Quote:

Here's my problem:
About two months ago I replaced my old engine with a new one. The top end of my old engine was the same (except for the cam) and I used the same 440 Source starter and B&M converter (3200 stall) that I had with my old set-up.

Everything seemed fine until one day, while trying to get the timing in, my starter sheered off a half dozen teeth from my ring gear on my converter (it's a 727 car). I fired up the engine and - TA-DAH! - off come a dozen teeth. Rinse, repeat.
So now I'm on new ring gear #2 and I retarded the timing and this seemed to fix the problem (I'm at about 16 degrees initial). I fired it up again, only to hear the all-too-familiar sound of a tooth being sheered. Obviously, I'm scared to try and find the problem through trial-and-error at this point because I don't want to lose any more teeth in the process.
The problem is definitely in the ignition somewhere (and yes - I checked the firing order).
Has anyone ever had anything like this happen?
This is really frustrating and I appreciate any help that you can give!

If I don't get this thing figured out soon, you may be seeing a '68 Roadrunner on the "For Sale" board.

I had an identical problem years ago. I chased it with carbs, distributors, coils, plugs, wires, resistors only to find a jumped timing chain. New or not things break and bend. Doesn't cost anything to pull a valve cover,put #1 piston at TDC, and VERIFY the cam timing. If it's right, you have eliminated one possibility. If it ISN'T( I suspect this to be the case) guess what? Good luck, keep us posted ]

This space available for rent