I own and operate a small engineering / industrial automation company based in Indiana. Previously, I worked as a design engineer and an Engineering Manager for an automation company before starting my business in 2014. That meant I had a few years of industry knowledge for the business model I was starting - although I do not do the exact same thing as when I was an employee for someone else. I started from scratch, zero customers, and zero products to sell.

Started the business in April 2014, and the trajectory went like this:
Year 1: lose a little money
Year 2: break even
Year 3: make a little profit
After that, pretty normal business for a single person company with extremely low overhead. Most years, I made 2-3x more than when I was an Engineering Manager employee. 2020 was tough in the cashflow department, but low overhead and myself as the only employee made it a little easier than other businesses had.

As far as growing the business, I am probably the biggest obstacle in my own way. I know that. I have also self-funded this business completely with the money it has generated - so taking out a loan or credit line to expand in some way seems scary to me. I am self-taught as far as running and owning a business. I know that limits the business as well.

I enjoy the freedom of doing this over working for other people. EVEN on the worst days / weeks/months / years, it is better! If that is a foreign concept to you - then having your own business might be a problem for you.

I am happy to elaborate more on the specifics of my business if you'd like to speak directly with me. PM me and i will give you my contact info.

1970 340 swinger. sublime
1967 barracuda fastback BB
55 Plymouth Project