Quote:

Agree with patrick in that it's a timing issue ( although I have never seen 30 degrees of mechanical advance in a distributor before ). It sounds as though you have too much timing coming in too soon ( curve is too fast at the bottom end ). You can try replacing the light spring with a heavier one, or to verify that's the case, set the initial timing @ tdc or even a little on the retard side and see if that perks up the low end. It will obviuosly kill the top end ( and the vacuum )but it's just a test to see if the initial curve is too fast. For your set up, I would run about 12 mechanical degrees in the distributor ( 24 degrees @ the crank ) with initial timing at 12 degrees for a total mechanical of 36 dgerees - Curve to start around 1200rpm and all in around 2800 rpm. I'd run about 14 degrees of vacuum advance. This would give you a total of 50 degrees at cruise - 2800 rpm or above. Very common set up for a streeter.

all my degrees I mentioned were in crank degrees off of the damper, so the advance plate actually had 15 degrees in cam degrees, or 30 in crank. degrees.

you have it backwards. retarding the distributor will hurt low end, and move the powerband higher in the rev range, because at low RPM's the peak cyl pressure will occur after TDC with it retarded.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)