08/23/12 01:59 PM
08/23/12 01:59 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
In ragards to Domingos Shop and help, I'll back what Kirby said, there's no lack of talent and ability down there that's for sure!

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. [Re: Kirby] #1289121
08/23/12 02:08 PM
08/23/12 02:08 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I do have a rotisserie but we do this at the shop all the time when we want to do something quick without mounting the whole car.

Shortcuts, eh?
OK. I understand how your shop works now...

Boy- that's a cheap shot if I ever saw one. Domingo and his guys have more talent in their pinky fingers than MOST on this board, I have PERSONALLY seen the quality of their workmanship/metal fabrication skills- which are second to NONE! I think an apology is in order- but I'm sure you'll take the low road vs. the high- and just take another shot at Domingo- or myself. We'll just consider the source.

Those kind of comments usally come from folks with no clue, so you just disregard everything they post.

I'd like to see a apology also.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1289122
08/23/12 02:53 PM
08/23/12 02:53 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
Quote:

In ragards to Domingos Shop and help, I'll back what Kirby said, there's no lack of talent and ability down there that's for sure!

there is a disreguard for safety here
no matter how much sugar you pour on it!
many people have been hurt and killed
trusting hydraulic pressure to holding up unsprung weight!
sorry, it is a short cut that should not be taken!
to tell someone it is "safe" or "ok" is plain ignorant and stupid and if you need explaining you are a lost cause

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. [Re: flypaper] #1289123
08/23/12 03:36 PM
08/23/12 03:36 PM
minnesota
Kirby Offline
pro stock
Kirby  Offline
pro stock

minnesota
Quote:

Quote:

to tell someone it is "safe" or "ok" is plain ignorant and stupid and if you need explaining you are a lost cause

I believe he was taking a shot at Domingo's work- not his degree of safety.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. [Re: Kirby] #1289124
08/23/12 03:45 PM
08/23/12 03:45 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
I was not going to post again....

But hey, lifts have hydraulic pistons....and they have some kind of restraint system in case the piston fails.

Also all of those guys too scared to use hydraulic equipment, i wonder how you get around using a hydraulic press....have you ever seen one of those things unload all of a sudden when pressing stuff???? Still, people use em.

Jack the car as I showed, fix it solid somehow for safety and thats it. When working with power tools, cars, and any other type of equipment in a shop you just have to watch out for safety always...but you are always at risk even if you are just standing there and watching. Just make it as safe as you can.

Its just an easy way of puting your car in a workable position QUICK with a tool most any car hobbyist already has in his garage. This is a tip mostly for backyard hobbyists. I have a shop, and I find it handy in certain occasions...Even when I have a rotisserie AND a lift.

PERIOD.

Now this is my last post. Anything else and its just beating a dead horse.

Oh BTW, all you guys stop eating McDonalds, drinking pop soda, processed foods packed with preservatives and chemical crap, and all that junk most all of you guys eat on a daily basis....that might kill you way faster than my backyard trick. LOL.

Kirby: No lobster for you!!! -inside joke-

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. [Re: Kirby] #1289125
08/23/12 03:48 PM
08/23/12 03:48 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

No sugar needed, if you look at my first post I both congratulated them for a good idea and also questioned the safety aspects. Not so much because I felt they needed my input, but more so for the person who might lack the know how or experience who's reading the thread and trying the same at home without taking further precations and possibly getting hurt in the process.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. [Re: Kirby] #1289126
08/23/12 04:08 PM
08/23/12 04:08 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i took it as a shot in general
stan has a very good point!
he is pointing out the obvious and i feel
he owes nothing to anyone!

domingo forgets people are stupid in general
not everyone who reads this is savvy
next you will see is someone getting hurt
because they used thier harbor frieght shop crane
to lift a c body with only the door removed
to fit the crane in
because he saw it work on moparts...
if domingo wants to take chances like that
or paint without a respirator
thats great!
encouraging others to do the same isn't....
all the talent in world is worth squat
when you are not around to use it.
btw
i use a shop crane to lift car shells up like that
but i put the shell right down on my small
trailer to move it or hang it on the rotissere
it does not stay suspended in the air any longer then needed
and i NEVER go under it when it is suspended PERIOD!
it is not worth taking the chance...

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. [Re: Kirby] #1289127
08/24/12 09:35 AM
08/24/12 09:35 AM
South-Central (Sebring), FL
Commando1 Offline
master
Commando1  Offline
master

South-Central (Sebring), FL
Quote:

You're dead wrong.
I know all about Domingo's excellent work.
It was concerning the safety practices.

BTW, if one takes a safety shortcut, you don't go around passing it as a great idea and helpful hint. That is stupid.
If he's allowed to say something stupid, I'm allowed to take a so called "cheap shot".

Now go choose something else to hate me for. In your case it will be easy.

You want to drink the Koolaid and worship everything your god says as pure wisdom? Fine.

Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: domingo] #1289128
08/24/12 10:24 AM
08/24/12 10:24 AM
MD
p d'ro Offline
pro stock
p d'ro  Offline
pro stock

MD
I don't know enough about it, but would all of that weight for extended periods on the side of the whels cause issues with bearings, joints, etc? Seems like a lot of lateral force on an area not designed to take it.

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: p d'ro] #1289129
08/24/12 03:47 PM
08/24/12 03:47 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Quote:

I don't know enough about it, but would all of that weight for extended periods on the side of the whels cause issues with bearings, joints, etc? Seems like a lot of lateral force on an area not designed to take it.

nope, its about as much force as driving around a corner. I have no problems with this method. I may include a jack stand though. Tim

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: astjp2] #1289130
08/24/12 11:24 PM
08/24/12 11:24 PM
colorado
A
a12superbee Offline
master
a12superbee  Offline
master
A

colorado
I myself can see a quite a few ways to safely support a car like this that anybody could do at home.

to Domingo.

We all decide our own level of risk.
Agreed, not every guy with a car and a hoist is capable of truly understanding the physics behind it all and will become a statistic. Won't matter if it was posted here or not.
It's how evolution works.

I can't afford this. mark
Re: Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: a12superbee] #1289131
08/25/12 03:32 AM
08/25/12 03:32 AM
Cut and Shoot, TX
kentj340 Offline
top fuel
kentj340  Offline
top fuel

Cut and Shoot, TX
Quote:

I myself can see a quite a few ways to safely support a car like this that anybody could do at home.

to Domingo.

We all decide our own level of risk.
Agreed, not every guy with a car and a hoist is capable of truly understanding the physics behind it all and will become a statistic. Won't matter if it was posted here or not.
It's how evolution works.

Main things to do: add a safety support under the car, and keep the center of gravity in mind.

My car is totally stripped, and the body in white weighs 460 lbs. Lifting one side with a seat belt anchor would be around half that, or about 230 lbs. I have been planning to raise up one side of the car to about 45 degrees, but I had not thought about using the seat belt anchor - great idea! Wouldn't ya think that anchor has to be good for well north of 230 lbs?

I'll be bolting wood skids to where the K frame mounts and where the rear springs mount. These skids will also serve as a dolly for transporting the shell to a painter. And they will keep the center of gravity for sure on the correct side of the axis of rotation of the body shell.

Thanks for the tip, Domingo!

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.
Re: Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: kentj340] #1289132
08/25/12 01:57 PM
08/25/12 01:57 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
For the car crash scenario the stopping distance is one foot, the force on a 160 lb driver is about 4800 lb or 2.4 tons, and the deceleration about 30 g's. This is your body moving 1 foot foreward in the car.

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: astjp2] #1289133
08/25/12 07:44 PM
08/25/12 07:44 PM
New Mexico
UCUDANT Offline
Troll Hunter
UCUDANT  Offline
Troll Hunter

New Mexico
Simple use this method and include safety restraints.

I would not be typing this if I didn't have the forethought to stack a few tires near a Mopar rolled on it's side... a buddy's great idea went bad. He was literally going into shock blubbering after he saw me escape with my life. Just take precautions.

I am so sick of folks that berate others here, based on false merits (their own false merits). Domingo does some pretty impressive work, I've owned some of it. Yeah anything attemped in the garage requires the first tool...your brain. If your clueless natural selection has the cure. Folks deal with it lets stop coddling the stupid, it's caused overpopulation already. If you've never built a car to the caliber of the person or car your slamming....Shut the yer hole...OR SHOW US YOUR CAR I will be calling MFers out before long

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: UCUDANT] #1289134
08/25/12 09:15 PM
08/25/12 09:15 PM
Houston Texas
PAINT IT BLACK Offline
Got a CHIP on my shoulder
PAINT IT BLACK  Offline

Houston Texas
I think its a good method. Add a few easy safety precautions though.. not hard. That picker isn't holding much weight really.

I had 4 jackstands on a car once with no wheels on it (eh, fairly safe, right?) and they all gave way with me underneath. Fortunately there was no engine/trans/suspension and I was on my back face up in the engine bay with my legs in the transmission tunnel (incidental). Got a minor fracture in my foot, but was happy to have it.

The point is, anything can happen. Crappy thing is I have a 4 post, but I didn't want to drag the other car off the lift for a seemingly simple task (similar to the hassle of bolting up a rotisserie... just sayin').

It takes balls on this forum to post what Domingo did considering the arm chair quarter backing that goes on here.

Are these pics of mine SO much different?? This is the way I do my engine pulls/swaps. Big jobs require risk. You manage it... and always look for an exit.

If you've never built a car with your own hands, you have NO reason to add to this conversation in my opinion. Keep your nonsense to yourself.

7350480-DSC_00082.jpg (199 downloads)
Re: Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: PAINT IT BLACK] #1289135
08/25/12 09:16 PM
08/25/12 09:16 PM
Houston Texas
PAINT IT BLACK Offline
PAINT IT BLACK  Offline

Houston Texas
Perty engine, eh? God, I love working on clean, fresh cars. Compare my shirts in the two pics....haha

7350483-DSC029823.jpg (184 downloads)
Re: Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: PAINT IT BLACK] #1289136
08/25/12 09:36 PM
08/25/12 09:36 PM
New Mexico
UCUDANT Offline
Troll Hunter
UCUDANT  Offline
Troll Hunter

New Mexico
Hellz yeah, nice work. As a tech I work under some armored 8K plus stuff suspended overhead regularly. Heres a Super Dooky cab strapped to a lift

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: UCUDANT] #1289137
08/26/12 10:47 AM
08/26/12 10:47 AM
Great White North
Furyman Offline
master
Furyman  Offline
master

Great White North
Great idea but please use a back up safety stand.A buddy of mine died a couple of weeks ago when his hydraulic jack failed.He was a member here but did not post much.His last project was that tuff 69 Charger R/T 410 Dana Auto car that he purchased from another member here last year....it was in the B Body cars for sale section for months.He had made great progress on it.
greg

"Long Live Mopars"
Re: Lateral weight on wheels? [Re: Furyman] #1289138
08/26/12 04:24 PM
08/26/12 04:24 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
BarrsRestoration  Offline
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Thanks for sharing that, Furyman. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.
I have a coworker who I constantly see under a car held up with a jack, and no stand present.
Sometimes he will use a stand, but too often not. I've placed stands underneath before, while he was working. I've made comments. Now, I just shake my head. I think he believes he's faster than a falling car.
I fully expect that one day someone wil enter the other building and find him like your friend was found.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. [Re: Commando1] #1289139
08/27/12 11:29 AM
08/27/12 11:29 AM
minnesota
Kirby Offline
pro stock
Kirby  Offline
pro stock

minnesota
Quote:

Quote:

You're dead wrong.
I know all about Domingo's excellent work.
It was concerning the safety practices.

BTW, if one takes a safety shortcut, you don't go around passing it as a great idea and helpful hint. That is stupid.
If he's allowed to say something stupid, I'm allowed to take a so called "cheap shot".

Now go choose something else to hate me for. In your case it will be easy.

You want to drink the Koolaid and worship everything your god says as pure wisdom? Fine.

As predicted-

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4