intragration,

I don't disagree with your point either.
The contribution from pre 1980 vehicles is a tiny portion. I completely agree that they should be left alone. However, it is in all of our best interest to make sure that we are running clean and crisp, not any darn way we want.
A little history here; The first emissions equipment (PCV) was a good thing, much better than road draft tubes. Better for the engine and the air. It grew from there, and there are still guys that try to just run breathers with no PCV on the street.

There were a lot of bad ideas, poor equipment, performance robbing mods and big brother tactics that have given "smog" a bad name for all gearheads. That continures, and as we all know, a bureaucracy NEVER shrinks when it's usefullness is past. They have 2 goals; protect themselves and grow first, and whatever they were assigned to do a distant second. On the other hand, there are at least twice as many cars on the road in LA as there were in the 70s, and the air is cleaner. That is what the laws, bad as they can be, have done in a real messy place, smog-wise.

I know that all of us gearheads must stick together or we will be divided and conquered. I only joke about Chevy guys and Ford guys, even the ricers. We are all the same to most of the public and the legislators. But if you are driving around looking like a diesel on acceleration, you are the enemy, because your actions are hurting all of us.