Moparts

Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal.

Posted By: domingo

Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 04:27 PM

A way to have a rotisserie really fast. Works great....you can lift the car from one side, then from the other.

I do have a rotisserie but we do this at the shop all the time when we want to do something quick without mounting the whole car.

Or its a great way to do a driver quality car.

great for blasting, etc.

Even painting the underside.

Attached picture 7344407-001.JPG

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 04:28 PM

you use the seat belt nut on the body.

Just fab an ear to bolt it on there....and lift with the cherry picker.

Attached picture 7344409-002.JPG

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 04:29 PM

last one

Attached picture 7344411-003.JPG
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 05:07 PM

That's a great idea Domingo, but you should also have some other safety device in place in case the hydraulic jack fails (or the bolt, loop weld, a bad or rusted seat belt anchor, etc.).
Posted By: EL5 71

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 05:57 PM

WoW! I've improvised alot of times but never thought to try that. Pretty cool idea! I think I'd feel better using an overhead hoist though, just to be a little safer. Or maybe just sliding some kind of steel (non-crushable) fixture under the car when I'm working incase the hoist gives out.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 06:39 PM

if the hyd jack goes bad I guess it would just lower slowly.....its not like its gonna snap....

but yes.

I just wanted to show you guys a way to get around something without spending 2k on a rotisserie.....

Yes, extra safety is not a bad idea. Not hard to figure that one out! I leave that one to you guys!!!
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 06:48 PM

Attached picture 7344582-TruckBoards.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 06:59 PM

Thats a lot of weight hanging on a single 1/2" fine thread bolt with no safety support of some kind under it?

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:00 PM

Quote:

Now thats bad. Just shows Darwin is right.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:03 PM

Quote:

Thats a lot of weight hanging on a single 1/2" fine thread bolt with no safety support of some kind under it?

No engine, no nothing, Just body suspension and thats it.

Not a lot of weight by any chance. Car is still supported by the other 2 wheels on the ground.

Just trying to show a different way of doing things. I sure know it saves a lot of time. If you think it's too dangerous then dont do it!
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:09 PM

Also a chance of lifting it past center and it rolls over on it's
side.....YIKES, not me.

Joe

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:09 PM

You just have to use some common sense. If the floor is rotted, then dont do it. If the nuts not welded OK, then dont do it, if you loop welds are crappy, then dont do it, If you car has an engine and everything else on it....I wouldt do it, If you are gonna be standing under the car welding something like the guy on the other pic, then use extra support for safety, etc.

Taking a walk outside and crossing the street is also dangerous just so you know, a car can run you over. Just be sure too look both sides before crossing....duh!

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:12 PM

Quote:

side.....YIKES, not me.

Joe

You just dont lift it past center.

Seems this is rocket sience for you guys! Stay away from this is way too dangerous!!!

Ive been doing it for 10 years. Nothing has happened. Ever.

I also have fabbed tall jack stands to stop it if it were to fall.

Just uyse common sense.

I also have a rotisserie, and a lift....but sometimes I dont have the time, nor I find practical to use those 2. So I do this instead.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:13 PM

No offense , but I'll bet thats still close to 1000 lbs

do what you want, I am just thinking safety first

brother to a buddy of mine died when his floor jack blew out,,,,, with him under the car.It didn't just go down slowly, it fell asap.

And it was just a 1969 Camaro shell. NO interior, engine, trans, no doors or decklid. Just a bare shell with ft and rear suspensions in it(about what you have in the car pictured)

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

side.....YIKES, not me.

Joe

You just dont lift it past center.

Seems this is rocket sience for you guys! Stay away from this is way too dangerous!!!

Ive been doing it for 10 years. Nothing has happened. Ever.

I also have fabbed tall jack stands to stop it if it were to fall.

Just uyse common sense.

I also have a rotisserie, and a lift....but sometimes I dont have the time, nor I find practical to use those 2. So I do this instead.

I'm with you, time matters and sometimes you have to take chances. It don't scare me a bit, I think it's been done before and will be done again.
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:22 PM

Quote:

brother to a buddy of mine died when his floor jack blew out,,,,, with him under the car.It didn't just go down slowly, it fell asap.

If the seal totally fails, it's gonna drop like a bomb. If the cheap Chinese crane boom is overloaded, it can fail. This is no different than using a jack as a LIFTING DEVICE only. I don't really have a problem with the idea; just that you need some support stands to take the weight off the crane.
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:33 PM

Quote:

A way to have a rotisserie really fast. Works great....you can lift the car from one side, then from the other.

I do have a rotisserie but we do this at the shop all the time when we want to do something quick without mounting the whole car.

great for blasting, etc.

If thats a 2 ton unit your overloading the crane. Slide the boom back in at least one position.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:40 PM

Use support it any other way if you are gonna be working under the car and thats it.....

Also if you will be spraying paint, use a respirator and dont inhale the fumes, and if you are gonna do some welding be sure to use goggles or a welding mask if not youre gonna hurt your eyes.

If you are going to use a cherry picker never install an engine with it or the chain might snap, or a bolt fail, or the hyd piston and fall on your freshly painted car, or your hand, or you.....still ive done it hundreds of times....nothing ever happened. Of course i dont like to lay under an engine thats being lifted with a cherry picker.....but i wont say inwont use one to install an engine because its dangerous and it might fail.

1000 lbs???? No chance!!!!! How much does a stripped shell with suspension weigh????

Posted By: flypaper

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:53 PM

Quote:

Use support it any other way if you are gonna be working under the car and thats it.....

Also if you will be spraying paint, use a respirator and dont inhale the fumes, and if you are gonna do some welding be sure to use goggles or a welding mask if not youre gonna hurt your eyes.

If you are going to use a cherry picker never install an engine with it or the chain might snap, or a bolt fail, or the hyd piston and fall on your freshly painted car, or your hand, or you.....still ive done it hundreds of times....nothing ever happened. Of course i dont like to lay under an engine thats being lifted with a cherry picker.....but i wont say inwont use one to install an engine because its dangerous and it might fail.

1000 lbs???? No chance!!!!! How much does a stripped shell with suspension weigh????

if you owned a shop like that in the states
osha would shut you down and own you..lol
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 07:58 PM

Quote:

1000 lbs???? No chance!!!!! Most of the weight is on the 2 tires that are planted on the ground.....

How much does a stripped shell with its suspension weigh?????? The cherry picker is suporting less than half for sure. Id say its suporting a third of all the weight at the most.

Dont ask me, its your car! If you dont know what weight your lifting thats pretty bad!

Seriously though...you ARE lifting half the weight of the vehicle BUT the higher you lift it the more of the weight is transferered to the wheels on the ground.
You have the clearance, slide the boom in and give yourself some extra safety

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 08:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

great for blasting, etc.

If thats a 2 ton unit your overloading the crane. Slide the boom back in at least one position.

You guessed wrong!!!! Where it is set up it good for 1 TON.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 08:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But I dont!

And I can turn out jobs like this, which Im sure most of the US shops cant!

Attached picture 7344679-076.JPG

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 08:16 PM

after

Attached picture 7344683-030.JPG
Posted By: demon

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 08:21 PM

Quote:

not even 1/2". Seat belts use 7/16" fine threads.
A safer method would be pass a chain or cable through a body plug hole and into a thick piece of steel underneath. I don't think stressing the seat belt anchor is a great idea since you may need that seat belt to be strong in the event of a crash.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/21/12 08:31 PM

OK guys. This is a useless idea. Discard it....people will die otherwise.

This is the load a seatbelt will take if crashing at a fixed object with a stopping distance of 1 foot if traveling at 30 mph.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/seatb.html

bolt strength....fine is even stronger than coarse. http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/bolts/SAE_bolt_strength.html

Like I said, its a different and easy way of doing it. I do it, and it works. Its all I can say. Of course always watch out for your own safety, cant hurt. Will this kill you? Not likely.

This is my last post!
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/22/12 04:42 AM

That is soooo hillbilly. This is how we "roll" in Cleveland. This is 1985, mind you. I was 18.. These are single matresses off of my sisters beds.. lol Domingo, you are still one of my heroes.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/22/12 01:46 PM

Take the spray gun with red oxide primer away from that guy!! lol
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/22/12 01:46 PM

Quote:

Shortcuts, eh?
OK. I understand how your shop works now...

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/22/12 01:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Shortcuts, eh?

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/22/12 02:30 PM

Quote:

I'm with you, time matters and sometimes you have to take chances. It don't scare me a bit, I think it's been done before and will be done again.

Gary,
sorry but I dis-agree.

Life matters. Life is way to short as it is to speed up the process.
A really good friend of mine died 'taking a shortcut'. All because instead of taking 30 seconds and walking around a running farm tractor, he decided to step over a spinning driveshaft that was running a conveyer rig. And it cost him his life. The driveshaft snagged a loose piece of thread on his coverall pants leg and proceded to beat him to a pulp breaking virtually every bone in his body before squeezing him out of his coveralls like a banana. I found out about it the next day when his dad called me at work.

That was Dec 6th 1992 and to this day I get this feeling in my bones like someone is tapping on my shoulder when I'm getting to 'take shortcuts'

Could the same thing happen here or are the scenarios the same? No.
But it's only going to take one simple / miniscule thing to go horribly wrong to change your thought process about safety. And when it does, you will spend the rest of your life thinking what could have been done better

Domingo
My sincerest apologies for the hijack,, and absolutly no dis-respect meant in any way.
But it just gets a little personal for me.
Posted By: cmansell

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/22/12 03:55 PM

Most of us has an engine hoist taking up space. My shop is 20x40 so storage of a tool that next week I will have used 2 times for it's intended use in the last five years is hard to justify. Your tip has added another potential use for it and I say Thanks. Now I know I must be the only person who has skipped some of the safety practices that would be recommended to all who perform any tasks in the pursuit of my hobby, such as safety glasses and shoes, correct masks, goggles, all things welding requires the certification, and correct ventilation and lighting, storage of all materials correctly and the list goes on forever. I grew up watching my dad working on a dirt spot with a bumper jack and concrete block 50 years ago and now I know why he hollered "Get Back" so many times when I wanted to help. I stop working if someone enters my shop as I consider it a dangerous place where someone could be injured, likely me. But I was there this morning at a little past seven drug out a chair and finished my coffee and then cleaned up last nights mess left when I pulled the door closed after ten tired and confused. A phone call about the passing of a friend of cancer brought me from the shop to the computer to see if any arrangements were posted and I ended up here. So everyone back to work and lets be safe out there!
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/22/12 05:02 PM

Domingo, thanks for showing us.

I understand everyone's point of view, but whatever anyone does on their own is their business. Don't bash him because of this. I may try it I may not.

On another topic, I will be getting in touch with Domingo about replaceing sheet metal for advice! Nice cuda!

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/22/12 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gary,
sorry but I dis-agree.

Life matters. Life is way to short as it is to speed up the process.
A really good friend of mine died 'taking a shortcut'. All because instead of taking 30 seconds and walking around a running farm tractor, he decided to step over a spinning driveshaft that was running a conveyer rig. And it cost him his life. The driveshaft snagged a loose piece of thread on his coverall pants leg and proceded to beat him to a pulp breaking virtually every bone in his body before squeezing him out of his coveralls like a banana. I found out about it the next day when his dad called me at work.

That was Dec 6th 1992 and to this day I get this feeling in my bones like someone is tapping on my shoulder when I'm getting to 'take shortcuts'

Could the same thing happen here or are the scenarios the same? No.
But it's only going to take one simple / miniscule thing to go horribly wrong to change your thought process about safety. And when it does, you will spend the rest of your life thinking what could have been done better

Domingo
My sincerest apologies for the hijack,, and absolutly no dis-respect meant in any way.
But it just gets a little personal for me.

No problem on this end...
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/22/12 11:06 PM

Nope, there are only 900 inspectors in the United States. They will only respond to accidents, not some guy in a small shop unless there is an injury. Tim

Quote:

Quote:

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/22/12 11:22 PM

Yup

Quote:

Nope, there are only 900 inspectors in the United States. They will only respond to accidents, not some guy in a small shop unless there is an injury. Tim

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 03:40 AM

Far too many holier than thou buttheads on this board. Great idea. I plan to use it some day. Thanks
Posted By: 1970Dart3406

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 03:55 AM

In regards to the bolt, whats the difference between the seatbelt bolt holding the body, and the bolt holding the chain to the boom on the hoist.
Lift it up, prop it up with fabbed up jack stands, and leave the hoist on for safety's sake. What's there to worry about once you have some safety measure in place.
In the end it's a quick way to get the body in a position to work on without the investment in an expensive garage fixture for 95% of the people with cars.

Domingo, thanks for the backyard idea! Some will appreciate it for what it is.
Posted By: BarrsRestoration

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 04:37 AM

It's official. I thought I had seen it all. I was wrong.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 02:24 PM

Quote:

It's official. I thought I had seen it all. I was wrong.

In regards to what?
Posted By: Kirby

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Shortcuts, eh?

Boy- that's a cheap shot if I ever saw one. Domingo and his guys have more talent in their pinky fingers than MOST on this board, I have PERSONALLY seen the quality of their workmanship/metal fabrication skills- which are second to NONE! I think an apology is in order- but I'm sure you'll take the low road vs. the high- and just take another shot at Domingo- or myself. We'll just consider the source.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 05:59 PM

In ragards to Domingos Shop and help, I'll back what Kirby said, there's no lack of talent and ability down there that's for sure!

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 06:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Shortcuts, eh?

Boy- that's a cheap shot if I ever saw one. Domingo and his guys have more talent in their pinky fingers than MOST on this board, I have PERSONALLY seen the quality of their workmanship/metal fabrication skills- which are second to NONE! I think an apology is in order- but I'm sure you'll take the low road vs. the high- and just take another shot at Domingo- or myself. We'll just consider the source.

Those kind of comments usally come from folks with no clue, so you just disregard everything they post.

I'd like to see a apology also.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 06:53 PM

Quote:

In ragards to Domingos Shop and help, I'll back what Kirby said, there's no lack of talent and ability down there that's for sure!

there is a disreguard for safety here
no matter how much sugar you pour on it!
many people have been hurt and killed
trusting hydraulic pressure to holding up unsprung weight!
sorry, it is a short cut that should not be taken!
to tell someone it is "safe" or "ok" is plain ignorant and stupid and if you need explaining you are a lost cause

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 07:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

to tell someone it is "safe" or "ok" is plain ignorant and stupid and if you need explaining you are a lost cause

I believe he was taking a shot at Domingo's work- not his degree of safety.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 07:45 PM

I was not going to post again....

But hey, lifts have hydraulic pistons....and they have some kind of restraint system in case the piston fails.

Also all of those guys too scared to use hydraulic equipment, i wonder how you get around using a hydraulic press....have you ever seen one of those things unload all of a sudden when pressing stuff???? Still, people use em.

Jack the car as I showed, fix it solid somehow for safety and thats it. When working with power tools, cars, and any other type of equipment in a shop you just have to watch out for safety always...but you are always at risk even if you are just standing there and watching. Just make it as safe as you can.

Its just an easy way of puting your car in a workable position QUICK with a tool most any car hobbyist already has in his garage. This is a tip mostly for backyard hobbyists. I have a shop, and I find it handy in certain occasions...Even when I have a rotisserie AND a lift.

PERIOD.

Now this is my last post. Anything else and its just beating a dead horse.

Oh BTW, all you guys stop eating McDonalds, drinking pop soda, processed foods packed with preservatives and chemical crap, and all that junk most all of you guys eat on a daily basis....that might kill you way faster than my backyard trick. LOL.

Kirby: No lobster for you!!! -inside joke-

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 07:48 PM

Quote:

No sugar needed, if you look at my first post I both congratulated them for a good idea and also questioned the safety aspects. Not so much because I felt they needed my input, but more so for the person who might lack the know how or experience who's reading the thread and trying the same at home without taking further precations and possibly getting hurt in the process.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/23/12 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i took it as a shot in general
stan has a very good point!
he is pointing out the obvious and i feel
he owes nothing to anyone!

domingo forgets people are stupid in general
not everyone who reads this is savvy
next you will see is someone getting hurt
because they used thier harbor frieght shop crane
to lift a c body with only the door removed
to fit the crane in
because he saw it work on moparts...
if domingo wants to take chances like that
or paint without a respirator
thats great!
encouraging others to do the same isn't....
all the talent in world is worth squat
when you are not around to use it.
btw
i use a shop crane to lift car shells up like that
but i put the shell right down on my small
trailer to move it or hang it on the rotissere
it does not stay suspended in the air any longer then needed
and i NEVER go under it when it is suspended PERIOD!
it is not worth taking the chance...

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/24/12 01:35 PM

Quote:

You're dead wrong.
I know all about Domingo's excellent work.
It was concerning the safety practices.

BTW, if one takes a safety shortcut, you don't go around passing it as a great idea and helpful hint. That is stupid.
If he's allowed to say something stupid, I'm allowed to take a so called "cheap shot".

Now go choose something else to hate me for. In your case it will be easy.

You want to drink the Koolaid and worship everything your god says as pure wisdom? Fine.
Posted By: p d'ro

Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/24/12 02:24 PM

I don't know enough about it, but would all of that weight for extended periods on the side of the whels cause issues with bearings, joints, etc? Seems like a lot of lateral force on an area not designed to take it.

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/24/12 07:47 PM

Quote:

I don't know enough about it, but would all of that weight for extended periods on the side of the whels cause issues with bearings, joints, etc? Seems like a lot of lateral force on an area not designed to take it.

nope, its about as much force as driving around a corner. I have no problems with this method. I may include a jack stand though. Tim
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/25/12 03:24 AM

I myself can see a quite a few ways to safely support a car like this that anybody could do at home.

to Domingo.

We all decide our own level of risk.
Agreed, not every guy with a car and a hoist is capable of truly understanding the physics behind it all and will become a statistic. Won't matter if it was posted here or not.
It's how evolution works.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/25/12 07:32 AM

Quote:

I myself can see a quite a few ways to safely support a car like this that anybody could do at home.

to Domingo.

We all decide our own level of risk.
Agreed, not every guy with a car and a hoist is capable of truly understanding the physics behind it all and will become a statistic. Won't matter if it was posted here or not.
It's how evolution works.

Main things to do: add a safety support under the car, and keep the center of gravity in mind.

My car is totally stripped, and the body in white weighs 460 lbs. Lifting one side with a seat belt anchor would be around half that, or about 230 lbs. I have been planning to raise up one side of the car to about 45 degrees, but I had not thought about using the seat belt anchor - great idea! Wouldn't ya think that anchor has to be good for well north of 230 lbs?

I'll be bolting wood skids to where the K frame mounts and where the rear springs mount. These skids will also serve as a dolly for transporting the shell to a painter. And they will keep the center of gravity for sure on the correct side of the axis of rotation of the body shell.

Thanks for the tip, Domingo!

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/25/12 05:57 PM

For the car crash scenario the stopping distance is one foot, the force on a 160 lb driver is about 4800 lb or 2.4 tons, and the deceleration about 30 g's. This is your body moving 1 foot foreward in the car.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/25/12 11:44 PM

Simple use this method and include safety restraints.

I would not be typing this if I didn't have the forethought to stack a few tires near a Mopar rolled on it's side... a buddy's great idea went bad. He was literally going into shock blubbering after he saw me escape with my life. Just take precautions.

I am so sick of folks that berate others here, based on false merits (their own false merits). Domingo does some pretty impressive work, I've owned some of it. Yeah anything attemped in the garage requires the first tool...your brain. If your clueless natural selection has the cure. Folks deal with it lets stop coddling the stupid, it's caused overpopulation already. If you've never built a car to the caliber of the person or car your slamming....Shut the yer hole...OR SHOW US YOUR CAR I will be calling MFers out before long
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/26/12 01:15 AM

I think its a good method. Add a few easy safety precautions though.. not hard. That picker isn't holding much weight really.

I had 4 jackstands on a car once with no wheels on it (eh, fairly safe, right?) and they all gave way with me underneath. Fortunately there was no engine/trans/suspension and I was on my back face up in the engine bay with my legs in the transmission tunnel (incidental). Got a minor fracture in my foot, but was happy to have it.

The point is, anything can happen. Crappy thing is I have a 4 post, but I didn't want to drag the other car off the lift for a seemingly simple task (similar to the hassle of bolting up a rotisserie... just sayin').

It takes balls on this forum to post what Domingo did considering the arm chair quarter backing that goes on here.

Are these pics of mine SO much different?? This is the way I do my engine pulls/swaps. Big jobs require risk. You manage it... and always look for an exit.

If you've never built a car with your own hands, you have NO reason to add to this conversation in my opinion. Keep your nonsense to yourself.

Attached picture 7350480-DSC_00082.jpg
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/26/12 01:16 AM

Perty engine, eh? God, I love working on clean, fresh cars. Compare my shirts in the two pics....haha

Attached picture 7350483-DSC029823.jpg
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/26/12 01:36 AM

Hellz yeah, nice work. As a tech I work under some armored 8K plus stuff suspended overhead regularly. Heres a Super Dooky cab strapped to a lift

Attached picture 7350507-319337_10150362085706171_3470586_n.jpg
Posted By: Furyman

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/26/12 02:47 PM

Great idea but please use a back up safety stand.A buddy of mine died a couple of weeks ago when his hydraulic jack failed.He was a member here but did not post much.His last project was that tuff 69 Charger R/T 410 Dana Auto car that he purchased from another member here last year....it was in the B Body cars for sale section for months.He had made great progress on it.
greg
Posted By: BarrsRestoration

Re: Lateral weight on wheels? - 08/26/12 08:24 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Furyman. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.
I have a coworker who I constantly see under a car held up with a jack, and no stand present.
Sometimes he will use a stand, but too often not. I've placed stands underneath before, while he was working. I've made comments. Now, I just shake my head. I think he believes he's faster than a falling car.
I fully expect that one day someone wil enter the other building and find him like your friend was found.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 08/27/12 03:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You're dead wrong.
I know all about Domingo's excellent work.
It was concerning the safety practices.

BTW, if one takes a safety shortcut, you don't go around passing it as a great idea and helpful hint. That is stupid.
If he's allowed to say something stupid, I'm allowed to take a so called "cheap shot".

Now go choose something else to hate me for. In your case it will be easy.

You want to drink the Koolaid and worship everything your god says as pure wisdom? Fine.

As predicted-

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 03/05/15 08:43 AM

Here in the semi-tropics, flowers are blooming, birds are singing, rainbows are shining. Spring has already sprung a few weeks ago and is slowly headed for the cold, cold north. Now’s almost the time to get ready to steam clean my body shell. But not quite yet – the spring rains are still here.

So this is a dry run on a dry day using a variation of Domingo’s method of lifting the car from the seat belt anchor bolt with an engine lift. Yes, yes, safety really is extremely important, and as Domingo said, it’s up to each individual to keep himself safe.

There’s no need to use anything special to latch onto the seat belt anchor. I just used 3/8” chain on a 7/16-20 bolt with some washers – the 3/8” chain fits over the bolt perfectly. I latched onto the 3/8 chain with the grab hook on the end of my engine lift.

The totally naked A body weighs 461 lbs, 186 lbs at each forward leaf spring hanger and 89 lbs in front. With the beams and dollies attached it must weight around 500 lbs, which means about a 250 lb load on the seat belt anchor when it is tipped.

I was able to tip the car about 30 degrees as shown, and I think 45 degrees should be no problem. For safety I’ll probably add two A frame props. The plan is to steam clean the driver side first, then endo the beams and do the passenger side. By steam cleaning the near half of the car each setup and using the steam cleaning wand there should be no need to position my body under the car at any time.

A gasoline engine driven 2400 psi steam cleaner that weighs 269 lbs and heats with diesel fuel that can raise the water temperature by 130 degrees rents for $140/day. Tap water is 60 degrees, so the output will be 190 degrees. Larger units are available for more money, but I’m trusting this unit will take off all the grime and undercoating on the body shell, K frame, hood, and fenders in one or two days.

Thanks again for the idea, Domingo!

Attached picture 8449683-23Bodyinwhite5.jpg

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 03/05/15 08:45 AM

photo 2

Attached picture 8449685-23Bodyinwhite.jpg

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 03/05/15 08:46 AM

last photo

Attached picture 8449687-23Bodyinwhite3.jpg
Posted By: NoFrills

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 03/05/15 07:21 PM

I made this to blast and paint the bottom of my truck cab. It worked real good made from some plywood and 2x6's. I've seen pictures of the same design mounted front and back on a car body so it will roll on the side.

Attached picture 8449996-photoMA29754446-0004.JPG

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 03/05/15 07:22 PM

fliped

Attached picture 8449997-photoMA29754448-0005.JPG
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 03/06/15 02:06 AM

Love it.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 03/06/15 02:37 AM

Great ideas.
You can bet I'll be using these methods.
My plan for a truck cab was to just flip it on it's back right on the frame.
The wooden bucks are a much better way to go.
I love home brewed inexpensive ideas.
Thanx Domingo for starting this thread, and to all that had positive input.

Re: Poor Man's rotisserie: 5 minute deal. - 03/06/15 03:20 AM

I fliped a truck cab on its back to redo it once before and ended up denting the back. thats why I did it this way this time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums