I have been involved with a car club and judged car shows for many years. Our club does appearance judging, not concourse judging, but I have been around those who strive to make every part the correct one NOS etc. etc. And frankly to me it is only a select few who will pay tons of money for a correct car. To me it is more of does the car function and look to the casual eye like it did in the area built. The issue is whether to enjoy the vehicle and drive it or preserve it as a museum piece haul it in a trailer and store in climate-controlled room. I started driving in 1972, and by the time I was working and had money to buy a decent car, the muscle cars of the 60's were dirt cheap thanks to the two gas crunches. Roadrunners, Chargers, 340 darts Cudas could be bought for almost nothing, in 1975 I had the chance to buy a 440 6 pack convertible for $1,500.00 And I had the money, but the insurance was so expensive I passed.
I did buy a 1970 340 four speed Dart for $500.00 and drove for several years before making it a race car. When I look at or purchase a collector car it is to revive old memories, of street racing on Hwy Y west of town, Or that special weekend when you meet a girl etc. etc. I could really care less if the Alternator is numbers matching. I just want it to sound, look, and feel like it did in my youth.