IL
E
EchoSixMike Offline
mopar
EchoSixMike  Offline
mopar
E

IL
Meh, all depends on the rules. The rules are typically just made to balance things and keep butts in the stands. IOW, it's all bunk and rules lawyering. But that's the way racing is. It's all about the rules, then the engineering begins from there. I think that's weak, but I'm not sponsoring races.

For X cubic inches, a turbo hemi will win in the 1/4, period. Very slightly behind that would be a hemi with a screw; the screw will probably own in the 1/8. The other things are kept competitive by weight breaks and other handicaps; ie rules lawyering. That's just what it is, you want to race, you play by their rules.

Monte is just doing what it takes to win. More power to him. People shouldn't get butt-hurt about the racer, they should get after the rules makers. S/F.....Ken M

Last edited by EchoSixMike; 07/31/14 02:32 PM.
Re: Attn Steff [Re: EchoSixMike] #1652842
07/31/14 04:46 PM
07/31/14 04:46 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Meh, all depends on the rules. The rules are typically just made to balance things and keep butts in the stands. IOW, it's all bunk and rules lawyering. But that's the way racing is. It's all about the rules, then the engineering begins from there. I think that's weak, but I'm not sponsoring races.

For X cubic inches, a turbo hemi will win in the 1/4, period. Very slightly behind that would be a hemi with a screw; the screw will probably own in the 1/8. The other things are kept competitive by weight breaks and other handicaps; ie rules lawyering. That's just what it is, you want to race, you play by their rules.

Monte is just doing what it takes to win. More power to him. People shouldn't get butt-hurt about the racer, they should get after the rules makers. S/F.....Ken M

Your talking to a person who doesnt even race let along
know anything about what the rules might say.. he just
likes to stir the pot

Re: Attn Steff [Re: ] #1652843
07/31/14 07:16 PM
07/31/14 07:16 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline OP
master
Monte_Smith  Offline OP
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte.....good luck, all I can say when I read your posts on here.....you are a glutton for punishment....LMAO !

You should know by now........haters don't bother me man.......LOL.........they hatin on me they just giving somebody else a break. They are just faceless words typed on a screen.......don't mean nothing to me..........LOL!!!

I also don't do anything for anyone elses approval. I do things to reach MY goals and what I want to accomplish. If others don't share that view.......that's cool, doesn't bother me

Monte

My opinion is I think it is cool that you are keeping the GTX body stlye for a car that will be very fast if you run it in the 1/4 and will surely be giving up a lot in aero drag at the far end. Not as much in the 1/8 but at 150 MPH it is still significant. That thing is no where near "egg shaped" like the modern cars.

That is the puzzling part....if you are going to every extent to be as fast as possible, why use a 69 Plymouth body skin ?? And trying/expecting to make money at racing ???

This is 1/8th mile, no rules racing. The aero loss in the 1/8th is a non factor. Also how light would YOU think a 69 B-body would be. My guess is not very and I will hope that most others feel the same way.......Plus, the number ONE reason I am using the GTX, is because I HAVE the car, it has a 25.2 spec moly chassis under it and is 95% complete. I have every part to make it a complete roller. I don't have a motor, but that problem is solved, so we can be up and racing in a few months, not a year or more from now. Grudge racing is hot right now, so the sooner you get in, the better chance you have.

My thoughts on a Predator motor.........If they made the head in a 4.840 or 5.0 bore space, I would own one. On a 4.800 bore space.......I will pass. The small bore that you are limited to just kills a good head. The greatest head in the world won't breathe if the hole underneath pulling on it is too small.

I can slap some Mopar stickers on the valve covers and tell everyone they are old "Eicke Pro-Stock heads"...........how does everybody feel about that..........LOL!!!

See that is the thing about SOME of the "fickle" Mopar guys. When our Pro-stockers were running the GM type Eicke head on a GM type block, they were all cool with THAT, but those same guys say a Predator is not a real Mopar head because it doesn't LOOK like a Mopar head.

And yes, the motor that will be in the car is GM based, but it does NOT have a single GM part on it. It is an all alum aftermarket race engine, that kinda sorta looks like a Chevy, although no heads even resembling that ever left a GM factory............Just like no parts remotely resembling our(Mopar) current Pro-Stock heads and blocks did either. Oh but wait........the wires go in the covers, that makes it OK..........LOL!!!

And Ray, I would also MUCH RATHER have Mopar power, just don't know where to get what I need. It's easy for these guys to tell me I need a HEMI with twins, or a HEMI with a screw, but they ain't the ones that have to pay for it. And if somebody SHOWS me a Mopar wedge, that inch for inch, will outpower this motor I have and swallow the same amount of spray and LIVE.......I will buy one. Unfortunately on that fact, I know my money is safe.

Monte

Re: Attn Steff [Re: Monte_Smith] #1652844
07/31/14 07:27 PM
07/31/14 07:27 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Quote:

I can slap some Mopar stickers on the valve covers and tell everyone they are old "Eicke Pro-Stock heads"...........how does everybody feel about that..........LOL!!!

That was a very dark time in the Mopar pro stock world, better it would just be forgotten. You know, let sleeping dogs lie...

Yes it was a very dark time...

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Attn Steff [Re: Guitar Jones] #1652845
07/31/14 07:40 PM
07/31/14 07:40 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

That was a very dark time in the Mopar pro stock world, better it would just be forgotten. You know, let sleeping dogs lie...

Yes it was a very dark time...

Monte, you get a pass from me all the way man. I dont get all bent out of shape about that stuff anymore, and when a Shivvy or Dorf guy starts to rib me to hard I just tell them "hey what engine has been ruling every 1/4 mile in every corner of the globe for the last 50 years?" yep thats what I thought. They can paint it pink and write "BOSS" on it all they want, it is what it is....

8225961-snake24.jpg (117 downloads)
Last edited by 72Swinger; 07/31/14 07:43 PM.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Attn Steff [Re: Monte_Smith] #1652846
07/31/14 08:25 PM
07/31/14 08:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My thoughts on a Predator motor.........If they made the head in a 4.840 or 5.0 bore space, I would own one. On a 4.800 bore space.......I will pass.

....but those same guys say a Predator is not a real Mopar head because it doesn't LOOK like a Mopar head.

Monte

Not trying to start a war, just expressing my opinions.....

It gets beat to death how Mopar guys won't embrace new stuff, YET the same guys that rant about this will NOT even buy the current offerings.......but they still rant about others not buying them....

And in all the threads where it is repeated ad nauseam about all these Mopar guys that bash the Predator over what it LOOKS like...I have Never seen one of those guys post in these threads....yet it gets repeated over and over.....Just because One or Two guys said they didn't like what it LOOKS like a few years ago, it's taken on a life of it's own......

Then the guys who think they are above everyone one else and/or their minions....take that and run with it and start in with mocking all Mopar guys with the purple shaft cam, 906 head cracks....

And the real irony, is that the deciding factor here seems to be having the use of a FREE EFI Nitrous Engine that he has experience tuning....so anything else is out of the question anyway.......it's not as if kb made a 4.84 Block, and Indy whipped up some 4.84 Predators he would be going that route anyway, because they wouldn't be Free....

Re: Attn Steff [Re: ] #1652847
07/31/14 08:48 PM
07/31/14 08:48 PM
New Brunswick, Canada
T
TrxR Offline
super stock
TrxR  Offline
super stock
T

New Brunswick, Canada
It sure would be nice to see someone make a larger bore spacing Mopar block.

Re: Attn Steff [Re: ] #1652848
07/31/14 08:51 PM
07/31/14 08:51 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts on a Predator motor.........If they made the head in a 4.840 or 5.0 bore space, I would own one. On a 4.800 bore space.......I will pass.

....but those same guys say a Predator is not a real Mopar head because it doesn't LOOK like a Mopar head.

Monte

Not trying to start a war, just expressing my opinions.....

It gets beat to death how Mopar guys won't embrace new stuff, YET the same guys that rant about this will NOT even buy the current offerings.......but they still rant about others not buying them....

And in all the threads where it is repeated ad nauseam about all these Mopar guys that bash the Predator over what it LOOKS like...I have Never seen one of those guys post in these threads....yet it gets repeated over and over.....Just because One or Two guys said they didn't like what it LOOKS like a few years ago, it's taken on a life of it's own......

Then the guys who think they are above everyone one else and/or their minions....take that and run with it and start in with mocking all Mopar guys with the purple shaft cam, 906 head cracks....

And the real irony, is that the deciding factor here seems to be having the use of a FREE EFI Nitrous Engine that he has experience tuning....so anything else is out of the question anyway.......it's not as if kb made a 4.84 Block, and Indy whipped up some 4.84 Predators he would be going that route anyway, because they wouldn't be Free....

and what exactly do YOU have to run, besides your mouth/keyboard?

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: Attn Steff [Re: TrxR] #1652849
07/31/14 08:52 PM
07/31/14 08:52 PM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
Monte, not sure if it would be good for the power adder deal, but did you ever consider the 5.0" bore space Mopar Pro Stock stuff? Probably find some old IHRA stuff on the cheap, relatively speaking of course.

Re: Attn Steff [Re: Monte_Smith] #1652850
07/31/14 09:06 PM
07/31/14 09:06 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
All I have to say is: Monte I Love reading your posts and learning...Thank You...

Rickster

Re: Attn Steff [Re: Monte_Smith] #1652851
07/31/14 09:12 PM
07/31/14 09:12 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Monte.. I can understand what your doing... trying
to get into the game as soon as possible with the best
bang for the buck... good luck

Re: Attn Steff [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1652852
07/31/14 09:28 PM
07/31/14 09:28 PM
IL
E
EchoSixMike Offline
mopar
EchoSixMike  Offline
mopar
E

IL
I'm kinda curious why a hemi head doesn't cut it for nitrous motors? I'm assuming we're talking gas for fuel, not methanol/ethanol, right? S/F....Ken M

Re: Attn Steff [Re: ] #1652853
07/31/14 09:50 PM
07/31/14 09:50 PM
NC
S
SLOW67 Offline
super stock
SLOW67  Offline
super stock
S

NC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have a feeling this will be a game changer for the way people do fast mopars. Can'twait to ssee the finished product.... or even the current state

Looks like your "feeling" was wrong....unfortunately

Not really. I was thinking more along the lines of chassis work. I don't care what powers it, I leave that to guys like you

You really think he is going to have some "game changing" chassis mods that will change "the way people do fast Mopars" ??

Sounds to me like he is using one of the old/spare Chevy engines from that Buick and copying that recipe.

Since he knows what that engine/EFI/Nitrous combo needs/wants/runs I guess it's the cheapest and easiest way to go real fast.

Me personally, I would be more impressed/interested if he got the old combo to run 7.70/4.80 like he thought he could.

I am sure glad that Mopar, the Ramchargers, Landy etc. didn't take the already proven/easiest/cheapest way.

If your looking to go fast and you can make 2000hp for 20k or 2000hp for 50k which one are you going to choose? At the point a Mopar engine makes that kind of power, very little if any "Mopar" parts or designs are left. Look at predator headed motors for example. My next powerplant will be an LS chevy, why? because I'm not rich and I still want the speed.

Make it FAST Monte! Can't wait to see it finished! Who gives a crap about whats under the hood

Re: Attn Steff [Re: EchoSixMike] #1652854
07/31/14 10:20 PM
07/31/14 10:20 PM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
I would imagine the chamber shape would have something to do with it

Alan Jones
Re: Attn Steff [Re: LA360] #1652855
07/31/14 10:30 PM
07/31/14 10:30 PM
australia
C
charger410 Offline
charger410  Offline
C

australia

Do Summit Racing sell them?

Peter. Australian Charger, alloy block injected 410in, w9 na 9.03@148 leafs 3000lb

1967 barracuda 605 hemi Stage5 millennium 8.2@170
Re: Attn Steff [Re: LA360] #1652856
07/31/14 10:41 PM
07/31/14 10:41 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Neighbor bought a 5.3 LS for $100.00 today.

We pulled it apart and it looked brand new inside.

A Chinese turbo and he should be good for 1000 HP.

My 440 is going in the classifieds...

Re: Attn Steff [Re: GY3] #1652857
07/31/14 10:47 PM
07/31/14 10:47 PM
North, Alabama
D-50 Offline
pro stock
D-50  Offline
pro stock

North, Alabama
Quote:

Neighbor bought a 5.3 LS for $100.00 today.

We pulled it apart and it looked brand new inside.

A Chinese turbo and he should be good for 1000 HP.

Them Chevy guys on YB say they do it all the time.They put one in a fox body mustang and run low 8's high 7's with a $2000.00 race car.

1.33 60 ft,6.21 at 110.59 in the 1/8, pump gas small block,2950lbs,drag radials,mufflers and driven to track ...
Re: Attn Steff [Re: Monte_Smith] #1652858
07/31/14 11:06 PM
07/31/14 11:06 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

This is 1/8th mile, no rules racing. The aero loss in the 1/8th is a non factor. Also how light would YOU think a 69 B-body would be. My guess is not very and I will hope that most others feel the same way.......Plus, the number ONE reason I am using the GTX, is because I HAVE the car, it has a 25.2 spec moly chassis under it and is 95% complete. I have every part to make it a complete roller. I don't have a motor, but that problem is solved, so we can be up and racing in a few months, not a year or more from now. Grudge racing is hot right now, so the sooner you get in, the better chance you have.

My thoughts on a Predator motor.........If they made the head in a 4.840 or 5.0 bore space, I would own one. On a 4.800 bore space.......I will pass. The small bore that you are limited to just kills a good head. The greatest head in the world won't breathe if the hole underneath pulling on it is too small.

See that is the thing about SOME of the "fickle" Mopar guys. When our Pro-stockers were running the GM type Eicke head on a GM type block, they were all cool with THAT, but those same guys say a Predator is not a real Mopar head because it doesn't LOOK like a Mopar head.

And yes, the motor that will be in the car is GM based, but it does NOT have a single GM part on it. It is an all alum aftermarket race engine, that kinda sorta looks like a Chevy, although no heads even resembling that ever left a GM factory............Just like no parts remotely resembling our(Mopar) current Pro-Stock heads and blocks did either. Oh but wait........the wires go in the covers, that makes it OK..........LOL!!!

And Ray, I would also MUCH RATHER have Mopar power, just don't know where to get what I need. It's easy for these guys to tell me I need a HEMI with twins, or a HEMI with a screw, but they ain't the ones that have to pay for it. And if somebody SHOWS me a Mopar wedge, that inch for inch, will outpower this motor I have and swallow the same amount of spray and LIVE.......I will buy one. Unfortunately on that fact, I know my money is safe.

Monte

Great post Monte, Really one of your best.

I'd like to think most of us have evolved in this journey through life and the sport. I'll readily admit that I was a Mopar Bible thumping, purple cam, Chrome box, super stock spring guy... "Who needs this new fangled MSD crap anyway?"

Then we learn, and adapt.

I was among those that cried fowl when the Predator first came on the scene. "E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E or it's not a real Mopar!"

Then we learn and adapt.

When the racing got so competitive that Pro Stock, Pro Mod, and NASCAR are building "Clean sheet" racing engines, I really stopped caring about who was claiming what in the engine bay. When Radford or Musi, or Harper come to town, and they are sporting 900-1000 cubic inches in a Mopar bodied race car, cool! I have no problem rooting for them.

As I stare down my 50th birthday, with a kid calling me Grandpa, what scares me is becoming that old timer that was still clinging to his flathead fords when I started out. I love BB Wedges, nitrous, and carbs... that's my comfort zone, and the desire for me to go faster than that will take me is waning pretty quickly.

I would implore Monte to get the ole GTX back out there and enjoy it in any way he see's fit. His car, his money, his dreams and desires! Keep us posted buddy, and good luck with it!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Attn Steff [Re: MoparBilly] #1652859
07/31/14 11:12 PM
07/31/14 11:12 PM
On the parachute mount
N
n20mstr Offline
master
n20mstr  Offline
master
N

On the parachute mount
Well at least we won't have to line up at Josh's race now.....traitor !

Because I thought my used b1 originals were state of the art ! !

Lmao !

Last edited by n20mstr; 07/31/14 11:14 PM.

....BAD A$$ STREET CAR.....
Re: Attn Steff [Re: n20mstr] #1652860
08/05/14 01:07 AM
08/05/14 01:07 AM
monticello,ms
andy3965 Offline
andy3965  Offline

monticello,ms
Don't know how much nitrous he is spraying but Jason Digby's 610ci predator headed motor made 1210hp and 913ft lbs of torque on motor.

MOPAR BORN,MOPAR BRED,AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE MOPAR DEAD!!!
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8