Quote:

The thing will start, run and accelerate better, get better mileage and even have the side benefit of putting out less junk. We all whine about big brother, but this is why they check.

I totally disagree with this. The reason they check is because they want to control every aspect of your life, from cradle to grave. It's not big brother's job to make sure a 40 year old car is tuned up right. Our cars constitute probably .01% of the total miles driven every year in this country. Personally, I would rather find a way to defeat the test than comply, even if it meant my car was running less-than-optimally. It's my car, I'll run it how I want, and I don't want my tax dollars coming back tell me what I ought to do.

As for insurance, as long as you comply with the requirements for registering as an antique vehicle, most (many? some?) insurance companies won't even ask questions. In Illinois, to have antique plates, you need to sign a form that indicates you only drive to or from shows, for service, or for "demonstrations". What's a demonstration? I drove it to work today to demonstrate it to my co-workers? I drove it to the restaurant to demonstrate it to my friends? I'm not using one of the specialty brand insurance companies, it's a regular well-known Illinois company.