Sac, CA, USA
N
ntstlgl1970 Offline
mopar
ntstlgl1970  Offline
mopar
N

Sac, CA, USA
I think it's important to separate the booster vs. the brakes. hydroboost doesn't do anything to make the car stop better. It's just a different form of power assist. Adding hydroboost to your stock brakes will only affect how much pedal pressure input is needed to stop the car, not the distance it takes to stop the car or the resistance to brake fade.

Last edited by ntstlgl1970; 03/07/15 02:42 AM.
Re: Hydroboost on "stock-ish" brakes? [Re: Brian] #1771969
03/07/15 01:16 PM
03/07/15 01:16 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

It’s always amazed me how we attack each other on Moparts when we don’t agree. I understand Peter to say that if you’re going to road race, you need a brake system to support that specific type of driving. I get that and I’m building as much braking capacity into my Duster that I can afford. I do want to be able to “haul down” from 120Mph+ as quickly as possible.

An autocross cannot be compared to a road course; they are two different animals. Does everyone large need 4-wheel disc brakes and a hydro-boost? No they don’t, pick what works for your style of driving.

Go back and reread the OP's question.

The tell me how either your post or Pete's is relevant.

Well?

Pete's answers always involves cubic dollars and if you offer an alternative it's always followed by a belittling post about your choice not being "real" or "modern". You'd think he sells the crap.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Hydroboost on "stock-ish" brakes? [Re: Supercuda] #1771970
03/07/15 03:34 PM
03/07/15 03:34 PM
Woodinville, WA
Viol8r Offline
super stock
Viol8r  Offline
super stock

Woodinville, WA
Quote:

Quote:

It’s always amazed me how we attack each other on Moparts when we don’t agree. I understand Peter to say that if you’re going to road race, you need a brake system to support that specific type of driving. I get that and I’m building as much braking capacity into my Duster that I can afford. I do want to be able to “haul down” from 120Mph+ as quickly as possible.

An autocross cannot be compared to a road course; they are two different animals. Does everyone large need 4-wheel disc brakes and a hydro-boost? No they don’t, pick what works for your style of driving.

Go back and reread the OP's question.

The tell me how either your post or Pete's is relevant.

Well?

Pete's answers always involves cubic dollars and if you offer an alternative it's always followed by a belittling post about your choice not being "real" or "modern". You'd think he sells the crap.

Supercuda, we got it. Just remember this area is for people interested in thinking outside the box a little, and maybe trying something other then manual brakes or manual steering. It's all about the application. Not saying it does not work for what you have experienced.

I run hydraboost as we put the car through many different situations. USCA Thunderhill last weekend was awesome and we love the system for that. Granted we run bigger brakes and I am used to it. But I have also blown seals out of stock type calipers with hydraboost.

For the OP. No real need for it in your case. Unless you are running a big motor and want to ensure no vacuum loss under braking. It does feel different, but to me all it feels like is what you get with a newer car. Just a bit less effort for braking and a consistent feel.

1968 Pro-Touring Dodge Charger
*2011 Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge Invitee
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html
Re: Hydroboost on "stock-ish" brakes? [Re: Viol8r] #1771971
03/07/15 04:17 PM
03/07/15 04:17 PM
Sorrento, BC, Canada
4speeds4me Offline OP
master
4speeds4me  Offline OP
master

Sorrento, BC, Canada
So, all disagreements aside, spending some time researching to get a good quality pad, and sizing the master and wheel cylinders correctly, I will likely be happy enough with the current system.

I never really had reason to complain about the abilities of my manual drum 69 B-body to do what I needed on a daily basis, so I am more comfortable that I can get it done with decent size discs and drums...

2 Demons...no, not my kids!
Re: Hydroboost on "stock-ish" brakes? [Re: 4speeds4me] #1771972
03/07/15 08:19 PM
03/07/15 08:19 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I like manual because of its simplicity and light weight. I have never lacked braking with a 15/16" master. I think getting the right combo here is critical to its effectiveness. The hydroboost setups are a great setup but I really think in my case I would have to re-learn how to drive my car if I had it. Some people cant drive without them, some people have tried them and went back to manual too. Its what YOU like in YOUR car that matters.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Hydroboost on "stock-ish" brakes? [Re: Supercuda] #1771973
03/08/15 01:07 AM
03/08/15 01:07 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I'm looking at Tom's Valiant and unless I missed he's running stock A body discs up front and Mustang rear discs out back and killing lots of "modern" iron.

I guess if I ever plan to hit the Silver State Challenge or try to beat my personal banzai run from San Diego to Tucson's time (4.5 hours to cover 400 miles) I don't need much bigger than I have.

That's on a autocross course that is lower speeds and last under ONE minute.

Tom has express concern with going out on a road course track day with those brakes.

I run those 11.75 on a road course and they do heat up, fade, and get a little spongy. I'm just careful and brake early. I'm sure simple brake ducts would help. As would pad compound (limited availability).

I think it's fine for getting started. At some speed/lap times/skill a brake upgrade will lower lap times.

Re: Hydroboost on "stock-ish" brakes? [Re: autoxcuda] #1771974
03/09/15 12:12 PM
03/09/15 12:12 PM
1974Cuda360 Offline
1974Cuda360  Offline

I've had some good experience with Hydroboost brakes. Many years ago I had a 1986 5.0 Mustang. If you are familiar with Mustangs of that time, you know they didn't stop very well from the factory. To improve braking, I purchased a rear disc brake kit eliminating the drum brakes. The brake kit adapted rear disc brakes from the Thunderbird. I was very disappointed that there was no improvement in the brakes at all. So, I continued using the vehicle with unimpressive brakes.

Several years later, I read an article about adapting Hydroboost braking components from a non-ABS Lincoln LSC onto the Mustang. I got the components from a junkyard and had my mechanic install them on my Mustang. And, I couldn't have been happier with the results. There was a huge noticeable difference in braking. The brake pedal felt better and more consistent than with the vacuum brake booster. And, stopping power was noticeably improved. In fact, I would say the stopping power dramatically improved. Although the brake pads, calibers and all other braking components were the same, the Hydroboost set up increased line pressure which increased the amount of force squeezing the calipers together.

I have no experience with hydroboost brakes on a Mopar, but I plan on switching from a vacuum brake booster to hydroboost set up as soon as my budget allows. In my opinion, the feel of a brake pedal on a hydroboost set up is more consistent and predictable than the pedal feel of a vacuum brakes booster. Vacuum booster brakes can feel spongy sometimes and this is never the case with a hydroboost set up. If I remember correctly, a vacuum brake booster operates anywhere between 800 psi and 1100 psi and a hydroboost brake set up is between 1200 psi and 1500 psi. On the road, this means that you use less brake pedal effort to increase braking force to your calipers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2