The converter is an Ultimate 9.5" It's been good. I will send it to be repaired. The back-up is an ATI 9.5". Both appear to be the same core, billet front half. Both run about the same. So the R instead of N incident. It broke an ear off the rear band pic 1. Found a core 65 trans in a racers pick up truck at Norwalk. Puled my trans and tore it apart. Had trouble removing the front planet. Also found a cracked flexplate. Inspecting the planet carrier I found some odd looking splines See pics 2&3. The font of the carrier looked ok. But from the rear you can see why its tight. Obviously my straight cut stuff couldn't be used due to the front planet. Put it all together at the track with the core geartrain and a borrowed flexplate. This was the only band failure it has ever had. Servos are stock. When I returned home I disassembled a stock front planet and swapped in the straight cut gears. I kept an eye on the splines during yearly inspections. Never looked bad again. Until it flat-out stripped last year pic 4. That was now 2 failures of the same component. Note: this is the early pre1971 shaft spline pressure angle. It was was changed. in 1971. How much stronger are they? I don't know as that shaft wont fit a 65 trans. The front planet is now a steel A&A 3 pin carrier with the straight cut gears transplanted into it. That's been it for my transmission failures. I have broken flexplates and converters. Along with Dana gear sets. Next post we'll get into what the rest of the sluff inside is.
Doug

20220830_081627.jpg20220830_081656.jpg20220830_081643.jpg20220830_081715.jpg
Last edited by dvw; 08/30/22 08:42 AM.