Yes, I've seen burned bulkhead connectors as well as burned ammeters in the wrecking yard on 60's and 70's era Mopar cars. Both of those areas can be problems.

People adding accessories on the battery side is a problem since that forces additional current thru the ammeter. That is a good point that no everybody thinks of. I had that discussion with a guy not too long ago since he was adding EFI and electronic ignition. The instructions from Holley say that both the ignition system and the EFI system need to be connected directly to the battery. They also want the fuel pump connected to the battery. So that is an additional 30+ amps of stuff. If it is all connected to the battery on a classic Mopar with an ammeter then the alternator is going to need to send all the power to operate those items thru the ammeter. The instructions don't say anything about how to wire the system if you have an ammeter.

In my car I shunted the ammeter and installed a voltmeter just to avoid the issue of sending so much current thru the ammeter. I could've installed the EFI, ignition and fuel system on the alternator side of the ammeter, but that would've required more work and it isn't how Holley wants things installed. They want to use the battery as a large capacitor to filter out noise for the EFI computer.