Sorry...I didn't mean any disrespect. Everyone here on Moparts has been more than helpful to me and as a younger guy the information I have learned here has been invaluable. I was just posting another perspective on the subject based on a call I made. Jim Dowell has always been helpful to me and never pushes his cams on me even when I think I need another one.

I can definately speak to the fact that the 440 with the 509 and low compression can be "soft" down low. With the help of Sport440 and Dodgem on this board we solved that problem in a BIG way earlier this year. I found out my cam was in retarded 2*. I advanced it 8* to 102* and it is a beast down low now. First time to the track and I it just kept blowing the tires off of it. Put Caltracs on it and that took care of the traction problem so now we are looking for a little more ET to get to the magic 11.5 mark.

The way I see it I have two things to work on now. I think I will start by reinstalling my 8" vert and then will run the car in the spring and see if there is any improvement. I am wondering if it is possible that I will like the 8" vert on the street now that I have the cam advanced and more bottom end power? I figure its worth a try.

Then after I get the track#'s after the vert change, I can bump up the compression and see how much more that gains me. Sound like a plan?

'72 440 Cuda
11.673 @ 115.91 w/1.663 60'