01/23/23 01:44 PM
01/23/23 01:44 PM
Morningside
AdventurerSport Offline
waaaay out there in left field
AdventurerSport  Offline
waaaay out there in left field

Morningside
I think that Trucks/SUVs will stick with gas powertrains for some time.
I would be surprised if Ram goes 100% electric in a few years. I believe that the Ram Revolution EV will be a stand alone model, with regular Ram 1500/2500/3500 continuing with gas and diesel options.

And, if GM can create a new gen V8 that meets emissions and mileage restrictions, then Mopar should be able to beat that with an updated Hemi V8, even if they have to pair it with a mild-hybrid system to make it work.

JS

76 Dodge Adventurer Sport Power Wagon W100 318, 727, NP203 Fulltime 4x4 Russet Red
06 Jeep Commander Ltd 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, QuadraDrive II
06 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi
10 Mopar 10 Challenger R/T, #483/500, 5.7L HEMI
10 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 4x4 5.7L HEMI
11 Dodge Ram 1500 LoneStar Quad Cab, 5.7L HEMI, Fulltime 4x4, Deep Cherry Red
16 Jeep Cherokee Limited 3.2L Pentastar V6, 9 Speed Torqueflite, 4x4, Black

Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: 360view] #3115713
01/23/23 03:23 PM
01/23/23 03:23 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by 360view
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
"[i]GM announced on Friday that it would be spending $854 million to make its sixth-generation small block V8, and $64 million to help its EV efforts, in news that sounds like it belongs in a different year but isn’t. The news also confirms that a sixth-generation small block V8 is happening, which GM says it intends to use to “strengthen its industry-leading full-size truck and SUV business.”

I personally do not think it would be crazy to design and build a big cube spark ignition V8 that could run on gasoline, propane, cng, or butanol, and push it for 18 wheel trucks.
Maybe pay Mazda to co-develop it.

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel with DEF fluid and particulate filters is no longer the low cost per 500,000 mile option.

Putting a tractor trailer sized load behind a gas engine is asking for trouble. That’s A LOT of heat to deal with. It won’t be cost efficient to do tear downs that often even compared to a diesel with the emissions band aids.

I want my fair share
Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3115716
01/23/23 03:25 PM
01/23/23 03:25 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
[quote][/quote]Problem none of the evs have solved yet is charging time. I also really haven’t seen range improve that much in the last few years. Most are stuck around the 300 mile range.

I want my fair share
Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: AdventurerSport] #3115722
01/23/23 03:44 PM
01/23/23 03:44 PM
Carlisle, PA
C
cudaboy340 Offline
super stock
cudaboy340  Offline
super stock
C

Carlisle, PA
It was almost a year ago that Ford announced that rather than go all electric, they are creating an EV team and an ICE team within the company. They also have no immediate plans to kill the ICE Mustang.

Toyota said months ago that they are backpedaling on EVs.

Now GM looks to be backpedaling.

If we're all honest about it, Chrysler is typically behind on the trends. About 1.5 years ago when Jaguar, Volvo and some others stated they were going 100% EV by 20XX, I thought Chrysler might be in a good position by being so far behind since they hadn't announced any full EV vehicles (only hybrids at that time) because even back then, I was pretty sure it was too soon for an OEM to go 100% EV.

Now that Chrysler is clearly working on full EV vehicles, I'm a little concerned that they might be too far along in EV development to go back to ICE. They obviously have their current ICE offerings as well as the upcoming Hurricane, but will that be "enough" compared to the others that have already decided to backtrack?

It's going to be interesting whistling

Ed

Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3115736
01/23/23 04:21 PM
01/23/23 04:21 PM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
super stock
Dart 500  Offline
super stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Problem none of the evs have solved yet is charging time. I also really haven’t seen range improve that much in the last few years. Most are stuck around the 300 mile range.

And you wont until solid state batteries (used in pace makers) come out. They're working on them and I think Toyota has one coming out in a year, I dont think its a real solid state though. Stellantis is working on them as well. They charge very fast, weight next to nothing and dont catch fire. You can also add a zero to the range over lithium.

Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: cudaboy340] #3115739
01/23/23 04:25 PM
01/23/23 04:25 PM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
super stock
Dart 500  Offline
super stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Originally Posted by cudaboy340
It was almost a year ago that Ford announced that rather than go all electric, they are creating an EV team and an ICE team within the company. They also have no immediate plans to kill the ICE Mustang.

Toyota said months ago that they are backpedaling on EVs.

Now GM looks to be backpedaling.

If we're all honest about it, Chrysler is typically behind on the trends. About 1.5 years ago when Jaguar, Volvo and some others stated they were going 100% EV by 20XX, I thought Chrysler might be in a good position by being so far behind since they hadn't announced any full EV vehicles (only hybrids at that time) because even back then, I was pretty sure it was too soon for an OEM to go 100% EV.

Now that Chrysler is clearly working on full EV vehicles, I'm a little concerned that they might be too far along in EV development to go back to ICE. They obviously have their current ICE offerings as well as the upcoming Hurricane, but will that be "enough" compared to the others that have already decided to backtrack?

It's going to be interesting whistling

Ed

The 3.0L will be good at tricking the EPA tests but I doubt would be much better in real world. That 410hp 3.0L is going to be boosted big time to make the rated power and at 15-22 psi will use just as much fuel as a 6.5L V8. The H.O requires premium and will have even more boost, at full song it'll be 7.0L +

Again, all these have to do is put up good numbers for the EPA test which is cruising with no boost.

Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: Tom_440] #3115746
01/23/23 04:40 PM
01/23/23 04:40 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Originally Posted by Tom_440
Originally Posted by justinp61
What is the future of the Ram trucks? Has anyone heard?

Buy a good extension cord.

Or tow a diesel generator to recharge the truck.

Carry a small generator in the bed so it works like a diesel locomotive but with an added battery storage. You could run a generator small enough to power it at cruise speeds (probably 30-40 HP) and at idle and coast it can charge the battery for to be used on acceleration and hills.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: HotRodDave] #3115796
01/23/23 08:37 PM
01/23/23 08:37 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Doesn't the contract between Chrysler and Cummins for the Ram diesel motor run out at the end of 2025, or did that change? The last I heard was Ford bought the Cummins contract for 2026. If all that still stands, Ram will pretty much be out of the diesel truck market by then, they sure haven't said anything about having a new diesel motor to replace the Cummins. Gas or EV might be the only options Ram has.

Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: poorboy] #3115818
01/23/23 09:39 PM
01/23/23 09:39 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Just like cigarette manufacturers had to put the disclaimer on cigarette packs that "Cigarettes are proven to cause deadly lung cancer" Electric cars should come with a disclaimer stating how impoverished victimized people risked their lives to mine the battery material. Have a picture on the side of the vehicle showing the little child of color and his pregnant mother standing in an ankle deep chemical brine- mining the metals used to make that vehicles battery.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: poorboy] #3115845
01/23/23 11:13 PM
01/23/23 11:13 PM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
super stock
Dart 500  Offline
super stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Originally Posted by poorboy
Doesn't the contract between Chrysler and Cummins for the Ram diesel motor run out at the end of 2025, or did that change? The last I heard was Ford bought the Cummins contract for 2026. If all that still stands, Ram will pretty much be out of the diesel truck market by then, they sure haven't said anything about having a new diesel motor to replace the Cummins. Gas or EV might be the only options Ram has.

Doubt it, Ford has a very good 6.7L diesel they developed themselves after the International 6.0L and 6.4L fiasco and I dont see them tossing it aside for an engine from another supplier. The last rumor I heard was cummins is developing a gasoline engine, but no idea who or what its intended for. They're also knee deep in the hydrogen and electric stuff too.

https://www.utvdriver.com/story/news/cummins-announces-6-7-liter-fuel-agnostic-engine/

Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: Dart 500] #3115864
01/24/23 02:07 AM
01/24/23 02:07 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by Dart 500
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Problem none of the evs have solved yet is charging time. I also really haven’t seen range improve that much in the last few years. Most are stuck around the 300 mile range.

And you wont until solid state batteries (used in pace makers) come out. They're working on them and I think Toyota has one coming out in a year, I dont think its a real solid state though. Stellantis is working on them as well. They charge very fast, weight next to nothing and dont catch fire. You can also add a zero to the range over lithium.

It’s been about a year since I saw a company called solid power touting what they can do with those batteries. Stock is approaching zero today. Even after the market run up this month. I’ve been hearing talk about how awesome all these evs are for at least ten years. Still can’t take a long drive in one and accomplish what I can do with my full size suv. Still no electric semis going up the huge hill on the interstate not far from here. That will require an on board nuclear reactor.

I want my fair share
Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: 360view] #3115904
01/24/23 07:44 AM
01/24/23 07:44 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
What I have read about the new EPA future emissions NOx requirements
leads me to conclude that no gasoline, diesel fuel, propane or methane internal combustion engine can meet them.

A hydrogen powered internal combustion engine might, but even that is iffy, without DEF injection.

Vehicles are hit with this NOx limitation,
but fixed nitrogen agricultural fertilizer Urea can be legally applied on ground in a nearly unlimited manner,
and that releases NOx into the planet’s same air.

Is sauce for the goose also sauce for the gander?

Not at the EPA.

Science it is not.

I spent 6 years thinking literally half my waking hours about fuel cell science funded by a US Department of Energy grant.
(during sleep part of my brain must have continued pondering Gibbs energy)

The trailer behind your EV to extend its highway range
to be future NOx legal
likely must have a hydrogen/pure oxygen fueled fuel cell,
which were on Apollo spacecraft.

Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: cudaman1969] #3115941
01/24/23 09:47 AM
01/24/23 09:47 AM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
As it has always been in the auto industry, someone has to have big enough balls to stand up to the "current" trend. As soon as one displays the courage to stand up for what appears to be right, soon others join them.
It appears this time Gm is the one with the big balls. It will be interesting to see how many join them by the new car production time. The real hand writing will be on the wall 2 months into the new production year. Those that are unable to adjust in which ever direction the correct answer lays may be in for a really bad year.

As it stands right now, I'd be betting against the current direction things appear to be going. It sounds to me like most of you agree with me.

I think BMW may have been first, they said a month or so ago that they will not be building cars according to politics. Lets face it, thing could be completely flipped in very short order and none of these companies are going to bankrupt themselves chasing hopes and dreams of politicians that have no idea whats involved.

BMW is not the first. Or even GM. Toyota has been saying for years that EVs are not the end all, be all.

www.thedrive.com/news/41127/toyota-still-wont-go-all-in-on-electric-cars

Anyone with a brain knows EV cars right now are NOT the answer

Careful...this might get political when talking about lack of brains.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: GM isn't done with V8s just yet....... [Re: Dart 500] #3116025
01/24/23 01:58 PM
01/24/23 01:58 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.

Doubt it, Ford has a very good 6.7L diesel they developed themselves after the International 6.0L and 6.4L fiasco and I dont see them tossing it aside for an engine from another supplier. The last rumor I heard was cummins is developing a gasoline engine, but no idea who or what its intended for. They're also knee deep in the hydrogen and electric stuff too.

https://www.utvdriver.com/story/news/cummins-announces-6-7-liter-fuel-agnostic-engine/

There have been rumors going strong every year for over 24 years that I can remember (when I first started at a dodge dealer those rumors were already going around), it ain't gonna happen, dodge will re-sign a deal with cummins just like they keep doing. Maybe cummins starts the rumor to tighten the screws on dodge? Most likely ford fanboys dreaming...

The ferd 6.7 isn't that great when you count all the costs associated with keeping it running but let the ferd guys keep thinking it is.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Page 2 of 2 1 2