I suppose what you're saying would be possible to happen, but I would think pretty unlikely. Anything that falls is going to more than likely just hit the horizontal bottom area of the inside of the door.

My bigger concern was protecting the glass from scratches. I went so far as to cover it with some 3 mil plastic sheeting. This became such a huge pain in itself, I just removed it and installed the glass bare. Maneuvering with the plastic made it MORE likely I would damage the glass.

Having had more time to think about this job, and having adjusted the glass since my last post, I retract what I said about the job being unsatisfying. It was a huge pain, but in the end, it works pretty well, and it does give the car a big boost in feeling of completion. If you take your time, it's relatively simple to get the glass adjusted really well. After about 30 minutes, I had a perfect seal around both pieces of side glass. The only strange problem is the door glass doesn't quite want to close all the way when the door is closed, it closes flush with the seal, but doesn't overlap the way it's supposed to. Closing it with the door open and then closing the door eliminates this problem. I guess I could really crank down on the handle and jam it shut, but my original regulator was ruined this way, I'd rather not strip the teeth off this one too.