Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

a 600lb lighter package is an appealing combination.

It does sound appealing, but it isn't going to happen

Go pick up a 5.7 bare block sometime!

Why won't it happen?

From what I can find via Moparts and Google, the weight of a 5.7 hemi is just under 500 lbs. The 440 with cast iron heads/block/intake is just under 700 lbs.
And on top of that, my B body currently weighs 3600 lbs with the 440, and a stock LX sedan weighs 4050.

So if the 70 model is already 400 lbs lighter than the 08, and the engines have a 200 lb weight difference, the 5.7 should outperform the 440 in every aspect. Reliability, lighter weight, power, etc.

The main reason I want to do the swap is because I want it to be a better rounded, more reliable, efficient car. I don't really want to build the big block, as then I'd have to face 100x the maintaince, fuel economy, worse handling and braking, etc.

your charger weighs what? 3600??? not a chance. I'll guess a BB charger w/ gas and driver is close to if no over 4000lbs. there is no reason a old school wedge can't do all that for you at 1/3rd of the cost and with zero mods to your car. and sorry the 5.7 isn't going to out perform you old 440. Not if you do it right. Is that a real RT? I'd be hard pressed to cut it up for a new school Hemi. A 440 w/ alminum heads, intake, H2O pump and headers isn't going to cost you much weight. My old 69 had a nice PST sway bar and KYB shcoks I could take any on ramp at 70.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!