North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
Originally Posted By therocks
I doubt its the starter.My 440 with 2 inch TTIs and a at least 15 year old reman from Advance cranks like a /6 My kids 413 with big headrs and a 440 Source did as well.My starter is right next to the headers.Look at battery,cables I run 1 gauge.We used mostkly Advance remans at work AZ not as much but really didnt have many problems.Ill bet you cables are the wimpy OE style or old.Seems people wont upgrade them.I can run my 12.5 440 all day and it still starts fine.Remember on batterys and cables bigger is better.Ohy starter is for a 99 360 Ram.There are at least 2 and one is not as heavy as the other.The 360 is the big one for sure.Rocky

iagree His problem is not the starter. It could be a poor connection, poor wires, poor battery or dying voltage regulator. On my 440 when the regulator went bad it would start up great when cold but slow when hot just like the op said his does. I also thought the problem was heat, headers, and a junkyard mini starter. New VR and problem solved. BTW, problem did not show up on the ammeter.

I find it very unlikely a bad VR would cause this. During cranking, the alternator (and hence VR) has little to do with anything....its 99% battery voltage until the motor starts. If the VR was bad the alternator output may be out of whack (which it isn't 13.8V hot). I also don't see if a VR was bad , how it wouldn't show up on the ammeter. shruggy Even so, I had another VR on this car for a time and the issue was still present.

I would find it more likely to be a bad/undersized cable then a charging system issue. The battery is pretty much new and has given me no indications on being bad.

I don't mind stepping up to a heavier duty cable but nobody seems to make them for my car and I don't want a generic cable spliced in all over.

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: 383man] #2021073
02/28/16 01:34 AM
02/28/16 01:34 AM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:
I have a Power Master starter on my 63 thats been on it since 2006 and has never given a problem. On all my other cars including the 400 in my sons Dart I use the Mopar starters. The one on my sons Dart is listed for the V/6 (3.9) truck eng and has been on it since 1997 and never had a problem. But I also agree with Doug & Gus as you have to test the system out and see what the problem is. The voltage drop test is a very good test for the starter system in finding bad cables or connections.

I wish I could do a voltage drop test along the cable but no way I can get a probe on the starter terminal with hot headers. Aren't the terminals on your mini-starters up against the block basically? I can't even get the terminals on/off the starter without pulling the starter first and rotating it.

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2021190
02/28/16 12:11 PM
02/28/16 12:11 PM
NC, USA
D
davenc Offline
mopar
davenc  Offline
mopar
D

NC, USA
Probing for voltage does not require any current handling, so put a ring terminal on some 16ga wire that is long enough to get one end out safely away from the heaters and somewhere convenient where you can then put connect to the probe on the meter. Of course the ring terminal will need to be mounted on the starter stud. Tape up the free end while warming up the vehicle.

Last edited by davenc; 02/28/16 12:11 PM.
Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2021210
02/28/16 12:52 PM
02/28/16 12:52 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
Some terminals are close.Mine were so I trimmed some off of them.Its still encased with the headers.I can still get a alligator type clip on mine.Its tough but can be done.Rocky

Last edited by therocks; 02/28/16 12:52 PM.

Chrysler Firepower
Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2021365
02/28/16 04:19 PM
02/28/16 04:19 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
**UPDATE**

I took the car out for a 15 minute drive and got it pretty warmed up. I parked it and did some testing. During the hard start condition, I did the following:

Measure voltage across the battery during cranking with a remote starter so ignition disabled. Battery voltage was 13V (fully charged), and when I fired it, voltage dived (expected) and recovered at 11.4-11.0V during about 3-4 seconds of cranking. I would note that during this time, the starter began slow and then sped up to almost normal.

One thing I did notice that seems to be making this marginal situation worse is my electric fans. These are tied to the ignition circuit so when the car is hot enough to have the fans engaged, I have a 20 amp draw and .5-.8V drop with the car off.

Where as the started turned over slower (but fast enough to start the motor) with the fans off, the fans on seem to push it over the edge. I know these newer starters take less current than the old style starters but are sensitive to inadequate voltage.

I may need to wire a toggle switch in series with the sender unit so I could disable the fans, if need be.

I still have a slow-ish start so the fans aren't totally my problem but it is making this worse for sure.

Aside from the fans issue, does the battery voltage during cranking seem in-line with what you would expect?

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2021521
02/28/16 09:50 PM
02/28/16 09:50 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Put an oil pressure switch in the ground side of the relay's coil circuit. This will keep the fans from coming on till the engine has oil pressure and you're less like to forget to turn it on as it's automatic.

Again, I reiterate, the contacts inside the starter are likely the culprit. I linked to a replacement set above. Cheaper than a new starter.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: Supercuda] #2021575
02/28/16 11:30 PM
02/28/16 11:30 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Originally Posted By Supercuda
Put an oil pressure switch in the ground side of the relay's coil circuit. This will keep the fans from coming on till the engine has oil pressure and you're less like to forget to turn it on as it's automatic.

Again, I reiterate, the contacts inside the starter are likely the culprit. I linked to a replacement set above. Cheaper than a new starter.

I have been working with Denso starters for over 30 years and I can tell from the symptoms it has NOTHING to do with the contacts. The starter would click and not start every time. His car is cranking slow so the contacts are completing the circuit like they are designed to do.
As far as the OP's thought on heat soak I have seen these starters so hot the decal melts off and they still start the car. I run an 11" flywheel and the starter in my Savoy is actually almost against the starter and it cranks perfect.

Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2021707
02/29/16 03:37 AM
02/29/16 03:37 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Originally Posted By cjskotni
Quote:
I have a Power Master starter on my 63 thats been on it since 2006 and has never given a problem. On all my other cars including the 400 in my sons Dart I use the Mopar starters. The one on my sons Dart is listed for the V/6 (3.9) truck eng and has been on it since 1997 and never had a problem. But I also agree with Doug & Gus as you have to test the system out and see what the problem is. The voltage drop test is a very good test for the starter system in finding bad cables or connections.

I wish I could do a voltage drop test along the cable but no way I can get a probe on the starter terminal with hot headers. Aren't the terminals on your mini-starters up against the block basically? I can't even get the terminals on/off the starter without pulling the starter first and rotating it.

I removed the terminal block on my starter and I have plenty of room to get at it on my 63 as you can see it has alot of room on the drivers side. I can go right between the header tubes and get on the starter terminals. But I am lucky to have the room as you may not as you have stated. The 11 volts while cranking is good but you said it dropped more then that first and then came back to 11 or so volts. I would want to see the starter draw when it first drops and when its cranking showing 11 volts. I have seen starters with worn bushings do that where on the hit of the key they drag at first and then once they turn some they will center some in the bushings and crank better. From what you said it sounds like it could be in the starter but you can tell more if you see the starter amp draw at first hit and while its cranking. If it draws way to many amps at the hit it I would suspect starter dragging causing to much draw. And if any way to get to the starter terminal where you put the voltmeter positive on the battery positive post and the voltmeter neg on the starter hot 12 volt feed terminal and should have no more then .5 volt drop when cranking. I have seen them as high as 7 volts with a bad cable or connection. Is there any way you can put a 1 to 2 ft jumper wire on the starter hot stud when the eng is cold and leave it on there and put the other end of the jumper off to the side but insulated so it dont short to ground so that when its hot you could just hook your voltmeter to the jumper wire so you dont have to get around the hot header ?? Then do a voltage drop test also when hot. The voltage drop test and the starter draw test will tell you a ton about the starter circuit. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 02/29/16 03:40 AM.
Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2021781
02/29/16 11:15 AM
02/29/16 11:15 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Quote:
Ill bet you cables are the wimpy OE style or old.Seems people wont upgrade them.

They are reproduction but they are definitely not oversized. I'm guessing 2 or 4 gauge. I wouldn't mind a fatter set but I don't know where to find ones that fit my car.

Anybody here make these for a 1973 Charger BB? I also had to have the leads that went to the starter lengthened by 6" to give enough length to get to the terminals on the back of the mini-starter and get around the headers.

Anybody here make these to spec?

you mentioned lengthening the leads to the starter by 6". how was this accomplished, what ga. wire and terminals was used for this, and do you have any pics how this was done/routed ? possibly something here to investigate.
beer

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2021791
02/29/16 12:01 PM
02/29/16 12:01 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
I doubt its the starter.My 440 with 2 inch TTIs and a at least 15 year old reman from Advance cranks like a /6 My kids 413 with big headrs and a 440 Source did as well.My starter is right next to the headers.Look at battery,cables I run 1 gauge.We used mostkly Advance remans at work AZ not as much but really didnt have many problems.Ill bet you cables are the wimpy OE style or old.Seems people wont upgrade them.I can run my 12.5 440 all day and it still starts fine.Remember on batterys and cables bigger is better.Ohy starter is for a 99 360 Ram.There are at least 2 and one is not as heavy as the other.The 360 is the big one for sure.Rocky

iagree His problem is not the starter. It could be a poor connection, poor wires, poor battery or dying voltage regulator. On my 440 when the regulator went bad it would start up great when cold but slow when hot just like the op said his does. I also thought the problem was heat, headers, and a junkyard mini starter. New VR and problem solved. BTW, problem did not show up on the ammeter.

I find it very unlikely a bad VR would cause this. During cranking, the alternator (and hence VR) has little to do with anything....its 99% battery voltage until the motor starts. If the VR was bad the alternator output may be out of whack (which it isn't 13.8V hot). I also don't see if a VR was bad , how it wouldn't show up on the ammeter. shruggy Even so, I had another VR on this car for a time and the issue was still present.

I would find it more likely to be a bad/undersized cable then a charging system issue. The battery is pretty much new and has given me no indications on being bad.

I don't mind stepping up to a heavier duty cable but nobody seems to make them for my car and I don't want a generic cable spliced in all over.

The ammeter reads current, not voltage. Voltage can drop even if current stays high. Without enough of both when running, your battery won't fully charge. Add to that the engine is easier to turn over cold than when hot. Also, like stated by others, a bad ground, poor connection or corroded wires can cut your voltage at the battery or starter.

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #2022156
02/29/16 10:25 PM
02/29/16 10:25 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:
The ammeter reads current, not voltage. Voltage can drop even if current stays high

If the VR failed open and the alternator was allowed to overcharge 15+V, that would show up as a constant charge on the ammeter. Obviously if it failed closed and kept the alternator from charging enough (below 12.5V), the ammeter would show a constant discharge most likely.

Yeah voltage can drop and you can have lots of current, in the wrong direction (from the battery). Either way the ammeter tells me this.

BTW I had the cable custom made so it's not spliced together to achieve the 6" extension. The leads are 4/10 ga if I had to guess...whatever the factory used. Cables aren't corroded and grounds are fine. The starter grounds to the block I would assume and I have a 4ga neg cable that goes to one of the A/C compressor brackets on the WP housing. It's aluminum, not painted, and free of corrosion.

Last edited by cjskotni; 02/29/16 10:35 PM.
Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2022192
02/29/16 11:00 PM
02/29/16 11:00 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I had a slow crank hot situation on a 496 with a Denso starter. Battery in trunk originally using the car chassis as the ground/negative cable. Adding a dedicated 1 gauge ground wire from battery to block helped a lot.

Heat does slow the minis down but as many have said, with heavy cables and a good battery they usually get it done.

One option for the cables is to make your own. NAPA has all the stuff... heavy wire, ends, heat shrink. I crimp the connections as best I can, heat with a propane torch then feed in rosin core solder until the crimp is full. When cool, slip the heat shrink over the connection and warm it up. Done, neat looking and functional.

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2022236
02/29/16 11:52 PM
02/29/16 11:52 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Summit has 2ga premade wires I may be able to work with. Would that be enough extra capacity over a 4ga to make a difference?

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #2022254
03/01/16 12:14 AM
03/01/16 12:14 AM
Indiana
P
Pentastar440 Offline
mopar
Pentastar440  Offline
mopar
P

Indiana

I also agree the problem is not the starter, your cables are either too small or you need a better ground cable. Is your battery located in the trunk ?

'65 Belvedere II - 446-Indy,727 transbrake,Dana 4.56

'38 Plymouth 4Dr - 408SixPack, A518, Dana60 4:10
Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: Pentastar440] #2022276
03/01/16 12:41 AM
03/01/16 12:41 AM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:
Is your battery located in the trunk ?

Nope. Battery sits in the tray right where the factory put it.

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2022330
03/01/16 01:21 AM
03/01/16 01:21 AM
Indiana
P
Pentastar440 Offline
mopar
Pentastar440  Offline
mopar
P

Indiana
Double check your cables and the terminal ends. You may have a corroded cable? Make sure that your engine and battery are grounded good to the frame. Redundant grounds are good, you can't have too many grounds. Check the connections at the starter relay,and make sure the connections are good at the starter.

'65 Belvedere II - 446-Indy,727 transbrake,Dana 4.56

'38 Plymouth 4Dr - 408SixPack, A518, Dana60 4:10
Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2022351
03/01/16 01:55 AM
03/01/16 01:55 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
When we were running the dirt track car, we had a single 0 copper strand welding cable with both ends soldered and shrink wrapped for both battery cables. We never had a heat sink issue. A 4g battery cable is too small in my opinion. I have #2 gauge cables on my V6.

Auto Zone should be able to test your voltage drop and amp draw on your car at their store.

A hot crank and start of a big cube motor needs all the battery voltage available. Isolate those cooling fans during engine cranking, grounding the fan relay through the op sending unit so the fans only run when the motor is running is a great idea. I was never happy to hear fans running 7 minutes after I shut the car off, they pull a lot of voltage out of a resting battery. Voltage needed to start the motor. Gene

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: poorboy] #2022353
03/01/16 02:00 AM
03/01/16 02:00 AM
-
R
RSNOMO Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
RSNOMO  Offline
Moparts Torchbearer
R

-
Originally Posted By poorboy
Isolate those cooling fans during engine cranking

Yes...

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2022464
03/01/16 11:15 AM
03/01/16 11:15 AM
Greer, SC
TooMany62s Offline
top fuel
TooMany62s  Offline
top fuel

Greer, SC
Try taking a few degrees of timing out of it and see what happens.....

Re: Mini-starter and heat soak - WTD? [Re: cjskotni] #2022489
03/01/16 11:49 AM
03/01/16 11:49 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:
The ammeter reads current, not voltage. Voltage can drop even if current stays high

If the VR failed open and the alternator was allowed to overcharge 15+V, that would show up as a constant charge on the ammeter. Obviously if it failed closed and kept the alternator from charging enough (below 12.5V), the ammeter would show a constant discharge most likely.

Yeah voltage can drop and you can have lots of current, in the wrong direction (from the battery). Either way the ammeter tells me this.

BTW I had the cable custom made so it's not spliced together to achieve the 6" extension. The leads are 4/10 ga if I had to guess...whatever the factory used. Cables aren't corroded and grounds are fine. The starter grounds to the block I would assume and I have a 4ga neg cable that goes to one of the A/C compressor brackets on the WP housing. It's aluminum, not painted, and free of corrosion.

Or it could be like mine, show nothing unusual on the ammeter and not fully charge the battery. Also, 4 gauge cables are vastly undersized for power and ground. We have 4 gauge wire here at the shop and the only thing we use it for is wiring in 1500w power inverters.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4