HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Here is the deal....

1971 Cuda.

The cables were purchased from Inline Tube. There is NO way these will work. The front cable is too short. I checked two known original cars and both measure around 16" from where the cable comes through the frame on the drivers side to where it meets the intermediate cable with the Ebrake pedal in the released position(at rest). The cable that was provided by Inline Tube only measures around 12.5" when measured as above.

I took the cable back out and called IT. I measured the cable on the bench and they say that the cable is right and I must be doing something wrong. They claim to sell tons of these and never had a complaint. I don't buy it. Two original cars cannot be wrong. The intermediate cable seems to be the exact length of the originals and the short ends coming through the brackets at the back appear to be the right length as well.

Have any of you guys experienced this??

Thanks

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475887
09/21/09 08:39 PM
09/21/09 08:39 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
Every kit I've bought for 71 Ebodys has not worked. I never thought of mearsuring the front cable, I always thought it was the intermediate cable causing the problems...

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475888
09/21/09 08:47 PM
09/21/09 08:47 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Are you sure that you are using the correct routing?

Maybe someone with an original cable will take the time to get you the measurements?

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: Snoopy] #475889
09/21/09 09:36 PM
09/21/09 09:36 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Alan:

Trust me, the issue isn't the intermediate cable, it's the front cable. You could "cheat" it with a longer intermediate cable, but it still will not be right. I have a stash of over 100 NOS brake cables and I am sure I have a front for an ebody in there. Doesn't matter, the cable isn't the same as the original, and I have already verified that.

Snoopy.

Even though I am 110% sure I have it correct, technically, you could route the sheathing any way you want to. If the ends are properly placed where they should be(in the e brake mechanism and in the dedicated hole in the frame for the front cable) then all that's left is the inner cable itself. If it's too short then you are SOL.

I have two known original 71 Ebodies at my disposal, so it's not hard to figure out what it should be. Just wondering how many others have run into problems.

We will sort this out and I will post findings and hopefully keep someone else from having to deal with this.

Anyone with any other experiences care to offer any input, I am all ears(eyes?).
MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475890
09/22/09 03:19 AM
09/22/09 03:19 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Had the same problem with the Inline cables, ran down the street to Fine Lines to see Bob and grab a set of the ones he has (not from Inline). Hour later I went back for the second set I needed for my other 71, I had no problems with the install.

In total, I put 4 sets on my Cudas, 2 70 and 2 71.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HEMICUDA] #475891
09/22/09 07:01 AM
09/22/09 07:01 AM
Tenn.
jrwoodjoe Offline
master
jrwoodjoe  Offline
master

Tenn.
Quote:

We will sort this out adn I will post findings and hopefully keep someone else from having to deal with this.

Quote:

Had the same problem with the Inline cables, ran down the street to Fine Lines to see Bob and grab a set of the ones he has (not from Inline). Hour later I went back for the second set I needed for my other 71, I had no problems with the install.

In total, I put 4 sets on my Cudas, 2 70 and 2 71.

Thanks to both of you guys for your posts. I thought I had read about issues in the past but could not recall. Now that my car is getting closer to being done, I'm starting to pick up some of these types of items. With your help, hopefully I and others will get the right stuff the first time around.

Joe

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: jrwoodjoe] #475892
09/22/09 05:28 PM
09/22/09 05:28 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Update...

Called Bob over at Fine Lines..

He took one of the set his cables off the shelf. His Intermediate cable is 1" longer than the one from Inline Tube. But more importantly as I suspected, the front cable is 3.5" longer than the one from Inline Tube.. the actual sheathing is the same length, but the cable is 3.5" longer. BTW, I am sure there is no problem with the rear cables as they seem to be the same as the originals- length wise.

I am sure that this will remedy the problem, but I am still wondering about the length of these cables compared to originals. I will attempt to lay out and measure the front and intermediate cables from Inline Tube, Fine Lines and a known original set before I put this to rest. This should clarify it.

Just wanted to update the post for those who are interested.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475893
09/23/09 12:07 AM
09/23/09 12:07 AM
Far Northeast.
mymcodebee Offline
master
mymcodebee  Offline
master

Far Northeast.
Had the same problem here Mike. I called them and they politely made me feel stupid and I finally gave up and made my own cable to make it work. I believe I just made a longer intermediate cable to compensate for the shorter front cable.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475894
09/23/09 02:31 AM
09/23/09 02:31 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Looking forward to seeing the results of both companies product compared to original.

Thanks For Taking The Time!

Tav

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: cataclysm80] #475895
09/23/09 03:10 AM
09/23/09 03:10 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
On a side note, we are making the correct firewall grommet for Finelines right now. Currently, no suppliers of cables include the grommet and the one available in the market is no where near correct.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: mymcodebee] #475896
09/23/09 08:32 AM
09/23/09 08:32 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Quote:

Had the same problem here Mike. I called them and they politely made me feel stupid and I finally gave up and made my own cable to make it work. I believe I just made a longer intermediate cable to compensate for the shorter front cable.

I live right by Inline Tube and have bought stuff from them for years. Started buying when they were a tiny 2 or 3 man orperation in one of those incubator industrial complexes. Now that they are big and fancy with fancy office and don't have time for regular guy customers. The staff SUXXXXXXXXXX and are rude ( I KNOW retail sales is tough but get a different job or hire different employees if you can't deal with customers). The last 3 purchases were wrong, ON THIER PART (I too have a complete set of ill fitting SS parking brake cables that AREN'T on my Challenger, $$$). I won't deal with them anymore even if they are close. Hopefully they have enough Chevy business that they can tick off or just sell to thier fancy pants rich customers (those are the only people they don't talk down to when you walk up to the counter).

I doubt I'll ever have to worry about becoming a big company BUT if I do, someone please punch me in the mouth if they see ME sporting a Rolex and smoking cigars in a fancy plush office while treating customers like crap. (Guess I am jealous to watch companies become sucessful while treating customers like crap and making ill fitting product. Maybe thats how you BECOME sucessfull? I can think of 5 resto parts companies like that off the top of my head )

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475897
09/23/09 09:26 AM
09/23/09 09:26 AM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
i thought i was the only one that was having issues with my e-brake stuff. not only is the lengths different, did anyone find the ball on the ends of the intermediate cable to be larger than original? i brought one to Ohio 2 years ago and showed someone from inline tube the difference with my cable and a repo. i got the "DUH, are you sure it's original, DUH. um, oh, um uuhhh". then i asked why they don't make them like the originals, i got "uh, oh, uumm, i don't know, duh".

one thing i've learned from restoring my Challenger

repo, junk
repo, junk
repo, junk

every repo part i've put on my car, i had to modify in some way shape or form

repo, junk

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: joelson6] #475898
09/23/09 10:09 AM
09/23/09 10:09 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I ordered my new E-brake kit from Fine Lines at the Mopar Nats. A few weeks later they called me up and said that they had a problem with the intermediat cables that were packaged in the kit. The cable was too long. They kindly explained the situation and said they hoped to have the correct length cables in a few weeks. I said that it wasn't a problem since my car isn't back from paint yet.

A few weeks ago, the new cable showed up. I took it out of the package and it didn't look right to me. I went on my computer and pulled up some reference pics I have been saving and the part seems to look right according to my reference pics. I havn't had a chance to compair it to the origonal cable yet.

I had wondered after making my purchase, if I should have checked out Inline Tubes prices first. I'm glad I bought the stuff from Fine Lines now that I read this thread. I guess the real test is going to be when I go to install everything.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: burdar] #475899
09/23/09 10:26 AM
09/23/09 10:26 AM
DTW
drmopar Offline
master
drmopar  Offline
master

DTW
I know the guys at Inline Tube and also had a problem with the main cable that attaches to the E brake pedal. I struggled for an hour or two and gave up, took it back to them and had them add 3 inches to the main line and it was fine. I told them the cable was too short and they said this was the first they heard of it....

--------------------
RM27H9G 4 speed F8/tan guts
RS27L9G auto B5/black guts
WM23H9G auto F5/green guts
2021 Challenger 392 Indigo/black guts
2019 Charger Daytona R/T F8 on black
2018 Ram Sport Hemi 4x4
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: drmopar] #475900
09/23/09 10:30 AM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
Quote:

I know the guys at Inline Tube and also had a problem with the main cable that attaches to the E brake pedal. I struggled for an hour or two and gave up, took it back to them and had them add 3 inches to the main line and it was fine. I told them the cable was too short and they said this was the first they heard of it....

of course,

deny
deny
deny

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: drmopar] #475901
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Strange, that's what I have been saying all along-all they told me is that I am doing something wrong and that they have sold thousands of these cable sets without a single complaint. Uhmmm, right....

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475902
09/23/09 02:53 PM
09/23/09 02:53 PM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline
master
LimeliteAero  Offline
master
L

SE Pa.
WOW!

I sure wish this topic came about months ago.

I bought a complete new cable kit from inline. Probably wont attempt installing it for many more months. I guess Im going to the garage and digging up the old cable to compare it to the new pieces.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: LimeliteAero] #475903
09/23/09 06:47 PM
09/23/09 06:47 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
I am needing the complete stainless setup for my 70 Challenger. I am told this is the setup without the intermediate cable. You guys have me paranoid about who to order from and will I get the correct cable set. Are you guys saying that all their E brake cables are wrong, or just the 71 models?

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475904
09/24/09 07:10 PM
09/24/09 07:10 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Well, I just went and grabbed my old cables to compare to the new Fine Lines ones I just got. I know the OP was talking about Inline Tube, but I thought that this would still apply.

My car is a 73 so it has an intermediate cable. I also ordered all stainless so there are probablly differences between what I got and the OE cables they sell.

Here are the two origonal rear cables next to the new ones. They are the correct length.

The origonal left and right side cables were not the same. Here you can see the difference. One even has some yellow paint still visable on the clip. Both new rear cables are the same in the Fine Lines kit.

This is the front cable. It is also the correct length.

Finally, here is the intermediate cable. The cable itself is the correct length but the bracket doesn't look like the origonal. There is a lot more curve to the new one.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: burdar] #475905
09/24/09 08:19 PM
09/24/09 08:19 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
OK, I think we have this issue resolved... BUt there are some things to note here- so follow this carefully...

Here is the deal. The Fine Lines front cable is the same length as the original, which is where everyone is having so much trouble. The Intermediate cable from Fine Lines is about 3/4" too long when compared with an original-no big deal here. Neither set provides the correct part that joins the front cable to the intermediate cable.

Here is a photo showing clearly the the shorter one from Inline Tube compared to the correct length one from Fine Lines.

The correct overall length of the inner cable for the front is 55-1/4", which is what the Fine Lines cable is. The Inline Tube cable only measures 52". here is a pic showing this problem.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7