
rayztoy  Offline
super stock
R

Richmond, VA
Does a similar clip(retainer) hold the front parking brake cable to the frame rail? What is the best way to remove without damaging it? Thanks.
Ray

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: rayztoy] #475984
10/18/09 05:06 PM
10/18/09 05:06 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
That clip looks nothing like the one shown(for the brake backing plate). It's a small circular spring steel clip with small barbs that hold it to the rail. I never had any trouble just pulling them out with a rocking motion. No damage.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475985
10/18/09 05:46 PM
10/18/09 05:46 PM
Richmond, VA
R
rayztoy Offline
super stock
rayztoy  Offline
super stock
R

Richmond, VA
Mike,
As always, thank you!

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475986
10/18/09 07:55 PM
10/18/09 07:55 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
This is a picture of the Inline Tube clip and an original one, sorry it ain't pretty.

It looks like the clip goes in the hole before the cable?

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475987
10/18/09 08:04 PM
10/18/09 08:04 PM
Richmond, VA
R
rayztoy Offline
super stock
rayztoy  Offline
super stock
R

Richmond, VA
Snoopy,
Thank you!

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475988
10/18/09 08:52 PM
10/18/09 08:52 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

That would be correct.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: 62maxwgn] #475989
10/19/09 06:30 PM
10/19/09 06:30 PM
Richmond, VA
R
rayztoy Offline
super stock
rayztoy  Offline
super stock
R

Richmond, VA
Quote:

Quote:

That would be correct.

Thanks Bill!

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475990
10/21/09 03:51 PM
10/21/09 03:51 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Marc McGrew at Inline Tube was kind enough to send me a new grommet for my front emergency brake cable.

Marc, thank you.

Here is a comparison picture showing the differences between Inline's grommet and a used original.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475991
10/21/09 04:22 PM
10/21/09 04:22 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Now for the next challenge. Shoving a 3/4" diameter part through a 11/32" diameter hole.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475992
10/21/09 04:28 PM
10/21/09 04:28 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

Marc McGrew at Inline Tube was kind enough to send me a new grommet for my front emergency brake cable.

Marc, thank you.

Here is a comparison picture showing the differences between Inline's grommet and a used original.

When I get to the office tomorrow I will try to post a picture of the one we did for Fine Lines that I'm test fitting right now. It looks identical to your original Snoopy except I didn't machine the "FB" in the tool yet.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475993
10/21/09 05:21 PM
10/21/09 05:21 PM
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:

Now for the next challenge. Shoving a 3/4" diameter part through a 11/32" diameter hole.

Soak the grommet in hot water for a while and then apply some lube... Really helps.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475994
10/21/09 06:01 PM
10/21/09 06:01 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Use liquid hand soap and it will go right on.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475995
10/21/09 07:06 PM
10/21/09 07:06 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
WOW

this thread is loaded with great info. i've been crying about my repo e-brake junk for 4 years now. glad to see people speaking out

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475996
10/21/09 10:30 PM
10/21/09 10:30 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Here is one of a couple we pounded out for testing.

5559405-GROMMET.gif (237 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HEMICUDA] #475997
10/21/09 10:32 PM
10/21/09 10:32 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Back side. I would be more than happy to supply these to Inline if they're interested so they will have the right grommet for their cable sets.

5559409-GROMMET1.gif (185 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475998
10/25/09 03:31 PM
10/25/09 03:31 PM
New Jersey
F
FC7 cuda Offline
super stock
FC7 cuda  Offline
super stock
F

New Jersey
where do you get the proper clips ??? mine all broke

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: joelson6] #475999
10/26/09 01:22 PM
10/26/09 01:22 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

one thing i've learned from restoring my Challenger

repo, junk
repo, junk
repo, junk

every repo part i've put on my car, i had to modify in some way shape or form

repo, junk

yes, I posted that and was told to grind out the holes to make them fit. but ya, the balls are bigger

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: bremotorsports] #476000
05/12/10 02:28 PM
05/12/10 02:28 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Online rolleyes
I Win
JohnRR  Online Rolleyes
I Win

U.S.S.A.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: aarcuda] #476001
05/12/10 03:38 PM
05/12/10 03:38 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
yea aarcuda, that's what i did.

it's a shame that someone can't just buy a piece or couple of pieces to replace damaged or missing parts. you need to buy everything to make it work the way the reproduction was designed. OR modify parts to get it to work correctly.

the intermediate cable i bought didn't have the plate that the adjuster rod goes through. i had to pry my old one off and put it on the int. cable.

the ball ends were bigger, so i had to drill out the clips that attach the back cable to the int. cable.

and finally, because the cable was longer, i didn't think it was gonna fit. BUT i was able to put the adjuster rod in a different hole in the frame to make it work.

it works fine, but i guess i'm gonna lose points because of that

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #476002
12/15/13 03:52 AM
12/15/13 03:52 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline
mopar

California, USA
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to refresh the questions/issues, as I am in need of a kit for my '70 Challenger (w/o intermediate cable). What have been your recent experiences with Inline Tubes and/or Fine Lines for their E-brake cable kits (specifically regarding cable length accuracy, quality of manufacturing, and customer service satisfaction)? Any other recommendations for vendors/manufactures? I only want to do this once w/o the nightmares I've read about from other member's past experiences. Thanks.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: filmsurgeon] #476003
12/15/13 03:48 PM
12/15/13 03:48 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Wow: Good thread, I'm heading out to the garage to clean up the original cables it looks like.

Sheldon

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #476004
12/16/13 01:49 PM
12/16/13 01:49 PM
pa.
D
dan9 Offline
super stock
dan9  Offline
super stock
D

pa.
I got a set from Summit Racing (Right Stuff) for my 70 Challenger. Mine fit perfectly.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: dan9] #476005
12/17/13 04:50 AM
12/17/13 04:50 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

I got a set from Summit Racing (Right Stuff) for my 70 Challenger. Mine fit perfectly.

Thanks. I know about the "Right Stuff" product. I understand they are good "aftermarket" cables, but I'm looking toward either Fine Lines or Inline Tubes for their "factory correct" manufacturing.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: filmsurgeon] #476006
12/17/13 10:47 AM
12/17/13 10:47 AM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
None of the cables you mentioned are 100% "factory correct".

The Right Stuff cables look as authentic as the others to me.

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/emergency-brake-cables/complete-e-brake-cable-sets?p=4

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7