Quote:

...i think 4...40's just suck in this dept. ....... stock 76 440, ..... gets around 8MPG.

I've never had a 440 in anything that could touch my 68 Cadillac's mileage,

Well let's put things in perspective, shall we? In 76, all makes had about the worst engine combo's going, thanks to Federal and CA smog laws, so you are comparing your 76 smogger to your 68 Caddie?

Here's a better example: Back in the day, my 70 sixpack RR--with OUT the sixpack, got 13.8 at 70mpg, and I DO NOT drive "for mileage." When I wanted to "leave" I "left" When I wanted to pass a car, they knew they'd been passed. When I used to get on a freeway, there was no doubt that "we" were going to merge. This was with an Edelbrock and 800DP.

The combo was: stock 440sixpack engine, headers, stock mufflers, Dana 3.54, G60 tires, and 3000 RPM at 70 mph. The car had "hang on AC" and an air grabber, not that it matters. That car with that combo would run 13.0's all night long at Carlsbad. I could not afford two rear axles, so 3.54's is what I ran

So the point is this: 13.8mpg, no careful driving, a car that would leave a 68 Caddie so far behind you couldn't see it after a couple of minutes, and much cooler to be seen in. As Dr Schill would say "are YOU KIDDIN ME?"