Quote:

Quote:

I have a aftermarket cooler set up on my M-body.
I placed it in front of the radiator-same as you are contemplating. This really is the best/safest place for these.
Make sure the trans fluid outlet side goes into the aftermarket cooler first, then through the factory cooler in the bottom of the radiator and then back into the trans. This will insure the most cooling available.

Hope this helps,
CC.

Curious...why that particular order? Does that simply make sure the fluid ends up cooled, yet still maintained at a correct operating temp? In other words would it be going back to the trans too cool if done in the opposite direction?

I have ben thinking about that a lot. And even though I tend to overthink simple stuff, it was one of the nagging things I keep revisiting.

I'm a lot like you in that respect. It really didn't seem to make the most sense, but I researched the Sheep out of it, and this is pretty much the best way to do it. From what I know the air doesn't do as good a job of cooling as the water does, so by 'precooling' it with air, you get a more substantial drop when it goes through the radiator. It also means there is less heat to transfer to the radiator, so the radiator itself runs cooler.
And there is discussion of using a truck radiator which has a larger cooler in it than a passenger car one. This would give maximum effect.

All I know is that when I installed it the trans seemed to shift much smoother, crisper and more precisely than it did before. Noticably so....

If anyone else can give a better way- I'm all ears. It's simple enough to switch around the hoses....

CC.

Last edited by chargincharles; 04/04/11 03:50 PM.