The 1969 Dodge
Charger 500 & Daytona
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 117
Weight, lbs: 3,740
Number built: 895
Base price: $5,261

3700 lbs is the number I keep finding in old road tests for the original curb weights. I've deleted the old AC compressor, switched to aluminum Weld wheels, and shed weight where I could without cutting/modifying anything, and the car weighed just over 3650 on a local scale. I still plan to switch to a lightweight fiberglass hood, and other easily reversible modifications. I'm no expert at this stuff, that's just what it weighs with 5 gal of gas and no driver. And the current 440 six pack setup.

Yes, the car is a real U code 70 RT in a high impact color, and I do appreciate the rarity and value in it. But if I can improve it without doing serious modifications, and doing nothing that can't be unbolted and changed later, I don't see the harm in upgrading. I'm a stickler for not cutting up classic Mopars, but I won't do anything that can't be undone.

And I also understand that the 440 can be built to easily outperform the 5.7, (in a straight line acceleration contest, atleast) however, there's no way even the best built 440 can touch the drivablity, reliability, efficiency, and performance of the new stuff. To get a 440 to the same 350 net hp number, I'd have a lumpy idle, an engine that would foul plugs quite frequently, and something that would get 9 mpg. And require constant tuning/tinkering.

By contrast, I don't see why the new engine wouldn't get 18(ish) mpg with proper gearing, be more responsive, and as a side benefit, wouldn't need any maintainece outside the normal 100k mile tuneup new cars require.

Maybe I've been spoiled by driving newer performance cars the last few years while this car has been under resto, but honestly my 15 year old 3 series BMW, or my Toyota AE86 outperforms this car in every aspect. I really don't enjoy driving it very much as is. Maybe it's because the 440 in it now is so out of tune, but the car could get it's tail handed to it by a modern 6 cylinder compact truck as it sits. It's quite disheartening.