Back to the idea of quench on a slant (my original post). Here's an idea I posted over on the Slant 6 site. Got no responses so I thought I'd post it here.

Based on the factory numbers (and I have not yet specifically measured out this engine), the head chambers are recessed into the head about .200", while the piston usually sits about .140" in the hole. I'll use these numbers just for arguement.

If the 198 rods are used instead of the 225 rods, it will push the stock 225 piston roughly .147" OUT of the hole. This will give a quench (at the closest points between the head and piston) of about .073" with a .020" steel gasket. Mill the head .028" to clean it up and I'll have about .045" quench (considered good quench in most circles). But the compression will be way to high. So if I cut about a 18cc "D" type dish in the stock piston tops, I'll get roughly a 9.5:1 compression, plus have valve clearance. I've seen this done to other types of stock pistons and assume it's possible here. All of this must be measured out on my specific engine (particularly negative piston deck, since as previously mentioned, it varies between engines, as well as the 198 rod to 225 piston skirt clearance).

I suspect this will work if I can dish the pistons. I'd love to find a piston already like this. The KB268 is close, but the CH is too low. I don't mind the idea of the stock 225 piston as I don't plan to rev beyond 5K anyway.

Any opinions on any of this?

Last edited by polkat; 03/03/11 05:45 PM.