Quote:

97 shouldn't need a VIN, but you're right about a lot of these companies not wanting to give out any info. The big difference between the sensors/injectors/etc. between OBDI and OBDII is the downstream O2 sensor. A trip to the local library for wiring diagrams will tell a greater story of any differences. The wiring and computers are certainly different, but there's no reason you can't make the 97 engine a 95, electrically.

the engine 97 in question come with a J TECH mopar computer,, hot wires told me to check the part number,make sure its for a 8 cylinder,,

ive read so much and got some of it crossed up,,,,there is way more development re working a 5.7 computer verses a magnum,,i cant remember what they can and cant do to re programming a magnum,,

but like u said the 97 needs to see wheel speed,,if using a auto computer,, does not if u use a manual computer,,

so i called a few of these computer rebuilders,, they wont program one to run unless i have a VIN,,, i did find a place that has several manual computers,,around 100 bucks,,but he needs a part number for whjat im not sure,,ide assume a manual shift 5.2 in 1997 is going to be rare,,

so yes if i could figure out how to convert it to the earlier wiring,,or maybe hot wires can,,but thats 820 bucks,,yikes,, im not a computer programer,, and dont fully know all whats going on with the engine computers,,,

mega squirt has astand alone unit,that must run with an 1980 era distributor from a lean burn

almost glad its my weekend to work,,lol my head is about to explode from trying to figure out whats going to work and what makes sense dollar wise,,,

1966 barracuda prostreeter super charged 340(SOLD)
1940 dodge coupe 241 hemi street rod
2014 ram express hemi 4x4 dailey driver
2015 cherokee
2013 R/T classic