Well, I just got done messing with it. I tried the timing everywhere from TDC to 25* initial. The engine vacuum went up the farther I advanced the timing, but couldnt get any more than 17.5* or so at 1000rpm. I cheched the timing in gear as suggested and it is the same as it is at 1100rpm. I sprayed around the perimeter of the manifold, carb base and all of the vacuum fittings and plugs on the intake. When the timing is up around 20* base, the engine is very snappy and responsive at both idle and in gear, but it drags the starter when at operating temperature. The stall of the converter seems to vary as well. This is a reman unit that went in with the rebuilt engine, and sometimes it will stall at 1600 or so, and other times 1200-1300. Im thinking the starter is not the culprit either, as I had this starter on my Barracuda at one time and it is running 11.2 to 1, and turned it over just fine.

What else should I check? I really cant think of anything else. When the timing is at the 12* I had it at, driveability was good, and MPG was good...but off the primaries, it was just lazy. Taking off semi-hard off of a stoplight, it would almost stumble. The carb had been completely rebuilt right before the engine rebuild and ran like a top. Could it be maybe a little lean now with the addition of the cam? Other than adjusting the metering rods 1 turn up to eliminate part throttle miss at cruising speed, it is as it was with the old motor. Im not sure what else to check without going back into the motor.

1969 Nova
454/M21/3.31
Mild mid-11 second weekend cruiser

1994 F150 XLT Super Cab 2WD
5.0/4R70W/3.55
(Daily driver)