09/29/08 09:15 AM
09/29/08 09:15 AM
Midland, Tx
R
rjones Offline OP
rjones  Offline OP
R

Midland, Tx
Has anyone taken a K&N and a stock air filter of similar sizes to the track or dyno and compared them to see if the K&N really does give a performance improvement?

Thanks,

Roger

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: rjones] #129367
09/29/08 11:33 AM
09/29/08 11:33 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Only time I did was with a buddy's car. 6-71 blown Pontiac 400, at that time it was making something like 660Hp at the wheels.

He had 2 1050 carbs and some small air cleaners, only 7x3. We pulled off the filter elements and it only picked up about 7hp with no filters at all. We thought that was pretty good considering the airflow requirements, and how small the filters were.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: rjones] #129368
09/29/08 12:54 PM
09/29/08 12:54 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
No they do not flow any better than a "proper" sized paper element. It was on a hotrod TV show. I also read it in one of the car mags. From my expierence pretty much any car will run better w/ just a base plate, just depends on if you want to run w/o a filter at the track.

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: rjones] #129369
09/29/08 12:58 PM
09/29/08 12:58 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
good reading here
http://mymiata.paladinmicro.com/K&NComments.htm

best line in the artical is "Manufacturers spend vast amounts of money playing the horsepower game, while meeting CAFE requirements. If spending $20 more per vehicle would improve horsepower and efficiency they would do it--they have no motivation not to."

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #129370
09/29/08 02:14 PM
09/29/08 02:14 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
I did a road test (unintentionally) using a K&N. 1200 miles each way, same roads. Thought that I was not getting the milage I should be with my Dakota but didn't have time to stop or check things out on the way due to death in family. While in Dallas there was some time so I remove the slightly oversized K7N and installed the OEM type paper air filter. Can't quote numbers now but I do remember I used equivalant to a tank of fuel less on the homeward trip using the Paper element.
On another note some dirt friends did some filter testing on a dyno and found that a paper with the K&N flow top gave the best over the paper with a seal top or K&N either way. Both with precleaners.

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #129371
09/29/08 02:37 PM
09/29/08 02:37 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Interesting thread. There was a heated debate some time ago on one of the Cummin's diesel sites where arguably filtration is even more important due to high boost pressures and "dusting" of turbo blades, etc. and after much arguing there was a test done on a 400 + hp engine and the result of a K&N drop in vs. the stock paper was that there was zero difference in output.

That information coupled with reports of particulate on the turbo blades of trucks equipped with the K&N prompted me to remove mine and replace the factory filter. Some people swear by them and it seems to generate as much emotion as an oil thread.

YMMV

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #129372
09/29/08 03:33 PM
09/29/08 03:33 PM
Mass
dgc333 Offline
pro stock
dgc333  Offline
pro stock

Mass
Quote:

If spending $20 more per vehicle would improve horsepower and efficiency they would do it--they have no motivation not to."

That quote was made by someone that does not understand how products are designed.

Adding $20 to the cost of each vehicle is a HUGE amount of money when you are talking about 100,000 or more units being made in the course of a year. That $2 million dollars would go right to the bottom line, so of course they have a motivation not to.

All manufacturers play the game of minimizing the cost while still meeting requirements automotive or otherwise. If an engineer can meet requirements with a less costly part he is not going to spec one that costs more even if it was better or he won't have a job for long.

So if the requirement is 300 HP or the MPG is 25 and those requirements can be met with a cheaper filter then that is what is used even though a more costly part may have given you 320 HP and 30 mpg.

Now for a personal experience. I used to race dirt bikes back in the 70's. They all came from the factory with a paper air filter back then. Quite often on a 100 mile eduro in dusty conditions I would have to stop and knock the dirt off the paper filter because it would be plugged to the point of impacting the engine. I would also find a fine coating of dust down stream from the filter after one of these type outings. When the oiled foam filters started becoming availble I switched. I never had a filter plug up on a ride after that and down stream I never had the fine layer of dust after the switch either.

Dave Clement Pembroke, MA 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 99 Dakota SLT+ CC 4x4 68 Barracuda sport coupe http://home.comcast.net/~dgc333/
Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: rjones] #129373
09/29/08 04:08 PM
09/29/08 04:08 PM
Buzzard County, FL
IronWolf Offline
pro stock
IronWolf  Offline
pro stock

Buzzard County, FL
Yes, I did, an NO, it did NOT make a difference. Therefore K&N claims are BS , in my case anyhoo.

In fact running with/without an air filter did not make a difference . either.

You are not the first one to question the vendor's veracity, by the way !

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: dgc333] #129374
09/29/08 04:09 PM
09/29/08 04:09 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Quote:

If spending $20 more per vehicle would improve horsepower and efficiency they would do it--they have no motivation not to."

That quote was made by someone that does not understand how products are designed.

Adding $20 to the cost of each vehicle is a HUGE amount of money when you are talking about 100,000 or more units being made in the course of a year. That $2 million dollars would go right to the bottom line, so of course they have a motivation not to.

And as an engineer (or a knowledgable consumer) one might propose that the consumer would be willing to pay a few dollars more for a demonstratably-superior product, but the decision is still NO. The high-volume manufacturing world just does not work that way!

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: Fury Fan] #129375
09/29/08 04:20 PM
09/29/08 04:20 PM
Buzzard County, FL
IronWolf Offline
pro stock
IronWolf  Offline
pro stock

Buzzard County, FL
Correct, that's why the auto manufacturers give us $ 2 batteries and $ 4 dollar tires.

Let me weep while they go out of business . How about laying off useless executives (who keep their cakewalk jobs for 30 years despite dismal results) and cutting back on dividends ???

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: dgc333] #129376
09/29/08 07:22 PM
09/29/08 07:22 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

All manufacturers play the game of minimizing the cost while still meeting requirements automotive or otherwise. If an engineer can meet requirements with a less costly part he is not going to spec one that costs more even if it was better or he won't have a job for long.

So if the requirement is 300 HP or the MPG is 25 and those requirements can be met with a cheaper filter then that is what is used even though a more costly part may have given you 320 HP and 30 mpg.

I think you are wrong if they could sqeak out an additional 2-3 mpg and pickup an extra 5-10 ponies they would spend the extra $20...not that it would cost them anything, that would be past to the customer. I've bought and been given K&N's for my vehicles. I saw zero perfomance gains and maybe had slighty worse milage. That said I do like the idea of the K&N flow-thru lid.

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #129377
09/29/08 08:01 PM
09/29/08 08:01 PM
Mass
dgc333 Offline
pro stock
dgc333  Offline
pro stock

Mass
Having been an engineer for the past 30+ years, its always about the bucks. Reduced costs mean more profits or reduced sale price which means more market share and more profits.

Even changes to improve quality have to be justified with a cost savings (i.e., reduced scrap, rework, warranty claims, increased market share, etc).

The marketeers will define and justify horsepower and economy requirements and the engineers have to design to those goals at the lowest cost possible.

FWIW, I have since they became readily available back in the early 80's used an oiled foam or an oiled gauze filter in all my vehicles. Not because of a performance or economy improvement (but that is well come if its realized) but because its a great cost savings over the life of the car. I typically keep my daily drivers for 250,000 - 300,000 miles and an $8 filter every 10k miles adds up. Buy the K&N or other washable brand once for $40 and its paid for in the first 1 1/2 over ownership.

Last edited by dgc333; 09/29/08 08:06 PM.

Dave Clement Pembroke, MA 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 99 Dakota SLT+ CC 4x4 68 Barracuda sport coupe http://home.comcast.net/~dgc333/
Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: DPelletier] #129378
09/29/08 08:20 PM
09/29/08 08:20 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Online rolleyes
I Win
JohnRR  Online Rolleyes
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Interesting thread. There was a heated debate some time ago on one of the Cummin's diesel sites where arguably filtration is even more important due to high boost pressures and "dusting" of turbo blades, etc. and after much arguing there was a test done on a 400 + hp engine and the result of a K&N drop in vs. the stock paper was that there was zero difference in output.

That information coupled with reports of particulate on the turbo blades of trucks equipped with the K&N prompted me to remove mine and replace the factory filter. Some people swear by them and it seems to generate as much emotion as an oil thread.

YMMV

Dave

I'd like to see that test as I did a test of my own and got completly different results , though not the exact same test .

My 2000 ram with a Cummins made 377hp at the rear wheels on 3 consecutive pulls , I was running the LONG K+N cone filter that was the rage then , I had borrwed it from a friend to test it before buying one. Later that evening I put my truck back on the dyno and ran it again but this time I was down 15hp, made a couple more pulls and couldn't figure out why. Suddenly I remember I put back the stock airbox with the stock paper filter, I popped open the top of the filter housing and propped it open with the paper filter, make another pull and my lost 15HP returned , pulled it off the dyno and proceeded to twist the output shaft off the end of the OD unit.

YMMV

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: JohnRR] #129379
09/29/08 11:12 PM
09/29/08 11:12 PM
Midland, Tx
R
rjones Offline OP
rjones  Offline OP
R

Midland, Tx
This has been a fun thread. I have a wideband O2 on the car and I notice that when I am running the engine on the fast idle cam at about 1500 rpm the fuel mixture will richen about .2 when it has the air filter on it. This made me think the stock air filter might be restrictive and this is why I posted the question about the K&N. I was thinking if it was less restrictive I might pick up some power with the K&N. But now I don't think the K&N will help. I could just make some passes without any filter and this would give me a clue as to whether the air filter is a restriction.

Thanks,

Roger

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: rjones] #129380
09/29/08 11:21 PM
09/29/08 11:21 PM
Midland, Tx
R
rjones Offline OP
rjones  Offline OP
R

Midland, Tx
My 2000 ram with a Cummins made 377hp at the rear wheels on 3 consecutive pulls , I was running the LONG K+N cone filter that was the rage then , I had borrwed it from a friend to test it before buying one. Later that evening I put my truck back on the dyno and ran it again but this time I was down 15hp, made a couple more pulls and couldn't figure out why. Suddenly I remember I put back the stock airbox with the stock paper filter, I popped open the top of the filter housing and propped it open with the paper filter, make another pull and my lost 15HP returned , pulled it off the dyno and proceeded to twist the output shaft off the end of the OD unit.

Did you also have the airbox in place with the K&N filter? This could have had more to do with the increased power instead of the filter.

I have had some motorcycles that would respond with a substantial increase in power when the airbox is opened up.

Roger

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: rjones] #129381
09/29/08 11:27 PM
09/29/08 11:27 PM
Puyallup, WA
S
StealthWedge67 Offline
master
StealthWedge67  Offline
master
S

Puyallup, WA
Theres no question that a K&N type filter will out-flow a paper element per square inch of material. The question is: how much flow is required by the engine and is there enough filter area to satisfy that need. If you are using a 3" tall x 14" diameter open element paper filter. You probobly have plenty of airflow capability to satisfy your motor. Adding a K&N would be pointless in most cases, It's like pouring 8 gallons of water into a 5 gallon bucket.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120
Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: JohnRR] #129382
09/29/08 11:38 PM
09/29/08 11:38 PM
Arlington, Texas
earlybee Offline
master
earlybee  Offline
master

Arlington, Texas
Ever been to a concrete batch plant? Cement powder dust is around 1-3 microns. No where on the plant/property or in the mixer trucks or f/end loaders, are K-N filters used. They don,t work in this environment, only paper filters are used. K-N filters have to use oil to catch dust, and oil migrates with heat/gravity. Dry on top, wet on the bottom. The reason K-N flows almost as much air as no filter, is because its a bugcatcher, not a air filter. I rank K-N air filters right up there with Fram oil filters. Thats my

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: StealthWedge67] #129383
09/29/08 11:43 PM
09/29/08 11:43 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
If K&N filters made that big of a difference, the OEM would be using them. If they were buying them in bulk for their production cars, they could probably get them for $20 or less a pop. And they could easily tack that extra $10-20 onto the vehicle cost for the consumer without them even noticing.

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: rjones] #129384
09/30/08 09:20 AM
09/30/08 09:20 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Online rolleyes
I Win
JohnRR  Online Rolleyes
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Did you also have the airbox in place with the K&N filter? This could have had more to do with the increased power instead of the filter.

I have had some motorcycles that would respond with a substantial increase in power when the airbox is opened up.

Roger

No roger I didn't have the air box in place and I can't remember if this was before or after i added extra holes in the air box to get more air in it that the one hole the factory had .

your motorcycle tests tells me the air box is too small and causing a restriction in total airflow , packaing issue by the designers ...

I'm not saying that all the claims by K+N are true or false , just relating my story from what I actually did .

Re: Has anyone done this test with K&N air filters? [Re: JohnRR] #129385
09/30/08 10:54 AM
09/30/08 10:54 AM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

Quote:

YMMV

Dave

I'd like to see that test as I did a test of my own and got completly different results , though not the exact same test .

YMMV

Sorry John, that was a long time ago ( back then I spent more time on the TDR than I do on Moparts now! ) What I CAN tell you from memory is that the test I saw was for the drop-in replacement K&N vs. the stock set-up so I suspect your 15hp came from the removal of the airbox.

After spending significant time researching the subject and some very passionate arguments from both sides, I came away with the feeling that the K&N offers little to no performance advantage and that it likely has inferior filtration (especially on a turbocharged engine). Most of the other TDR members came to the same conclusion and went with what is now referred to as the BHAF (Big Honkin Air Filter) which is a large cylindrical paper filter.

People can run whatever they like, but at $10k a pop, I didn't feel like experimenting with my Cumminses.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Page 1 of 2 1 2