Quote:

When I switched to a solid cam in my Hemi, I didn't realize I had a repop pushrod & the cam ate it up. I had the same symptoms as you, but living Reno, the August temps were up to 100 degrees & the methanol in the pump gas, made the fuel boil at a much lower temp & bingo, vapor lock. I put the factory vapor separator w/ return line & it solved the problem, but the pushrod was already going south. Put an Eddy mechanical pump w/ 130 lbs of spring pressure & the rod didn't last long. Had to switch to a Holley electric pump & larger return line. No problems since, but I think you should pull the rod out & check the cam end. Find an original OEM pushrod & have its hardness checked. My understanding is that the factory rods were of a harder steel & won't buckle under the pressure & low zinc oils. Best wishes in getting it running.

I have family nearby and have cruised Reno the last 2 summers. Yup 6000+ feet alitidue and 95 degree temps, your fuel system better be up for it.

I also run the factory VS with a return line to the tank. On both my 340 and my 440/6.

Drove all over Reno, Grand Canyon, Vegas, Salt flats and more. All those places I mentioned were hot with the AC running the whole time and the stock fuel pump did fine with the VS and return line.

I even drove it for 120 MPH for over 5 miles at a time on the salt flats with no fuel starvation!!

Also drove the 74 340 challenger to the top of Pikes Peak , no problem.

Love Reno, will be back there next year at least once.

Salt Flats...gee I hope I don't run into anything. lol

Last edited by Challenger 1; 10/29/10 10:36 PM.