Quote:

Quote:

Well let's put things in perspective, shall we? In 76, all makes had about the worst engine combo's going, thanks to Federal and CA smog laws, so you are comparing your 76 smogger to your 68 Caddie?

When you get right down to it, a 76 is no different than a 72, heads, CR, slightly better in some areas, slightly worse in others. Both are about as inefficient as a big-block came. I should add that my 76 is essentially running 72 parts, intake, MP dist., the carb and exhaust are aftermarket, its been effectively de-smogged, etc. It has a six pack cam as well and was well tuned. So yeah, i'm comparing my nicely installed "76" to a 68 Cad 472 with a lot ov problems... in a car that is 1400lbs heavier with a windshield you could show drive-in movies on.

Good job ignoring the fact that your 76 440 has a whopping 7.5:1 of factory compression ratio. Compression = efficiency and anything out of the late 60's would have had a CR in the 9's most likely. Then you take a smogger 440 and add a bit of cam to it, well you didn't have much cylinder pressure to start with any any cam over a stock passenger car/lo-po cam will drag down mpg.

Quote:

The exhaust he has is fine for his app.

No way it is causing that low of a MPG.

Big block cars with granny gears in the rear could click off better mileage than that from the factory, and the factory gave you a worse exhaust than what you've got on there now.

Also everyone thinks their car is well-tuned until someone puts a wideband o2 on it. Not to mention making sure the distributor is curved properly, a smogger 440 won't want the same curve as a 10:1 440.